Proposed cut to publicly-funded research (NIH)

In summary, the proposed budget cuts could have a dramatic effect on publicly funded science in the US. Scientists may not be able to reduce their costs by 20%, or survive through a year without new NIH grants. Labs may have to fire technicians, abandon ongoing research, or even close completely. Private-funding may not be an option for those doing research that doesn't align with the funder's interests.
Dembadon
Gold Member
Dr. Steven Novella contributes to a couple blogs I frequent:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/

A recent post addresses proposed budget cuts1 and the need for publicly-funded research:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/the-need-for-publicly-funded-science/
A sudden and dramatic cut in funding, such as an 18% decrease for the NIH, is a disaster for our biomedical research infrastructure. Some analysts say that this cut will essentially mean no new grants awarded in 2018, as the remaining budget is already earmarked for funding existing grants. This means that a lot of plates will start to fall.

Scientists cannot easily reduce their costs by 20%, or survive through a year without new NIH grants. New scientists may not be able to start their career, and are likely to disproportionately suffer from such a decrease. Labs may have to fire technicians, abandon ongoing research, or even close completely.

For those members of PF who rely on public funding for their research, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. Do you believe private funding will be an option? If not, will you be able to continue your research?

Will the private sector be able to make up for the proposed cuts? I have no doubts the money is there, but I feel like private-funding might not be an option for those doing research that doesn't align with the funder's interests.

1 http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/trumps-first-budget-analysis-and-reaction

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dembadon said:
Will the private sector be able to make up for the proposed cuts? I have no doubts the money is there, but I feel like private-funding might not be an option for those doing research that doesn't align with the funder's interests.
Business idea, kickstarter for science research?

Likes Buzz Bloom and Dembadon
I don't think that's likely; the sheer scale of the funds required is beyond what crowdsourcing could really provide, and often there is no real predictable monetary benefit.

"NOVEL USE OF POTASSIUM NITRATE FOR MRI IMAGING:
Novel research in the use of potassium nitrate as a contrast agent in MRI for the detection of breast cancer.

$150 pledged of $3,560,000 goal

2 Backers

Support?"

would you?

Likes Buzz Bloom, Greg Bernhardt and Evo
Dembadon said:

My research is dependent on external funding, and competition for funding has steadily gotten more difficult over time. I know lots of people who are in more precarious positions than I- soft-money 'research faculty' positions for example. Private funding (either through non-profits or for-profits) cannot replace federal funding- insufficient funds. In addition to submitting more collaborative proposals (to increase the 'relevance'), I expect to submit more proposals for research funding to other government agencies, typically military agencies.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Andy Resnick said:
My research is dependent on external funding, and competition for funding has steadily gotten more difficult over time. I know lots of people who are in more precarious positions than I- soft-money 'research faculty' positions for example. Private funding (either through non-profits or for-profits) cannot replace federal funding- insufficient funds. In addition to submitting more collaborative proposals (to increase the 'relevance'), I expect to submit more proposals for research funding to other government agencies, typically military agencies.

From what I've read, at least some of the cuts in NIH funding and other similar cuts in federal funding for scientific research will be redirected toward military/defense spending. Would the increase in the military or defense budget lead to more money available for the military to fund scientific research? (I know, it sounds circular, but then again I wonder if there is much logic involved in terms of decisions made regarding government budgets).

StatGuy2000 said:
From what I've read, at least some of the cuts in NIH funding and other similar cuts in federal funding for scientific research will be redirected toward military/defense spending. Would the increase in the military or defense budget lead to more money available for the military to fund scientific research? (I know, it sounds circular, but then again I wonder if there is much logic involved in terms of decisions made regarding government budgets).

It's unclear. In any case, the different agencies have different goals for funded projects. To be sure, 'grantsmanship' comes into play when translating (say) and NIH proposal into (say) an Army proposal, but the Army and NIH have very different goals and evaluation procedures.

Hi everyone. I also wanted to ask a separate question that is related to this thread. Would any of you on PF think that the proposed cuts to publicly funded research at the NIH (and possibly other agencies) may lead to an "exodus" of scientists leaving the US for other nations (e.g. Canada)?

Does anyone on PF based in the US know of people who have seriously considered, are planning, or have actually moved out of the US due to the potential funding climate that scientists may possibly face?

What is the proposed cut to publicly-funded research?

The proposed cut to publicly-funded research refers to a potential decrease in the budget for research funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This budget cut is being proposed by the government and could significantly impact the amount of funding available for scientific research projects.

Why is there a proposed cut to publicly-funded research?

The government often reviews and adjusts its budget for various programs, including research funding. The proposed cut to publicly-funded research may be due to a variety of factors, such as financial constraints, shifting priorities, or disagreements on the importance of certain research areas.

How will the proposed cut to publicly-funded research affect scientists and their work?

If the proposed cut is implemented, it could have a significant impact on scientists and their ability to conduct research. With less funding available, scientists may have to scale back or even abandon their projects, which could slow down progress in various fields of study. It may also lead to job losses and a decrease in the number of research opportunities available.

What are the potential consequences of the proposed cut to publicly-funded research?

The proposed cut could have far-reaching consequences for the scientific community and the general public. It could hinder important advancements in medicine, technology, and other fields, as well as potentially delay the development of potential treatments and cures for diseases. It could also impact the ability to attract and retain top talent in the scientific community.

What can be done to prevent the proposed cut to publicly-funded research?

There are several actions that can be taken to oppose the proposed cut to publicly-funded research. Scientists and their supporters can reach out to their representatives in government and advocate for the importance of research funding. They can also join organizations and initiatives that promote the value of scientific research and its impact on society. Additionally, scientists can seek alternative sources of funding, such as private grants and partnerships, to continue their work.