Pros and Cons of Nuclear Engineering

NullSector
Hey all. Quick questions for all you NEs and nuclear lovers out there.

I am currently finishing up HS and need to decide a major for college. I am trying to decide between EE and NE, but am strongly considering NE.

I have always loved nuclear energy and anything related to nuclear in general. I'm not obsessed to the point where I can explain a nuclear reaction to a T, but I have always been an advocate of nuclear-based energy and just love the concept of it in general.

I've seen people say that the biggest "gripe" with NE is the limitation of job locations, but I live in a state with 2 DOE sites and several decommissioning/storage sites that (currently) have plenty of openings (NM).

While I have been interested in circuits/transformers/etc, I haven't been all that interested in it, certainly not to the extent of nuclear energy/less peaceful methods. I read books on Fukushima, the maintenance of nuclear reactors, etc, but haven't gotten that into EE.
I excel in science/math, both have straight 100%, and the university I would be attending is rated #11 in the nation for NE.

So, my question is, should I pursue it? Is there any reason I shouldn't? Is it a good idea to?
Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need to decide now and not after your first year of college?

Likes russ_watters
Nuclear engineering kept me busy for about 45 years. Will it last another 45? Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. I'm not sure if it wss Niels Bohr or Yogi Berra who said that.

• Haha
Likes jbergman, Astronuc, berkeman and 2 others
gmax137 said:
I'm not sure if it wss Niels Bohr or Yogi Berra who said that.
You know, you never see them together, like Clark Kent and Superman. Hmmm...

• Haha
Likes phinds, Astronuc, Choppy and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
You know, you never see them together, like Clark Kent and Superman. Hmmm...
Actually that explains a lot.

Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you need to decide now and not after your first year of college?
different colleges. If I was going for EE, I would go to a different college than if I decided to go for NE.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
As a general rule I try to recommend avoiding specialization early on. A lot of engineering programs have a pretty common first year, and students don't really start to stream until year two. The wisdom in this is that it allows you to get a feel for what university is going to be like, you get another year to learn about your own interests, speak to more senior students and professors, even go to recruiting fairs on campus and speak to potential employers before you commit to a particular subfield.

As for the general, "goodness" of nuclear engineering... you might want to take a look at the specifics of the program you're considering. How specialized is it? Where are graduates getting hired? There's no one who's going to force you into a job in the nuclear industry if that's the stream you choose, but you'll have to pay attention to the skill set that the program instils and how applicable it will be to other fields if that industry isn't going to work out for you. There are adjacent industries, such as for example, radiation protection, industrial imaging, and depending on the details of the program, the door may even be open medical imaging. The nuclear industry itself tends to have only a small employers and those are subject to a lot of government regulation and the political will of the time. One cycle could see heavy investment because those in power see nuclear as a means to reducing carbon emissions, but the next could see the investment evaporate.

Likes Astronuc, russ_watters and berkeman
NullSector said:
different colleges
I'd pick the one with the broadest program. People's intrests change over time. There's a reason that (usually) one does not need to declare a major right away, at least not in a binding manner.

22-year old you may have a very different idea than 18-year old you.

Likes gwnorth, Astronuc and russ_watters
gmax137 said:
Nuclear engineering kept me busy for about 45 years.
Almost the same for me.

NullSector said:
I am trying to decide between EE and NE, but am strongly considering NE.
Usually one will start with the same math and science courses. I started of majoring in physics (astrophysics and nuclear physics), but then migrated into nuclear engineering (applied nuclear physics). In the NE undergraduate program, we took the same introductory courses as the EE majors (Circuit Analysis, Electromechanics, . . . ), in addition to Introduction to Nuclear Physics, and courses in Mechanical Engineering (Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics). A lot of it is learning the theory and the mathematics used to express and apply the theory. In nuclear energy, one might go into generation or reactor/plant instrumentation and control, and a related area is radiation detection and analysis.

I got interested in materials (so I took courses in materials science and engineering), and most of professional career has involved nuclear fuel performance, as well as nuclear fuel and reactor design and analysis. One could choose to work in industry, government research (one mentioned 2 DOE sites) or academia. I work with folks who have moved between 2 of the 3, and in some cases all three areas. I've worked in industry and government-sponsored research. Most recent work is in the area of radiation interactions in materials and the effects (changes in microstructure and how that affects performance/behavior).

These days, diversification is key because technology changes rapidly. So, in addition to engineering courses (including nuclear), I recommend taking as many physics courses as one can handle.

Computational physics, or multiphysics computation (modeling and simulation) is a growth area, with opportunities in various disciplines and industries.

Likes gmax137
I'd say go with what you love best, BUT ... others are correct in pointing out that what you love best after a few years may be different than now.

Likes jbergman
Astronuc said:
These days, diversification is key because technology changes rapidly.
For sure. Follow your heart, but always have a Plan B.

Astronuc said:
I got interested in materials (so I took courses in materials science and engineering),

If you've got the interest, materials science and engineering is a good option for Plan B. I know a guy who did his PhD in nuclear engineering, specializing in materials. Upon graduation, he did not find a job in the nuclear industry, but he got hired by an electrical components company. He is now working for an automotive company.

Likes jbergman
NullSector said:
Hey all. Quick questions for all you NEs and nuclear lovers out there.

I am currently finishing up HS and need to decide a major for college. I am trying to decide between EE and NE, but am strongly considering NE.

I have always loved nuclear energy and anything related to nuclear in general. I'm not obsessed to the point where I can explain a nuclear reaction to a T, but I have always been an advocate of nuclear-based energy and just love the concept of it in general.

I've seen people say that the biggest "gripe" with NE is the limitation of job locations, but I live in a state with 2 DOE sites and several decommissioning/storage sites that (currently) have plenty of openings (NM).

While I have been interested in circuits/transformers/etc, I haven't been all that interested in it, certainly not to the extent of nuclear energy/less peaceful methods. I read books on Fukushima, the maintenance of nuclear reactors, etc, but haven't gotten that into EE.
I excel in science/math, both have straight 100%, and the university I would be attending is rated #11 in the nation for NE.

So, my question is, should I pursue it? Is there any reason I shouldn't? Is it a good idea to?
Thanks so much!
If you know your interests, go with it. You're way ahead of most others. I expect the demand for Nuclear Engineers to continue.

Do you actually need a degree as specialized as NE to work in the nuclear industry? One of my siblings has worked at a nuclear power plant here in Canada for decades and his degree is in Electrical Engineering. He had a co-worker who was a Chem Eng. I mention this because I too am a firm believer in not specializing too much at the undergraduate level. I generally recommend sticking to the more traditional streams (EE, Chem, Mech etc) for undergrad and leaving specialization, if required, to graduate school. You can also frequently tailor your degree based on the specific technical electives you take in upper years if you're sure that there's a specific path you want to follow. That would allow you to have sufficient preparation to be hired in the nuclear industry if that's what you still wanted to do, while also leaving some doors open to branch into other areas.

Likes berkeman
gwnorth said:
Do you actually need a degree as specialized as NE to work in the nuclear industry?
Obviously not, jsut as you don't need a degree in Aeronautical Engineering to work in aviation.

However...

I would let an electrical engineer work on the power generation, and a chemical engineer work on the pressure vessel, but not vice versa. A nuclear engineer might work on either. That may also have value to an employer. Further, for systems-level integration, I would want someone with an understanding off all the elements of the system.

I would expect that while both EEs (as an example) and NEs can work in the industry, their career paths would be different.

PS I am sure even accounting majors are hired by the nuclear industry. :smile:

Likes jbergman