Prospective biomedical(neural) engineer need career guidance

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior considering a career in biomedical engineering with a focus on neural-engineering. They have chosen an undergraduate program in Systems Design engineering in Ontario, Canada, which offers a mix of electrical, mechanical, and computer engineering courses with a focus on systems theory and design projects. However, upon closer analysis, the speaker is concerned that this program may not be the best fit for their scientific career goals as it tends to lead students towards management and finance roles. They are considering transferring to a more scientifically-based program like engineering physics and have been advised to wait until their first year to make a decision.
Occasia
I am currently a high school senior strongly considering becoming a biomedical engineer and working on research somewhere within neural-engineering. I have chosen an undergraduate program that I now find might not of been the best route for me, and would like a second opinion.

I have currently been admitted to, and accepted my offer for a 'generalist' engineering program in Ontario Canada. The program is called Systems Design engineering, it's focus is on introducing the fundamentals of electrical, mechanical and computer engineering and then allowing the student to use electives to build their degree.
http://www.systems.uwaterloo.ca/about/index.html
It also includes a lot of courses on systems theory, and a lot of design courses/projects(~ one every 4 month term).

When I first assessed this program I thought it would be an excellent choice for me, due to the interdisciplinary nature of the program and of my career choice. I also was inspired by another individual who took this program, and now is the head of the neuroscience department in the same university, and will be teaching me my neural engineering courses.

However upon closer analysis I find that this program really targets business processes, like project management and optimization. Also I realized that the by far the most common route taken by people in this program is not into science or even engineering but into management, and into finance. This has troubled me, I am now wondering if this lack of focus into scientific career paths taken by most people in this program would be a hinderence to me, and if I should try to transfer into a more scientifically base program such as engineering physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you panic, you may want to compare your first year curriculum to that of other engineers. There's a good chance you'll all be doing the same courses and so you'll be qualified to transfer into the second year program of your choice. That means that you have time to make your decision. Attend your first year, and if you don't like the direction you're going in, change it before you get into second year.

Related to Prospective biomedical(neural) engineer need career guidance

1. What is the educational background required to become a biomedical/neural engineer?

The educational requirements for a prospective biomedical/neural engineer typically include a Bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering or a related field such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or computer science. Many universities also offer graduate programs in biomedical engineering for those seeking advanced degrees.

2. What are the job responsibilities of a biomedical/neural engineer?

Biomedical/neural engineers are responsible for designing, developing, and testing medical devices and equipment, as well as developing new technologies for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. They may also be involved in research and development in areas such as tissue engineering, biomaterials, and neural engineering.

3. What skills are necessary to excel as a biomedical/neural engineer?

A successful biomedical/neural engineer should have a strong foundation in math, science, and technology, as well as excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. They should also possess strong communication and teamwork skills, as they often collaborate with other professionals in the healthcare field.

4. What job opportunities are available for biomedical/neural engineers?

Biomedical/neural engineers can work in a variety of industries, including medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, research laboratories, and government agencies. They may also have opportunities to work in academia or start their own companies.

5. How can I gain experience and network in the field of biomedical/neural engineering?

One way to gain experience and network in the field is through internships or co-op programs during your undergraduate or graduate studies. You can also attend conferences and networking events, join professional organizations, and participate in research projects to connect with other professionals and learn about job opportunities in the field.