Protecting credit cards from contactless theft

• Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards
In summary, there is talk of the possibility of skimming a card by brushing against a victim's wallet with a simple gizmo. Some people are looking into investing in a lead lined box to protect their cards from being skimmed. The contactless card payment system is very handy but there is talk of the possibility of skimming a card by brushing against a victim's wallet with a simple gizmo.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The contactless card payment system is very handy but there is talk of the possibility of skimming a card by brushing against a victim's wallet with a simple gizmo. In fact, I've seen it done on TV.

What are the thoughts about how effective the screening could be with a piece of foil placed in the wallet? I would have expected it to give a good 20 or 30 dB worth of protection.
Even two cards, side by side in the same wallet could possibly protect each other - I know my bus pass won't work when it's next to a credit card and I have to unfold my wallet before offering it up to the pad.
I started googling but then I though that some PF members might have the knowledge about this already and maybe, even have experimented.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is an issue with the cards using chips right? The skimmer would still need the pin number though right?

Greg Bernhardt said:
This is an issue with the cards using chips right? The skimmer would still need the pin number though right?
No PIN is required; for amounts <$100 just access to the card is needed. Separation of up to a couple of metres between card and reader can be accommodated, apparently. Cafe diners have reported going to the desk to pay only to find card payment has already been taken and the receipt printed.

Metal lined card wallets are available to protect cards from being debited secretly in crowded places, on escalators, etc.

It's hard to believe banks and card companies could ever have approved such an insecure system so wide-open to abuse. I believe it is now possible to disable this facility on a card by card basis through your online account settings, if you don't wish to allow PIN-less transactions.

NascentOxygen said:
It's hard to believe banks and card companies could ever have approved such an insecure system
It's really scary! The only ameliorating factor is the fairly low limit to the value of money involved.

sophiecentaur said:
The only ameliorating factor is the fairly low limit to the value of money involved.
Ah! There you're wrong! If I steal your card, I can buy an any amount of groceries simply by swiping the card multiple times, each time paying just as the tally nears $100. So long as the purchases can be paid for in lots under $100, there is almost no limit, AFAIK. (Well, until you run up against the daily max for that card's owner.)

So while I can't buy an assembled bicycle, I can buy all the pieces and assemble it myself (well, those pieces priced under $100, anyway). :wink:

AFAIK, the limit in UK is only 10GBP which would make grand scale theft difficult.
I may invest in a lead lined box for my cards.

NascentOxygen said:
It's hard to believe banks and card companies could ever have approved such an insecure system so wide-open to abuse.
Agreed! So does anyone have any evidence/sources that this flaw actually exists?

Flaw? It's by design!

Local police report credit card fraud has soared since PIN-less payment was introduced to Australia.

I can't see why cards can't have a corner with a built-in strain gauge or sensor for light- or temperature-differential, and require that this corner be held between fingers whileever a PIN-less transaction is actioned. Then miscreants couldn't debit your account while the card is stowed in your pocket, wallet, purse, etc.

I'm really more interested in how to deal with the problem than anything. I have actually found the contactless system to be quite useful so I would like not to have to do without the facility.
NascentOxygen said:
I can't see why cards can't have a corner with a built-in strain gauge or sensor for light- or temperature-differential,
But present cards have none of those yet many people have one (even if they aren't aware of it).

1. How does contactless theft happen?

Contactless theft, also known as RFID (radio-frequency identification) skimming, occurs when a thief uses a device to intercept the radio waves emitted by your credit card. This allows them to access your card information without physically stealing your card.

2. How can I protect my credit card from contactless theft?

The most effective way to protect your credit card from contactless theft is to use a RFID-blocking wallet or sleeve. These products contain a special material that blocks the radio waves from being intercepted by a skimming device.

3. Are all credit cards vulnerable to contactless theft?

No, not all credit cards have RFID technology. Cards with a contactless symbol (a series of curved lines) on the front are equipped with RFID technology and are vulnerable to contactless theft. If you are concerned about the safety of your credit card, you can contact your credit card issuer to see if they offer a non-RFID option.

4. Can a thief still steal my credit card information if my card is in my wallet?

Yes, a thief can still steal your credit card information even if your card is in your wallet. However, the RFID-blocking material in a wallet or sleeve can prevent the interception of the radio waves, making it more difficult for a thief to access your card information.

5. Can I disable the RFID technology on my credit card?

Some credit card issuers allow you to disable the RFID technology on your credit card, but this will also disable the contactless payment feature. You can contact your credit card issuer to see if this is an option for your card. However, using a RFID-blocking wallet or sleeve is a more convenient and effective way to protect your credit card from contactless theft.