Protective Gear Against Extreme G Forces in High-Speed Vehicles

• Thread starter new6ton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary: C5fz... So a seat belt or G suit is enough to protect against it?A G-suit is designed to prevent a black-out and g-LOC (g-induced loss of consciousness) caused by the blood pooling in the lower part of the body when under acceleration, thus depriving the brain of blood.
new6ton
What kind of suit or technology can protect a person from sudden acceleration or extreme Gs and turns that could instantly crush a normal person without protection inside a flying rocket or vehicle?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A seat belt.

Likes russ_watters
Are you writing a SF story?

Fighter pilots use a G suit. Is that what you're asking about?

I watched the Michio Kaku interview about vehicle that accelerates suddenly and he said no humans could survive it. So a seat belt or G suit is enough to protect against it? Michio was talking about the following descriptions (in History Channel) in the interview (See the thread in General Discussions or Michio official Twitter https://twitter.com/michiokaku ):

"2) Sudden and instantaneous acceleration. The objects may accelerate or change direction so quickly that no human pilot could survive the g-forces—they would be crushed. In the Nimitz incident, radar operators say they tracked one of the UFOs as it dropped from the sky at more than 30 times the speed of sound. Black Aces squadron commander David Fravor, the Nimitz-based fighter pilot who was sent to intercept one of the objects, likened its rapid side-to-side movements, later captured on infrared video, to that of a ping-pong ball. Radar operators on the USS Princeton, part of the Nimitz carrier group, tracked the object accelerating from a standing position to traveling 60 miles in a minute—an astounding 3,600 miles an hour. According to manufacturer Boeing, the F/A 18 Super Hornet fighter jet typically currently reaches a maximum speed of Mach 1.6, or about 1,200 miles an hour."

so a seat belt and G suit is the solution. Didn't they know it?

new6ton said:
So a seat belt or G suit is enough to protect against it?
Mathematics is the language of science. Numbers are the language of engineering.

Don't you see that your question can't be answered until you define "it". How much acceleration? How many Gs?

In a fighter jet, 6 Gs is common. I don't know the maximum G.

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
Mathematics is the language of science. Numbers are the language of engineering.

Don't you see that your question can't be answered until you define "it". How much acceleration? How many Gs?

In a fighter jet, 6 Gs is common. I don't know the maximum G.

The Navy radar and visual showed the object went down from 28,000 feet down to the surface of the ocean at 0.78 second or 24,000 miles per hour or over 30 times the speed of sound.

How many Gs is this? how do you convert? Can seat belt or G suits protect any occupant?

Descriptions sound like the actions of "very advanced technology" drones to me.

new6ton said:
Can seat belt or G suits protect any occupant?
Depends on the occupant. Read up on tardigrades.

There is a larger issue here: the derivative of the acceleration, known (at least colloquially) as the "jerk". This leads to differential forces.

Likes russ_watters
new6ton said:
The Navy radar and visual showed the object went down from 28,000 feet down to the surface of the ocean at 0.78 second or 24,000 miles per hour or over 30 times the speed of sound.

How many Gs is this? how do you convert?
Gs is acceleration, not speed. Do you know the difference? The equations relating them are quite simple - have you taken any introductory physics?

Also, note that while we can help you understand the numbers, we can't discuss the veracity of UFO claims.

new6ton said:
What kind of suit or technology can protect a person from sudden acceleration or extreme Gs and turns that could instantly crush a normal person without protection inside a flying rocket or vehicle?
Acceleration that would kill a human

A G-suit is designed to prevent a black-out and g-LOC (g-induced loss of consciousness) caused by the blood pooling in the lower part of the body when under acceleration, thus depriving the brain of blood.

The G-suit is fitted with inflatable bladders which, when pressurized through a g-sensitive valve in the aircraft or spacecraft , press firmly on the abdomen and legs, thus restricting the draining of blood away from the brain during periods of high acceleration.

Nothing can prevent a force caused by acceleration from crushing a person, since the force acts directly on the matter that is under acceleration. For example, if a person is under a vertical acceleration of 100 g's, it will weight something like 15 000 lb. This means that its legs must support that weight or, most likely, they will be crushed under that force. Even putting a metal structure around the legs won't help: the legs will only lean against the structure with the full 15 000 lb weight still acting on the legs.

I recently saw a video of a stunt pilot who not only survived 12Gs for just under 1 second but didn't even pass out. However, he made a statement that he was aware that he was one of the very few people who could do that.

new6ton said:

How many Gs is this? how do you convert? Can seat belt or G suits protect any occupant?

Please confirm my computations of how many Gs is the above values. Yesterday I did some calculations

24,000 miles per hour = 38624256 meters per hour
38624256 meters per hour = 10,728.96 meters per second

Then I divide 10,728.96 by 9.8 (acceleration due to gravity) to come up with 1094 meters per second

acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second per second. Meaning in 2 seconds, it's twice the 9.8. I thought the 1094 meter per second is like that too. So I estimated 1094 Gs. But someone just replied acceleration is not the same as speed. So I realized the 1094 meters per second is the speed. How do you get the acceleration of that? It stop immediately at surface of ocean after traveling for 0.78 second from 28,000 feet. Just for sake of computations. How do you compute the Gs for this?

new6ton said:
t stop immediately at surface of ocean after traveling for 0.78 second from 28,000 feet.
"Immediate" stop => infinite Gs

I would suggest that you drop the UFO nonsense and learn some physics (including the math).

Last edited:
Likes Bystander and jrmichler

1. What is Extreme G Protective Gear?

Extreme G Protective Gear is a type of protective equipment designed specifically for extreme sports and activities such as motocross, mountain biking, and skateboarding. It is made up of various pieces of gear, including helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards, to help protect the wearer from injuries.

2. How does Extreme G Protective Gear work?

Extreme G Protective Gear works by providing a layer of protection between the wearer's body and potential impact or friction. The gear is typically made of durable materials such as hard plastic, foam, and fabric to absorb and distribute the force of a fall or collision.

3. Is Extreme G Protective Gear necessary for extreme sports?

While it is not required by law to wear protective gear for extreme sports, it is highly recommended. Extreme G Protective Gear can greatly reduce the risk of serious injuries, such as broken bones or concussions, and can also provide added confidence for the wearer to push their limits.

4. How do I choose the right size for Extreme G Protective Gear?

It is important to choose the right size for Extreme G Protective Gear to ensure proper fit and maximum protection. Most gear will have a size chart or measurement guide to help you determine the best size for your body. It is also recommended to try on the gear before purchasing to ensure a comfortable and secure fit.

5. How do I properly care for Extreme G Protective Gear?

To ensure the longevity and effectiveness of your Extreme G Protective Gear, it is important to properly care for it. This may include wiping down the gear after use, storing it in a cool and dry place, and replacing any damaged or worn out pieces. It is also important to follow any care instructions provided by the manufacturer.