Protein synthesized (Chem) Question HELP

In summary, the complementary base sequence for RNA is A, U instead of T. The sequence for DNA is T, U instead of U.
PhysicsNoob88
I am having trouble answering the following question any help would be greatly apperciated.

1. A protein must be synthesized by a cell. Part of the amino acid sequence in this protein is:

-Ala-Gly-Thr-Leu-

The codons for these amino acids are:
Gly -- G G C
Leu -- C U A
Thr -- U A U
Ala -- G C A

Write the base sequence for the complete chain as given and the complimentary bases as would be found in the DNA from which it was taken.

I am completely confused on how to appoarch this problem...

It said the whole sequence however only part is given. So what I am assumping it is G C A G G C U A U C U A? But as far as complimentary bases I am at a lost. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
After trying it a bit more on my own I got this.

G - C
C - G
A - T
G - C
G - C
C - G
U - A
A - T
U - A
C - G
U - A
A - T

(On the left side is the bcomplete chain and on the right is the complimentary bases)

Can anyone verfiy this please? Thanks!

Last edited:
The complimentary sequence is ok but your complete sequence (the one on the left) is incorrect.

Do you know the difference between RNA and DNA in terms of base pair composition?

The answer to this question should help you find and correct the mistakes.

I am a bit confused. I thought that when it comes to paring that you just pair T's with the A's and A's with the U's. And of course- C's with G's and G's with C's. I am greatly confused :( there are roughly 10 problems similar to the question above that are due tomorrow. I was hoping to use this question as a template for my other questions. Can you or anyone please be more specific as to what is wrong? Thanks!

When you are talking about DNA, the base pair are A, T, G and C

When you talking about RNA, the base pair are A, U (instead of T), G and C.

You pairing is fine but you have to make sure that you are using the right base pair. If the question asks about DNA, you sequence should have T's and not have U's. If the question asks about RNA, then your sequence should U's instead of the T's.

Codon's for amino acid are encoded by transfer RNA so the sequence will have U. Therefore when the question ask about the DNA sequence, you cannot use the codon sequence as is, you must change U's for T's.

You may want to look at the following pages for some background info:
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/N/Nucleotides.html
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/T/Translation.html

oh. I understand now, thank you for the links and the clarification. Time to get busy on the other problems.

Related to Protein synthesized (Chem) Question HELP

What is protein synthesis?

Protein synthesis is the process by which cells create proteins, which are essential for carrying out various functions in the body.

Why is protein synthesis important?

Protein synthesis is important because proteins are involved in many crucial biological processes, such as cell growth and repair, enzyme production, and hormone regulation.

How is protein synthesized?

Protein synthesis involves two main steps: transcription and translation. In transcription, the DNA sequence of a gene is copied into a messenger RNA (mRNA) molecule. In translation, the mRNA is read by ribosomes and translated into a specific sequence of amino acids, which make up a protein.

What factors can affect protein synthesis?

Several factors can influence protein synthesis, including the availability of nutrients and energy, hormones, and external stimuli such as stress and exercise. Genetic mutations can also impact the production of specific proteins.

What are the applications of understanding protein synthesis?

Understanding protein synthesis has many applications in the fields of medicine, biotechnology, and agriculture. It can help us develop treatments for genetic disorders, design new drugs, and improve crop yields, among other things.