Proton electron mass ratio calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding Mp/Me with basis on the Bohr's atomic model and hydrogen emission spectrum lines. The equations used include l=rp=nh_, h_=h/2pi, E=-K.e^2/2r, r=(n^2.h_^2)/Me.e^2.k, and k=1/(4pi.ε0). The attempt at a solution involved using angular momentum quantification and gravitational force instead of electromagnetic force between the proton and electron. However, this led to an incorrect value for Me.Mp. The individual is seeking further guidance to solve the question.
Tsumi89

Homework Statement

Hello! I've come upon this question and haven't been able to find it anywhere. The goal is to find Mp/Me with basis on the Bohr's atomic model and hydrogen emisson spectrum lines.

Homework Equations

l=rp=nh_ ; h_=h/2pi ; E=-K.e^2/2r ; r=(n^2.h_^2)/Me.e^2.k ; k=1/(4pi.ε0)

wave lengh for first line of Balmer series on the air= 656,279 nm

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was the following: I actually didn't use the spectral lines information cause I wasn't able to see how could they help me. So I used angular momentum quantification which leads to the equations above for E and r, but instead of using electromagnetic force between the proton and the electron I used the gravitational force between both. That led me to this: Me.Mp=2r.E/-G ; now, not only this gives Me.Mp instead of Mp/Me, but it also gives a wrong value of Me.Mp. ...Hope someone can help me ^^
Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for helping...

Could somebody point me in the right direction? An year has gone by and this question hits me again x) and I still can't solve it.

Related to Proton electron mass ratio calculation

1. How is the proton-electron mass ratio calculated?

The proton-electron mass ratio is calculated by dividing the mass of a proton by the mass of an electron. This value is approximately 1836.152.

2. What is the significance of the proton-electron mass ratio?

The proton-electron mass ratio is important in understanding the structure of atoms and the forces that hold them together. It also plays a crucial role in many scientific calculations and theories, such as quantum mechanics and the formation of stars.

3. How accurate is the current value of the proton-electron mass ratio?

The current accepted value of the proton-electron mass ratio is accurate to eight decimal places. This level of precision is necessary for many scientific calculations and experiments.

4. Has the value of the proton-electron mass ratio changed over time?

Yes, the value of the proton-electron mass ratio has changed over time as more accurate measurements have been made. In the past, the value was estimated to be around 1836, but with advancements in technology, the current accepted value is more precise.

5. Are there any practical applications of the proton-electron mass ratio?

While the proton-electron mass ratio may not have direct practical applications, it plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws of the universe. This knowledge has led to the development of technologies such as nuclear energy and medical imaging.