What is the name of this triangular geometric shape?

In summary, the conversation discusses a geometric tower made of equilateral triangles and octahedrons that has a fractal quality when zoomed in. It is inspired by origami designs and has an infinite number of surfaces with each level being half the height and 1/4 the surface area of the previous. It is similar to a three dimensional Sierpenski Triangle but with a different expansion pattern.
shintashi
I used to think it was called Zeno's tower, but then realized I probably called it that because it reminded me of his paradox. I have been unable to find this shape on the internet, although I saw a small steel tower outside Stonybrook using this geometry.

I have attached an image of the basic structure and an animated gif in rotation to show how the angles look from different sides.

The pattern is equilateral triangles at 90 degrees to the edges, where a new triangle at 60 degree rotation forms the next level. This repeats to infinity, getting 4 times less surface area each floor. From some angles, its quite crude, and at other angles, its seamless.

Again, I have no idea if there is a name for this pattern, which has a kind of fractal quality when you zoom into the top.
triangle tower.png
output_dlzjZE.gif

Attachments

• output_dlzjZE.gif
    output_dlzjZE.gif
    688.8 KB · Views: 659
  • triangle tower.png
    triangle tower.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 507
Likes andrewkirk
Mathematics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
I think you’d call it an octehedral tower as each segment is an eight sided polyhedron ie an octahedron.

I found this related article of origami inspired designs

http://www.origamiheaven.com/macromodularorigami.htm

it is true that it has some octagonal properties, but what's really interesting is how it expresses an X^2 expansion using a 3/6 side. There's an infinite number of surfaces, as you go further and further up, each is half the height and 1/4 the surface area of the previous. From the top, if you look through it, each distance expands exactly at the same ratio as light diffusion. This should be mathematically obvious, but I made one of these out of wood in 2007 and that's how i figured it out. The octahedral tower is nice but its linear, while this tower follows an exponential change creating a repeating simple fractal pattern. In a lot of ways, this tower is similar to three dimensional Sierpenski Triangle, but expands differently with saturation of increased triangles focused ever closer to the top, rather than equidistant.

What is the name of this triangular geometric shape?

The name of this triangular geometric shape is a triangle.

What are the characteristics of a triangle?

A triangle is a polygon with three sides and three angles. It is also a closed figure and its interior angles add up to 180 degrees.

What are the types of triangles?

The three main types of triangles are equilateral, isosceles, and scalene. Equilateral triangles have three equal sides and three equal angles, isosceles triangles have two equal sides and two equal angles, and scalene triangles have no equal sides or angles.

What are some real-life examples of triangles?

Triangles are found in many everyday objects such as roof trusses, musical instruments like guitars and violins, and road signs. They are also commonly seen in nature, such as in the shape of a sail on a boat or the leaves on a tree.

How are triangles used in mathematics and science?

Triangles are used in many mathematical and scientific calculations, such as finding the area and perimeter of a shape, determining angles and distances, and understanding the principles of trigonometry. They are also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics to create and analyze structures and shapes.