Prove by induction that r(r-1)(r+1) is an even integer

In summary, the conversation discusses using induction to prove that when r(r-1)(r+1) is an even integer for r=2,3,4... The base cases of r=2 and r=3 are shown to be true, and then the proof proceeds by assuming that k(k-1)(k+1) is true and showing that it leads to the expression 2F+3k(k+1) which is always divisible by 2 and therefore an even integer. It is also mentioned that induction is not necessary for this proof.
sooyong94

Homework Statement

Prove by induction, that when r(r-1)(r+1) is an even integer when r=2,3,4...

Homework Equations

Prove by induction

The Attempt at a Solution

I began with the base case r=2, leading 6.
Then I proceed with r=3, leading 24.

Now if r=k is true, then k(k-1)(k+1) is also true.
If r=k+1, then (k+1)(k)(k+2)
But now I'm stuck at this point - how do I proceed with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write k(k-1)(k+1)=2F where F is an integer.

k(k-1)(k+1) = 2F
k^3 - k=2F

k(k+1)(k+2) = k^3 +3k^2 +2k
= k^3 - k +3k^2 +3k
=2F+3k(k+1)

sooyong94 said:
2F+3k(k+1)
You can still substitute k(k+1) using k(k-1)(k+1)=2F.

2F+3(2F/(k-1) ?

sooyong94 said:
2F+3(2F/(k-1) ?
Yes. Now you should see why it is an even integer.

Ah I see already - since 2F= 2F+6F/(k-1), when k is not equal to 1, it is divisible by 2.

sooyong94 said:
2F= 2F+6F/(k-1),
I don't know if that's a typo or on purpose, but the LHS and RHS cannot be equal. Moreover, apart from being divisible by two you should also be convinced that 2F+6F/(k-1) is indeed an integer.

Ah sorry about that.

Somewhat OT, but in fact, (r - 1)r(r + 1) is divisible by 6, for r = 1, 2, 3, ...

Looks like I managed to work them out. Please mark this thread as solved. ;)

You know, induction isn't really needed here. For any ##r##, either ##r## or ##r+1## is even. Multiplying any integer by an even number yields an even number.

1. What is induction and how does it apply to proving this statement?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove a statement for all natural numbers. In this case, we will use induction to prove that the expression r(r-1)(r+1) is always an even integer for all values of r.

2. How do we start the induction proof for this statement?

The first step is to prove that the statement is true for the base case, which is usually r = 1. In this case, we can see that 1(1-1)(1+1) = 0, which is an even integer. So, the statement holds true for the base case.

3. What is the induction hypothesis and how do we use it in this proof?

The induction hypothesis is the assumption that the statement holds true for some arbitrary value of r, let's call it k. So, we assume that k(k-1)(k+1) is an even integer. We will use this assumption to prove that the statement also holds true for k+1.

4. How do we prove the statement for the next value of r using induction?

To prove the statement for k+1, we substitute k+1 in place of r in the expression and simplify it. So, we have (k+1)((k+1)-1)((k+1)+1) = (k+1)(k)(k+2) = k(k+1)(k+2). Using the induction hypothesis, we know that k(k-1)(k+1) is an even integer. And since 2 is a factor of k(k+1)(k+2), it is also an even integer. Thus, the statement holds true for k+1.

5. Can we use induction to prove this statement for all real numbers?

No, we can only use induction to prove a statement for natural numbers. This is because the induction hypothesis relies on the property that the statement holds true for a previous value of r. Since real numbers are not discrete, we cannot use induction to prove this statement for all real numbers.