Prove its Gauss curvature K = 1

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the surface's first fundamental form and the equation used to find its curvature. The attempt at a solution involves finding the partials and using them to find K, but there was an error with using the denominators of E and G.
Shackleford

Homework Statement

Assume that the surface has the first fundamental form as

E = G = 4(1+u2+v2)-2

F = 0[/B]

Homework Equations

K = [itex]\frac{-1}{2\sqrt{EG}}[(\frac{E_v}{\sqrt{EG}})_v + (\frac{G_u}{\sqrt{EG}})_u][/itex][/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ev = -16v*(1+u2+v2)-3

Gu = -16u*(1+u2+v2)-3

When I take the partials and find K, I get something messy that doesn't lead me to the conclusion that K = 1.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by substituting E=G and \sqrt(EG) = |E|.
What did you end up with?

Thanks for the reply. I found my error a little bit ago. For some reason, I kept using the denominator of E and G AS E and G. -_- It was late, so I'll credit it to sleep deprivation. Heh.

Related to Prove its Gauss curvature K = 1

1. What is Gauss curvature?

Gauss curvature, also known as Gaussian curvature, is a measure of the curvature of a surface at a specific point. It is named after the German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss and is a key concept in the field of differential geometry.

2. How is Gauss curvature calculated?

Gauss curvature is calculated using the first and second fundamental forms of a surface, which describe the local geometry of the surface at a specific point. The formula for Gauss curvature is K = det(I) / det(II), where I and II are the first and second fundamental forms, respectively.

3. What does it mean for Gauss curvature to be equal to 1?

If Gauss curvature is equal to 1, it means that the surface is a sphere. This is because the Gaussian curvature of a sphere is constant and equal to 1 at every point on the surface. In other words, a sphere has the same curvature in all directions.

4. Why is it important to prove that Gauss curvature equals 1?

Proving that Gauss curvature is equal to 1 is important because it allows us to identify and classify surfaces in three-dimensional space. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of differential geometry and plays a crucial role in many applications, such as in the field of cartography.

5. What are some real-world examples of surfaces with Gauss curvature equal to 1?

Some real-world examples of surfaces with Gauss curvature equal to 1 include spheres, cylinders, and cones. In nature, the earth's surface also has a Gauss curvature close to 1, making it very close to a perfect sphere.