Prove relation between the group of integers and a subgroup

In summary, a friend tried to find a solution to a problem involving numbers spawning out of nowhere and a lot of other stuff going on which he couldn't make sense of. He found a solution by choosing the smallest positive number in a set of integers which also includes the number 0.
PhysicsRock
Homework Statement
Let ##X \subseteq \mathbb{Z}## be a subgroup of ##(\mathbb{Z},0,+)##. Show that an ##l \in \mathbb{N}_0## exists such that ##X = l \cdot \mathbb{Z}##.
Relevant Equations
There are no other equations, so I'm just gonna state the hint that comes with the problem here. It is: In case ##\{ 0 \} \subsetneq X## choose ##l = \min(X \cap \mathbb{N})##.
So, a friend of mine has attempted a solution. Unfortunately, he's having numbers spawn out of nowhere and a lot of stuff is going on there which I can't make sense of. I'm going to write down the entire attempt.

$$
0 \in X \; \text{otherwise no subgroup since neutral element isn't included} \notag
$$

For each additional element ##x##, ##-x## has to be an element as well, to satisfy the condition of an inverse. Now let ##H_+## be the set of all elements of ##X## that are greater or equal to ##0## and likewise for ##H_-## containing all negative integers. Then ##X = H_+ \cup H_-##. Following the hint, let ##l## be the smallest number contained in ##X##. For ##H_+,H_-##, ##l \cdot h = \underbrace{h + h + h + ... + h}_{l-times}## has to be an element of the respective group too, because of closedness.

Now let ##h \in H_+##. Then ##h = l \cdot z + r## with ##r < l## (don't know where the ##r## is coming from and why it has to be less than ##l##). Since ##l## is the smallest positive number and ##r < l##, it follows that ##r = 0## and this ##x = l \cdot z \, \forall \, x \in X##. The process is analogous for ##H_-##.

Does this make sense and if not, what went wrong? Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsRock said:
Homework Statement:: Let ##X \subseteq \mathbb{Z}## be a subgroup of ##(\mathbb{Z},0,+)##. Show that an ##l \in \mathbb{N}_0## exists such that ##X = l \cdot \mathbb{Z}##.
Relevant Equations:: There are no other equations, so I'm just going to state the hint that comes with the problem here. It is: In case ##\{ 0 \} \subsetneq X## choose ##l = \min(X \cap \mathbb{N})##.

So, a friend of mine has attempted a solution. Unfortunately, he's having numbers spawn out of nowhere and a lot of stuff is going on there which I can't make sense of. I'm going to write down the entire attempt.

$$
0 \in X \; \text{otherwise no subgroup since neutral element isn't included} \notag
$$

For each additional element ##x##, ##-x## has to be an element as well, to satisfy the condition of an inverse. Now let ##H_+## be the set of all elements of ##X## that are greater or equal to ##0## and likewise for ##H_-## containing all negative integers. Then ##X = H_+ \cup H_-##. Following the hint, let ##l## be the smallest number contained in ##X##. For ##H_+,H_-##, ##l \cdot h = \underbrace{h + h + h + ... + h}_{l-times}## has to be an element of the respective group too, because of closedness.

Now let ##h \in H_+##. Then ##h = l \cdot z + r## with ##r < l## (don't know where the ##r## is coming from and why it has to be less than ##l##). Since ##l## is the smallest positive number and ##r < l##, it follows that ##r = 0## and this ##x = l \cdot z \, \forall \, x \in X##. The process is analogous for ##H_-##.

Does this make sense and if not, what went wrong? Thanks everyone!
It is correct. Written in a bit confusing way that suggests you didn't understand all steps, but all in all correct.

##X\subseteq \mathbb{Z}## is a subgroup. So ##0\in X## and ##X\neq \emptyset.##

If ##X=\{0\}## then ##X=0\cdot \mathbb{Z}## and we are done.

Next, we assume that ##\{0\}\subsetneq X## is a proper subgroup, i.e. ##X## contains at least one element ##x\neq 0.## With ##x\in X## we also have ##-x\in X## and either ##x## or ##-x## is positive. This means that ##X## contains a number ##x>0.## Since the natural numbers (positive integers) are bounded from below, we can choose the smallest positive ##X\ni l>0.##

We now apply the Euclidean algorithm, i.e. the ordinary division, and divide any number ##x\in X## by ##l.## Unfortunately, we are not allowed to divide ##x## by ##l## since ##\mathbb{Z}## doesn't contain all quotients. What we can do is to subtract ##l## from ##x## as long as the result is greater or equal ##l.## This is basically the long division: ##x=q\cdot l +r.## Subtract ##l## as long from ##x## as ##r\geq l,## here ##q## times, until ##r<l.## We can always perform this step such that ##0\leq r,## because we can select ##q<0## if necessary.

We now rearrange the equation: ##r=x-q\cdot l=\underbrace{x}_{\in X} - \underbrace{(\underbrace{l+l+\ldots +l}_{q\text{ times}}}_{\in X} \in X.##

However, ##X\ni r\geq 0## can only be the case if ##r=0## by the choice of ##l## as the minimal element among those in ##X##. Thus any arbitrary element ##x\in X## is of the form ##x=q\cdot l+0,## i.e. ##X=\mathbb{Z}\cdot l.##

The distinction between ##H_+## and ##H_-## isn't necessary. The Euclidean algorithm works for all integers in a way such that the remainder of consecutive subtractions are always positive. If necessary, i.e. if ##x<0,## then we perform consecutive additions instead.

fresh_42 said:
It is correct. Written in a bit confusing way that suggests you didn't understand all steps, but all in all correct.

##X\subseteq \mathbb{Z}## is a subgroup. So ##0\in X## and ##X\neq \emptyset.##

If ##X=\{0\}## then ##X=0\cdot \mathbb{Z}## and we are done.

Next, we assume that ##\{0\}\subsetneq X## is a proper subgroup, i.e. ##X## contains at least one element ##x\neq 0.## With ##x\in X## we also have ##-x\in X## and either ##x## or ##-x## is positive. This means that ##X## contains a number ##x>0.## Since the natural numbers (positive integers) are bounded from below, we can choose the smallest positive ##X\ni l>0.##

We now apply the Euclidean algorithm, i.e. the ordinary division, and divide any number ##x\in X## by ##l.## Unfortunately, we are not allowed to divide ##x## by ##l## since ##\mathbb{Z}## doesn't contain all quotients. What we can do is to subtract ##l## from ##x## as long as the result is greater or equal ##l.## This is basically the long division: ##x=q\cdot l +r.## Subtract ##l## as long from ##x## as ##r\geq l,## here ##q## times, until ##r<l.## We can always perform this step such that ##0\leq r,## because we can select ##q<0## if necessary.

We now rearrange the equation: ##r=x-q\cdot l=\underbrace{x}_{\in X} - \underbrace{(\underbrace{l+l+\ldots +l}_{q\text{ times}}}_{\in X} \in X.##

However, ##X\ni r\geq 0## can only be the case if ##r=0## by the choice of ##l## as the minimal element among those in ##X##. Thus any arbitrary element ##x\in X## is of the form ##x=q\cdot l+0,## i.e. ##X=\mathbb{Z}\cdot l.##

The distinction between ##H_+## and ##H_-## isn't necessary. The Euclidean algorithm works for all integers in a way such that the remainder of consecutive subtractions are always positive. If necessary, i.e. if ##x<0,## then we perform consecutive additions instead.
Thank you so much. Actually getting it explained is always super helpful. All I got were the equations. My friend didn't explain his steps and his handwriting was hard to read anyway, so I had a very hard time figuring out what each step meant. But this really does explain everything nicely. Thank you again :)

Why not simply:

Let ##l## be the least positive element in ##X##. By induction ##l\mathbb Z \subseteq X##.

If there exists positive ##k \in X## but ##k \notin l\mathbb Z## then ##nl < k < (n+1)l## for some ##n##. Hence ##k -nl \in X## with ##0< k -nl < l##. Contradiction.

PeroK said:
Why not simply:

Let ##l## be the least positive element in ##X##. By induction ##l\mathbb Z \subseteq X##.

If there exists positive ##k \in X## but ##k \notin l\mathbb Z## then ##nl < k < (n+1)l## for some ##n##. Hence ##k -nl \in X## with ##0< k -nl < l##. Contradiction.
This is the identical proof just without all the technical details and references to the group axioms and the fact that Euclidean rings are principal ideal domains. Whether you write ##k=nl+r## or ##x=ql+r## isn't really a difference.

fresh_42 said:
This is the identical proof just without all the technical details and references to the group axioms and the fact that Euclidean rings are principal ideal domains. Whether you write ##k=nl+r## or ##x=ql+r## isn't really a difference.
It seems to me that the OP may be too focused on the details and not yet able to see the outline of a proof for himself. The details rarely sort themselves out without my knowing what I'm trying to do.

I think it's important for the OP to recognise the common proof ideas here, as well as follow a complete step by step solution.

Likes martinbn
Choosing a minimal element (##l##) from a subset of ##\mathbb{N}## and using the Euclidean division to find a smaller element (##r##) which leads to either a contradiction or to ##r=0## is a standard technique.

Locking ##k## up between ##nl## and ##(n+1)l## not so much.

1. What is a group of integers?

A group of integers is a set of numbers that includes all positive and negative whole numbers, as well as zero. It is closed under addition and subtraction, meaning that when any two integers are added or subtracted, the result is also an integer.

2. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that itself forms a group. It contains elements from the original group and follows the same operation rules as the original group.

3. How do you prove a relation between a group of integers and a subgroup?

To prove a relation between a group of integers and a subgroup, you must show that the subgroup is a subset of the original group and that it follows the same operation rules. This can be done by demonstrating closure, associativity, identity, and inverse properties.

4. Why is it important to prove the relation between a group of integers and a subgroup?

Proving the relation between a group of integers and a subgroup allows us to better understand the structure and properties of both the group and the subgroup. It also helps us identify patterns and connections between different mathematical concepts.

5. Can a subgroup of a group of integers be infinite?

Yes, a subgroup of a group of integers can be infinite. For example, the set of even integers is a subgroup of the group of integers, and it is infinite. This is because it follows the same operation rules as the group of integers and is closed under addition and subtraction.