Show that union of ascending chain of subgroups is subgroup

In summary, the given conversation discusses the proof that the union of an ascending chain of subgroups in a group is also a subgroup of that group. The proof involves showing that the union is nonempty and that it satisfies the subgroup criteria.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##H_1 \le H_2 \le \cdots## be an ascending chain of subgroups of ##G##. Prove that ##H = \bigcup\limits_{i=1}^{\infty} H_{i}## is a subgroup of ##G##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Certainly ##H## is nonempty, since each subgroup ##H_i## has at least the identity element. Now, let ##a,b \in H##. Then ##a \in H_i## where ##i## is taken to be minimal. Also ##b \in H_j##, where ##j## is taken to be minimal. WLOG suppose that ##i \le j##. Then ##H_i \subseteq H_j## and so ##a,b \in H_j##. Then since ##H_j## is a subgroup, ##ab^{-1} \in H_j \subseteq H##, and so ##ab^{-1} \in H##.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##H_1 \le H_2 \le \cdots## be an ascending chain of subgroups of ##G##. Prove that ##H = \bigcup\limits_{i=1}^{\infty} H_{i}## is a subgroup of ##G##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Certainly ##H## is nonempty, since each subgroup ##H_i## has at least the identity element. Now, let ##a,b \in H##. Then ##a \in H_i## where ##i## is taken to be minimal. Also ##b \in H_j##, where ##j## is taken to be minimal. WLOG suppose that ##i \le j##. Then ##H_i \subseteq H_j## and so ##a,b \in H_j##. Then since ##H_j## is a subgroup, ##ab^{-1} \in H_j \subseteq H##, and so ##ab^{-1} \in H##.
Correct.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is the definition of a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that satisfies all the properties of a group, including closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element.

2. What is an ascending chain of subgroups?

An ascending chain of subgroups is a sequence of subgroups where each subgroup in the sequence is a subset of the next subgroup in the sequence.

3. Why is the union of an ascending chain of subgroups important?

The union of an ascending chain of subgroups is important because it allows us to construct a larger subgroup that contains all of the subgroups in the chain.

4. How do you show that the union of an ascending chain of subgroups is a subgroup?

To show that the union of an ascending chain of subgroups is a subgroup, we must show that it satisfies all the properties of a subgroup, including closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element.

5. Can you provide an example of a subgroup and its ascending chain of subgroups?

Yes, consider the group of integers under addition. The subgroup {0} is a subset of the subgroup {0, 1} which is a subset of the subgroup {0, 1, 2}, and so on. Thus, the ascending chain of subgroups is {0} ⊂ {0, 1} ⊂ {0, 1, 2} ⊂ ...