Prove that ## aa_{1}, aa_{2}, ...., aa_{n} ## is also a complete set?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if a set of residues modulo n is complete and a number a is relatively prime to n, then the set of residues formed by multiplying each element by a is also complete. The proof involves using Euclid's lemma and the concept of multiplicative inverses in the ring of residues modulo n. Additional exercises are given to further explore the topic.
Math100
Homework Statement
If ## a_{1}, a_{2}, ..., a_{n} ## is a complete set of residues modulo ## n ## and ## gcd(a, n)=1 ##, prove that ## aa_{1}, aa_{2}, ..., aa_{n} ## is also a complete set of residues modulo ## n ##.
[Hint: It suffices to show that the numbers in question are incongruent modulo ## n ##.]
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Suppose for the sake of contradiction that ## aa_{i}\equiv aa_{j}\pmod {n} ## for some ## i,j\in\mathbb{Z} ## such that ## 1\leq i<j\leq n ##.
Then ## aa_{i}\equiv aa_{j}\pmod {n}\implies n\mid (aa_{i}-aa_{j})\implies n\mid [a(a_{i}-a_{j})] ##.
Note that ## n\mid b ## if ## n\mid (ab) ## and ## gcd(n, a)=1 ## by Euclid's lemma.
Since ## gcd(a, n)=1 ##, it follows that ## n\mid (a_{i}-a_{j})\implies a_{i}\equiv a_{j}\pmod {n} ##.
This is a contradiction because ## a_{i}\not\equiv a_{j}\pmod {n} ##, given that ## a_{1}, a_{2}, ..., a_{n} ## is a complete set of residues modulo ## n ## and ## gcd(a, n)=1 ##.
Therefore, if ## a_{1}, a_{2}, ..., a_{n} ## is a complete set of residues modulo ## n ## and ## gcd(a, n)=1 ##, then ## aa_{1}, aa_{2}, ..., aa_{n} ## is also a complete set of residues modulo ## n ##.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: If ## a_{1}, a_{2}, ..., a_{n} ## is a complete set of residues modulo ## n ## and ## gcd(a, n)=1 ##, prove that ## aa_{1}, aa_{2}, ..., aa_{n} ## is also a complete set of residues modulo ## n ##.
[Hint: It suffices to show that the numbers in question are incongruent modulo ## n ##.]
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:

Suppose for the sake of contradiction that ## aa_{i}\equiv aa_{j}\pmod {n} ## for some ## i,j\in\mathbb{Z} ## such that ## 1\leq i<j\leq n ##.
Then ## aa_{i}\equiv aa_{j}\pmod {n}\implies n\mid (aa_{i}-aa_{j})\implies n\mid [a(a_{i}-a_{j})] ##.
Note that ## n\mid b ## if ## n\mid (ab) ## and ## gcd(n, a)=1 ## by Euclid's lemma.
Since ## gcd(a, n)=1 ##, it follows that ## n\mid (a_{i}-a_{j})\implies a_{i}\equiv a_{j}\pmod {n} ##.
This is a contradiction because ## a_{i}\not\equiv a_{j}\pmod {n} ##, given that ## a_{1}, a_{2}, ..., a_{n} ## is a complete set of residues modulo ## n ## and ## gcd(a, n)=1 ##.
Therefore, if ## a_{1}, a_{2}, ..., a_{n} ## is a complete set of residues modulo ## n ## and ## gcd(a, n)=1 ##, then ## aa_{1}, aa_{2}, ..., aa_{n} ## is also a complete set of residues modulo ## n ##.
This is correct. Since all ##aa_i## are pairwise distinct, there have to be ##n## many of them (by the pigeonhole principle).

The mathematical background is the following:
The set of remainders modulo ##n## form a ring structure, i.e. you can add and multiply them, and the distributive law holds: ##a_i\cdot (a_j+a_k) \equiv a_i\cdot a_j +a_i \cdot a_k##. The ring is written ##\mathbb{Z}_n.## While addition forms a group, i.e. we have an additive inverse: ##a_i - a_i \equiv a_i + (-a_i) \equiv a_i +(n-a_i)\equiv 0,## multiplication has no inverse, e.g. ##3\cdot 4 \equiv 0 \pmod {6}## and there is no solution to ##x\cdot 4 \equiv 1 \pmod 6.##

However, if ##\operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=d## then we have an equation ##d= \alpha \cdot a +\nu \cdot n## by Bézout's identity. In case ##d=1## as here in the exercise, we get ##1\equiv \alpha \cdot a +\nu \cdot n \equiv \alpha \cdot a \pmod n## and so ##a^{-1}:\equiv \alpha \pmod n.## This means ##\alpha ## is the multiplicative inverse to ##a## modulo ##n.## The multiplicative inverse elements all together, i.e. all elements ##a## to which ##\alpha \cdot a \equiv 1\pmod n## has a solution ##\alpha ,## form a group structure. It is called the group of unities in our ring ##\mathbb{Z}_n.##

Additional exercises:

a.) We have seen that all ##a## with ##\operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=1## are unities in ##\mathbb{Z}_n##. Does the opposite direction also hold? Are all unities ##a## coprime to ##n##?

b) Which kind of integers ##n## have the property, that all ##a\not\equiv 0\pmod n## have multiplicative inverses?

• Informative
Likes Math100 and Delta2
fresh_42 said:
This is correct. Since all ##aa_i## are pairwise distinct, there have to be ##n## many of them (by the pigeonhole principle).

The mathematical background is the following:
The set of remainders modulo ##n## form a ring structure, i.e. you can add and multiply them, and the distributive law holds: ##a_i\cdot (a_j+a_k) \equiv a_i\cdot a_j +a_i \cdot a_k##. The ring is written ##\mathbb{Z}_n.## While addition forms a group, i.e. we have an additive inverse: ##a_i - a_i \equiv a_i + (-a_i) \equiv a_i +(n-a_i)\equiv 0,## multiplication has no inverse, e.g. ##3\cdot 4 \equiv 0 \pmod {6}## and there is no solution to ##x\cdot 4 \equiv 1 \pmod 6.##

However, if ##\operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=d## then we have an equation ##d= \alpha \cdot a +\nu \cdot n## by Bézout's identity. In case ##d=1## as here in the exercise, we get ##1\equiv \alpha \cdot a +\nu \cdot n \equiv \alpha \cdot a \pmod n## and so ##a^{-1}:\equiv \alpha \pmod n.## This means ##\alpha ## is the multiplicative inverse to ##a## modulo ##n.## The multiplicative inverse elements all together, i.e. all elements ##a## to which ##\alpha \cdot a \equiv 1\pmod n## has a solution ##\alpha ,## form a group structure. It is called the group of unities in our ring ##\mathbb{Z}_n.##

Additional exercises:

a.) We have seen that all ##a## with ##\operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=1## are unities in ##\mathbb{Z}_n##. Does the opposite direction also hold? Are all unities ##a## coprime to ##n##?

b) Which kind of integers ##n## have the property, that all ##a\not\equiv 0\pmod n## have multiplicative inverses?
The opposite direction will also hold. And all unities ## a ## are coprime to ## n ##.

Math100 said:
The opposite direction will also hold. And all unities ## a ## are coprime to ## n ##.
a) We have
$$
\operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=1 \stackrel{Bézout}{\Longrightarrow } 1=\alpha \cdot a + \nu \cdot n \Longrightarrow 1\equiv \alpha \cdot a \pmod n \Longrightarrow a^{-1}\equiv\alpha\pmod n
$$

How do we see that ##\alpha \cdot a \equiv 1 \pmod n \stackrel{?}{\Longrightarrow } \operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=1##?

b) If for all ##a\not\equiv 0\pmod n## exists an ##\alpha ## such that ##\alpha \cdot a\equiv 1 \mod n## is true, what can we say about ##n##?

Likes Delta2
a) ## \alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}\not\!\!\!\implies gcd(a, n)=1 ##
b) What kind of integers does ## n ## belong to?

Math100 said:
Not sure but I think a) holds. Do you have a counterexample?
b) n is the kind of integer that we quite often deal with in number theory. To make it more clear to you, if for all ##a##, ##a=1,2,...,n-1## it holds that ##gcd (a,n)=1## then ##n## must be ...

For general n ( meaning not necessarily prime), you can't say that $$ n|a(a_n-a_j)$$ implies$$ n|a $$or$$ n|(a_n -a_j) $$. But by assumption,$$ gcd(a,n)=1$$. So it must be that $$n|(a_n-a_j)$$. But the latter can only happen if $$a_n ==a_j mod n$$, which is not possible(why?)

Math100 said:
Turn ## \alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}## into an equation, assume ##\operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=d##, and turn it into equations, too.
Math100 said:
All ##a\not\equiv 0\pmod n## are ##a\in \{1,2,\ldots,n-1\}##. We assume that every one of them has a solution to ##x\cdot a\equiv =1\pmod n.## If this is the case, and say ##d\,|\,n## and ##d\,|\,a## what can we say about ##d##? And if all ##a\in \{1,2,\ldots,n-1\}## are coprime to ##n##, and say ##e\,|\,n##, what do we know about ##e##?

• Love
Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
Not sure but I think a) holds. Do you have a counterexample?
b) n is the kind of integer that we quite often deal with in number theory. To make it more clear to you, if for all ##a##, ##a=1,2,...,n-1## it holds that ##gcd (a,n)=1## then ##n## must be ...
I thought I had a counterexample but I don't think so. Now I think that ## \alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}\implies gcd(a, n)=1 ##, because ## a ## and ## n ## are pairs of two consecutive numbers, meaning they are coprime numbers. As for part b), if for all ## a ##, ## a=1, 2, ..., n-1 ##, it holds that ## gcd(a, n)=1 ##, then ## n ## must be prime.

Likes Delta2
Math100 said:
I thought I had a counterexample but I don't think so. Now I think that ## \alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}\implies gcd(a, n)=1 ##, because ## a ## and ## n ## are pairs of two consecutive numbers, meaning they are coprime numbers. As for part b), if for all ## a ##, ## a=1, 2, ..., n-1 ##, it holds that ## gcd(a, n)=1 ##, then ## n ## must be prime.
The second part is correct. But ##a## and ##n## are not a pair of consecutive numbers.

If ##\alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}## then ##\alpha \cdot a -1 = n\cdot k## for some integer ##k##. This means ##1=\alpha \cdot a - n\cdot k.## Now imagine a number ##d## that divides ##a## and divides ##n##.

fresh_42 said:
The second part is correct. But ##a## and ##n## are not a pair of consecutive numbers.

If ##\alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}## then ##\alpha \cdot a -1 = n\cdot k## for some integer ##k##. This means ##1=\alpha \cdot a - n\cdot k.## Now imagine a number ##d## that divides ##a## and divides ##n##.
Suppose ## \alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n} ##.
Then ## \alpha\cdot a-1=n\cdot k ## for some ## k\in\mathbb{Z} ##.
This means ## 1=\alpha\cdot a-n\cdot k ##.
Note that ## gcd(a, n)=1\implies\alpha\cdot a+n\cdot k=1 ##.
Thus ## \alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}\nRightarrow gcd(a, n)=1 ##.
Therefore, the opposite direction does not hold.

Math100 said:
Suppose ## \alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n} ##.
Then ## \alpha\cdot a-1=n\cdot k ## for some ## k\in\mathbb{Z} ##.
This means ## 1=\alpha\cdot a-n\cdot k ##.
If ##\operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=d ## then ##d\,|\,a## and ##d\,|\,n##. Thus ##d\,|\,(\alpha a-nk)=1## so ##d=\pm 1.## With the convention that ##\operatorname{gdc}(\ldots)>0## we get ##d=1.##

Hence ##\alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}\Longrightarrow \operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=1.##

The other direction was in post #3, so
$$
\exists \alpha \, : \,\alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}\Leftrightarrow \operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=1
$$

Math100 said:
Note that ## gcd(a, n)=1\implies\alpha\cdot a+n\cdot k=1 ##.
Thus ## \alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}\nRightarrow gcd(a, n)=1 ##.
Therefore, the opposite direction does not hold.

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
If ##\operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=d ## then ##d\,|\,a## and ##d\,|\,n##. Thus ##d\,|\,(\alpha a-nk)=1## so ##d=\pm 1.## With the convention that ##\operatorname{gdc}(\ldots)>0## we get ##d=1.##

Hence ##\alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}\Longrightarrow \operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=1.##

The other direction was in post #3, so
$$
\exists \alpha \, : \,\alpha\cdot a\equiv 1\pmod {n}\Leftrightarrow \operatorname{gcd}(a,n)=1
$$
I didn't know that ## d=\pm 1 ##.

Math100 said:
I didn't know that ## d=\pm 1 ##.
These are the only divisors of ##1.## And since ##d\,|\,a## and ##d\,|\,n## it automatically divides ##\alpha a-nk## which equals ##1##.

Likes Math100

1. What does it mean for a set to be complete?

A set is considered complete if it contains all possible elements or values that are relevant to a specific problem or situation. In other words, there are no missing elements that are necessary for the set to be considered complete.

2. How can you prove that a set is complete?

In order to prove that a set is complete, one must show that it contains all necessary elements and that no other elements are needed to solve the problem at hand. This can be done through logical reasoning, mathematical calculations, or experimentation.

3. What is the significance of proving that a set is complete?

Proving that a set is complete is important because it ensures that all necessary elements are accounted for and considered in a problem or situation. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the problem and can lead to more effective solutions.

4. Can a set be both complete and incomplete?

No, a set cannot be both complete and incomplete. A set is either complete, meaning it contains all necessary elements, or it is incomplete, meaning it is missing some necessary elements.

5. Can a set be complete even if it contains duplicate elements?

Yes, a set can still be considered complete even if it contains duplicate elements. As long as all necessary elements are present, the set can be considered complete regardless of any duplicates.