Prove that f(x)=cos(narccos(x)) is polynomial

• MHB
  • Thread starter karseme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary: So, in summary, we can prove that $f(x)=\cos(n\arccos(x))$ is a polynomial for all $n\in\mathbb{N}$ by using mathematical induction and assuming that both $f_n(x)$ and $g_n(x)$ are polynomials in the induction hypothesis. This can be shown through the base case and induction step, where we can rewrite $\cos[(n+1)\arccos(x)]$ as a linear combination of $\cos(n\arccos(x))$ and $\cos[(n-1)\arccos(x)]$, which are both polynomials.
karseme
So, I've got an assignment to prove that [tex] f(x)=\cos{(n \cdot \arccos{x})} [/tex] is a polynomial for [tex] \forall n \in \mathbb{N} [/tex]. Also, we were suggested to use mathematical induction. So, I've tried:

Base step: [tex] n=1 \implies f(x)=\cos{(\arccos{x})}=x[/tex]
Assumption step: [tex] f(x)=\cos{(n \cdot \arccos{x})}, \forall n \in \mathbb{N} [/tex]
Induction step: [tex] f(x)=\cos{((n+1) \cdot \arccos{x})}=\cos{(n \arccos{x}+\arccos{x})}=\cos{(n \arccos{x})}\cos{( \arccos{x})}-\sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})}=f(x) \cdot x -\sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})}[/tex]

And I don't know what to do with sine.

Physics news on Phys.org
karseme said:
So, I've got an assignment to prove that [tex] f(x)=\cos{(n \cdot \arccos{x})} [/tex] is a polynomial for [tex] \forall n \in \mathbb{N} [/tex]. Also, we were suggested to use mathematical induction. So, I've tried:

Base step: [tex] n=1 \implies f(x)=\cos{(\arccos{x})}=x[/tex]
Assumption step: [tex] f(x)=\cos{(n \cdot \arccos{x})}, \forall n \in \mathbb{N} [/tex]
Induction step: [tex] f(x)=\cos{((n+1) \cdot \arccos{x})}=\cos{(n \arccos{x}+\arccos{x})}=\cos{(n \arccos{x})}\cos{( \arccos{x})}-\sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})}=f(x) \cdot x -\sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})}[/tex]

And I don't know what to do with sine.

Hi karseme! ;)

How about assuming that $\sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})}$ is a polynomial in $x$? (Wondering)

\begin{aligned}\sin{((n+1) \arccos{x})}\sin{(\arccos{x})}
&= \big(\sin{(n \arccos{x})}\cos{(\arccos{x})} + \cos{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{(\arccos{x})} \big)\sin{( \arccos{x})} \\
&= x \sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})} + \cos{(n \arccos{x})}\sin^2{(\arccos{x})} \\
&= x \sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})} + \cos{(n \arccos{x})}(1 - \cos^2{(\arccos{x})})
\end{aligned}

I like Serena said:
Hi karseme! ;)

How about assuming that $\sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})}$ is a polynomial in $x$? (Wondering)

\begin{aligned}\sin{((n+1) \arccos{x})}\sin{(\arccos{x})}
&= \big(\sin{(n \arccos{x})}\cos{(\arccos{x})} + \cos{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{(\arccos{x})} \big)\sin{( \arccos{x})} \\
&= x \sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})} + \cos{(n \arccos{x})}\sin^2{(\arccos{x})} \\
&= x \sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})} + \cos{(n \arccos{x})}(1 - \cos^2{(\arccos{x})})
\end{aligned}

But, how can we assume that? It's like let's assume that every number is divisible by 3 for the sake of the convenicence. I don't see how can we assume that here. Maybe it is polynomial, I don't know. Anyway what can we achieve by assuming that, you're still left with $ x \sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})}$. And who says that $\sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})}$ is a polynomial. How to prove that.

karseme said:
But, how can we assume that? It's like let's assume that every number is divisible by 3 for the sake of the convenicence. I don't see how can we assume that here. Maybe it is polynomial, I don't know. Anyway what can we achieve by assuming that, you're still left with $ x \sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \arccos{x})}$. And who says that $\sin{(n \arccos{x})}\sin{( \ar
ccos{x})}$ is a polynomial. How to prove that.

Let's revise the induction hypothesis.
Let's make it: $f_n(x)=\cos(n \arccos x)$ is polynomial AND $g_n(x)=\sin(n \arccos x)\sin(\arccos x)$ is polynomial.
Is it true for a base case?
What will the induction step be?

$$\cos[(n+1)\arccos(x)]=\cos(n\arccos(x))\cos(\arccos(x))-\sin(n\arccos(x))\sin(\arccos(x))$$

$$=x\cos(n\arccos(x))+\frac{\cos[(n+1)\arccos(x)]-\cos[(n-1)\arccos(x)]}{2}$$

$$\cos[(n+1)\arccos(x)]=2x\cos(n\arccos(x))-\cos[(n-1)\arccos(x)]$$

I believe that's sufficient.

Related to Prove that f(x)=cos(narccos(x)) is polynomial

What is the function f(x)=cos(narccos(x))?

The function f(x)=cos(narccos(x)) is a composition of the cosine function and the inverse cosine function. This means that the input of the inverse cosine function must be a value between -1 and 1, and the output of this function is then used as the input for the cosine function.

Why is it important to prove that f(x)=cos(narccos(x)) is a polynomial?

Proving that f(x)=cos(narccos(x)) is a polynomial is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of this function and make predictions about its values at different points. It also helps us to analyze the function and use it in various mathematical applications.

What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a function that can be written as a sum of terms, where each term consists of a constant coefficient multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. For example, f(x)=3x^2+5x+2 is a polynomial function.

How can we prove that f(x)=cos(narccos(x)) is a polynomial?

To prove that f(x)=cos(narccos(x)) is a polynomial, we can use the properties of compositions of functions and the power series expansion of the cosine function. By substituting the inverse cosine function into the power series of the cosine function, we can show that f(x) is a polynomial function.

What is the degree of f(x)=cos(narccos(x))?

The degree of f(x)=cos(narccos(x)) is equal to the degree of the cosine function, which is infinity. This means that the function does not have a finite degree and cannot be expressed as a polynomial with a finite number of terms.