Prove that the period of a SHM is 2pi*sqrt(m/k)

• Thread starter ItsTheSebbe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period Shm
In summary: From the first equation A=C3/cos(Φ) and substituting this in the second equation you will get tan(Φ)=-C4/C3.In summary, the period of a simple harmonic oscillation is equal to ##T=2\pi \sqrt \frac m k## and the equation of motion for a mass on a spring can be derived using the equations ##F_{spring}=-kx## and ##F_{net}=ma##. Using Euler's formula, the expression for the position of the mass can be simplified to ##x(t) = A \cos(\omega t + \phi)##, where ##\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}##, ##A = C
ItsTheSebbe

Homework Statement

When I was in high school I was thaught that the period of a simple harmonic oscillation (mass on spring, ball on pendulum, etc) was equal to ##T=2\pi \sqrt \frac m k## though they have never explained to me why. That's what I wanted to find out.

So for example, let's take a mass ##m## on a spring with spring constant ##k##, give it a little nudge and it will start oscillating in a wave-like manner (let's assume no energy is lost due to friction).

PS: This is the first time I'm trying to use LaTeX (first post in general), so if there's anything wrong with the formatting, please let me know :)!

Homework Equations

##T=\frac {2\pi} {\omega}##
##F_{spring}=-kx##
##F_{net}=ma##

The Attempt at a Solution

##F_{net}=F_{spring}##
##ma=-kx##
##m \frac {d^2x} {dt^2} +kx=0##
##\frac {d^2x} {dt^2} +\frac k m x=0##
##\ddot x(t) + \frac k m x(t)=0##

##\text{take} \ \ x=e^{Rt}##

##R^2e^{Rt} +\frac k m e^{Rt}=0##
##R^2+\frac k m =0##
##R^2=-\frac k m##
##R=\pm i\sqrt \frac k m ##

##\text{hence, } x(t)=C_1e^{i\sqrt \frac k m t}+C_2e^{-i\sqrt \frac k m t}##

Now, here I get stuck. I know I need to eventually get ##x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi)##
I don't really understand how to get there; probably by using Euler's formula.
From here on out I can proof the equation, namely:

##\ddot x=-A\omega^2\cos(\omega t+\phi)=-x\omega^2##
##\text{plugging into EoM gives:}##
##-x\omega^2+\frac k m x=0##
##\omega^2=\frac k m##
##\omega=\sqrt \frac k m##
##T=\frac {2\pi} {\omega}=2\pi \sqrt \frac m k##

Physics news on Phys.org
ItsTheSebbe said:
##\text{hence, } x(t)=C_1e^{i\sqrt \frac k m t}+C_2e^{-i\sqrt \frac k m t}##

Now, here I get stuck. I know I need to eventually get ##x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi)##
I don't really understand how to get there; probably by using Euler's formula.
Your expression here can be re-written as:
$$x(t) = C_3 \cos(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t) + C_4 \sin(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t)$$
by suitably defining ##C_3## and ##C_4## in terms of ##C_1## and ##C_2## using Euler's formula, as you say.

Now how can I get from ##x(t) = C_3 \cos(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t) + C_4 \sin(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t)## to a form of ##x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi)##?

ItsTheSebbe said:
Now how can I get from ##x(t) = C_3 \cos(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t) + C_4 \sin(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} t)## to a form of ##x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi)##?
You derived that ω = √(k/m). So you have to prove that C3cos(ωt)+C4sin(ωt)=Acos(ωt+Φ).

Expand the right side, using the addition formula for cosine. cos(α+β)=cos(α)cos(β)-sin(α)sin(β).
α=ωt and β=Φ.
So C3cos(ωt)+C4sin(ωt)=Acos(ωt)cos(Φ)-Asin(ωt)sin(Φ). The equality must hold for all values of ωt which means that the coefficient of both the cosine terms and the sine terms must be equal on both sides.
Or you can think that it must be true ωt=0 and also for ωt=pi/2:
For ωt=0, C3=Acos(Φ).
for ωt=pi/2, C4=-Asin(Φ).

You can find both A and Φ from these equations.

Related to Prove that the period of a SHM is 2pi*sqrt(m/k)

1. What is SHM and how does it relate to the period of motion?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is the type of motion exhibited by objects that oscillate back and forth around a fixed point. The period of motion is the time it takes for one complete oscillation or cycle of the motion. In SHM, the period is directly related to the mass and the spring constant of the object, as described by the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

2. How do we know that the period of SHM is given by the equation T = 2pi*sqrt(m/k)?

This equation is derived from the fundamental principles of SHM, specifically the restoring force and Hooke's Law. The restoring force is the force that tries to bring the object back to its equilibrium position, and in SHM, this force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. Hooke's Law states that this force is also directly proportional to the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. By combining these principles, we can derive the equation for the period of SHM.

3. What is the significance of the period of SHM?

The period of SHM is an important characteristic of any oscillating system. It represents the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle of its motion, and it is independent of the amplitude of the motion. This means that for a given mass and spring constant, the period will remain constant regardless of how far the object is displaced from its equilibrium position. The period also determines the frequency of the oscillation, which is the number of cycles per unit time.

4. How does changing the mass and spring constant affect the period of SHM?

According to the equation T = 2π√(m/k), the period of SHM is directly proportional to the square root of the mass and inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that increasing the mass will increase the period, while increasing the spring constant will decrease the period. In other words, a heavier object will take longer to complete one cycle of its motion, and a stiffer spring will cause the object to oscillate faster.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the period of SHM?

In most cases, the period of SHM is only affected by the mass and spring constant. However, in more complex systems, other factors such as friction, air resistance, and external forces can also play a role in determining the period. These factors may cause the period to deviate from the expected value calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), and may require more advanced mathematical models to accurately predict the period of the motion.