Prove Trigonometric Identities

In summary, the person is trying to prove that the right side is equal to the left and ran into a problem where the identity did not work. They used a calculator and found that the two sides were not equal.
mitaka90
I got this problem on my term test and it's the first problem I couldn't solve on a test ever since I'm in High School. I've tried to solve it at home even, but I still couldn't manage. The thing is that it doesn't even look difficult, maybe there's something I'm not seeing, so I hope someone can help me. I apologize that I don't know how to use this Latex thing to write the problem, so I'll just post a link where you could see the identity from an online calc I used only to display it.

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/logarithmic-equation-calculator/8sin^{4}α=cos4α + 4cos2α +3

I'm trying to prove that the right side is equal to the left and I manage to come to a point where the identity looks like this:

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/log...culator/sin^{4}α=1-sin^{2}α.cos^{2}α-sin^{2}α (I got rid of the 8)

The problem requires Double-Angle and Half-Angle Formulas.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the intended problem is

$$8\sin^4(a)=\cos4a+4\cos2a+3$$

then there is a mistake somewhere. The above is not an identity.

greg1313 said:
If the intended problem is

$$8\sin^4(a)=\cos4a+4\cos2a+3$$

then there is a mistake somewhere. The above is not an identity.
What? Really? I'm pretty sure that it was like this. I guess I'm going to have to wait until my math teacher gives the term test back and see what she has to say. Or I might have remembered the identity incorrectly. I'll update this thread on Monday hopefully if she returns the term test. Thanks, though!

P.S. How are you sure it's not an identity?

I ran it through a calculator and the two sides were not equal. You're off by a sign:

$$8\sin^4a=\cos4a-4\cos2a+3$$

mitaka90 said:
What? Really? I'm pretty sure that it was like this. I guess I'm going to have to wait until my math teacher gives the term test back and see what she has to say. Or I might have remembered the identity incorrectly. I'll update this thread on Monday hopefully if she returns the term test. Thanks, though!

P.S. How are you sure it's not an identity?

if you put $\alpha = 0$ LHS =0 and RHS=8 so they are not same.

I am sorry did not see that greg has replied.

Last edited:
It should be

$$8\sin^4(a)=\cos(4a) - 4\cos(2a) + 3.$$

You can prove that using the identities $\cos(2a) = 2\cos^2a - 1 = 1 - 2\sin^2a$. Then $$\cos(4a) = 2\cos^2(2a) - 1 = 2(1 - 2\sin^2a)^2 - 1 = 8\sin^4a - 8\sin^2a + 1,$$ and it follows that $$\cos(4a) - 4\cos(2a) = 8\sin^4a - 8\sin^2a + 1 - 4(1 - 2\sin^2a) = 8\sin^4a - 3.$$

Edit. Didn't see Greg's post at #4!

Essentially the same, but going in the other direction:

Consider:

\(\displaystyle \sin^2(x)=\frac{1-\cos(2x)}{2}\)

Then:

\(\displaystyle 8\sin^4(a)=8\left(\frac{1-\cos(2a)}{2}\right)^2=2-4\cos(2a)+2\cos^2(2a)\)

Consider next:

\(\displaystyle \cos^2(x)=\frac{1+\cos(2x)}{2}\)

Then:

\(\displaystyle 8\sin^4(a)=2-4\cos(2a)+1+\cos(4a)=\cos(4a)-4\cos(2a)+3\)

I see, I might've forgotten that there was a minus sign. Then everything comes as clear as a day. Whew. Ty all!

btw, What kind of calculator did you use greg?

It's called PARI/gp. It's a free CAS with a number theory focus. Here's a link to the home page.

greg1313 said:
It's called PARI/gp. It's a free CAS with a number theory focus. Here's a link to the home page.
I'll check it out.

It turned out that it was indeed a minus sign. I got some points from the beginning of the problem and I managed to get the A or Excellent mark. I don't really know why I messed it up, but whatevs. Job's done!

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions like sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to express a relationship between different trigonometric functions and simplify complex expressions.

2. Why is it important to prove trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities is important because it helps to strengthen our understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties. It also allows us to manipulate and simplify complex expressions, making them easier to work with in mathematical calculations and problem-solving.

3. What is the process for proving trigonometric identities?

The process for proving trigonometric identities involves using algebraic manipulations and properties of trigonometric functions to transform one side of the identity into the other. This often involves using basic trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity, as well as factoring and simplifying expressions.

4. How do I know if I have proven a trigonometric identity correctly?

A trigonometric identity is considered proven if both sides of the equation are shown to be equivalent using valid mathematical operations. This means that the expressions should be equal for all values of the trigonometric variables involved.

5. What are some tips for proving trigonometric identities?

Some tips for proving trigonometric identities include starting with the more complex side of the equation, using basic identities and algebraic manipulations, and working with one side of the equation at a time. It is also important to keep in mind that identities can be proven using different approaches, so don't get discouraged if your method is different from others.