Prove whether Cross-Product is associative

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    associative
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the definition of cross-product to determine whether or not (\bold A\times\bold B)\times\bold C=\bold A\times(\bold B\times\bold C). The participants consider different angles and lengths to prove or disprove the statement, with one suggesting to look for a counterexample. The conversation ends with a possible counterexample being (i+j)xk x k and (i+j) x (k x k).
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Using the definition [itex]\bold{A}\times \bold{B}=AB\sin\theta[/itex] show whether or not [itex](\bold
A\times\bold B)\times\bold C=\bold A\times(\bold B\times\bold C)[/itex]

I know this is probably easy, but I am missing the obvious here. So I started like this:

Assuming [itex]\theta[/itex] lies between A and B and [itex]\phi[/itex] lies between [itex]\bold{A}\times \bold{B}[/itex] and C then [itex](\bold
A\times\bold B)\times\bold C=(AB\sin\theta)C\sin\phi[/itex] ... wait is that it?

Since that mess is associative then so is the cross-product?

Granted, I should probably include an angle between B and C to be thorough...

Physics news on Phys.org
yes you should include an angle between B and C, put it as [itex]\alpha[/itex] and the angle between A and (B x C) as [itex]\beta[/itex]. You'd get:

[tex]|\bold A\times(\bold B\times\bold C)|= Asin\beta(BCsin\alpha)[/tex]

Now in only a certain case would this be true,right?

Isn't it just enough to come up with a counterexample to show that it's not true or were you specifically told to use the definition?

rock.freak667 said:
yes you should include an angle between B and C, put it as [itex]\alpha[/itex] and the angle between A and (B x C) as [itex]\beta[/itex]. You'd get:

[tex]|\bold A\times(\bold B\times\bold C)|= Asin\beta(BCsin\alpha)[/tex]

Now in only a certain case would this be true,right?

When alpha=beta ?

Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

Using the definition [itex]\bold{A}\times \bold{B}=AB\sin\theta[/itex] show whether or not [itex](\bold
A\times\bold B)\times\bold C=\bold A\times(\bold B\times\bold C)[/itex]

I know this is probably easy, but I am missing the obvious here. So I started like this:

Assuming [itex]\theta[/itex] lies between A and B and [itex]\phi[/itex] lies between [itex]\bold{A}\times \bold{B}[/itex] and C then [itex](\bold
A\times\bold B)\times\bold C=(AB\sin\theta)C\sin\phi[/itex] ... wait is that it?

Since that mess is associative then so is the cross-product?

Granted, I should probably include an angle between B and C to be thorough...
No, that's not a complete proof. You are correct that the length of (AxB)xC is [itex]|A||B||C| sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between A and B and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between (AxB) and C. But you haven't even looked at Ax(BxC). That would have length [itex]|A||B||C|sin(\alpha)sin(\beta)[/itex] where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the angle between B and C and [itex]\beta[/itex] is the angle between A and BxC. Is see no reason to assume those angles are the same as [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] and no reason to assume those lengths are the same. In fact, even if you could prove those lengths are the same, that would not prove the vectors are the same.

That is so complicated I might tend to assume it is false and look for a counter example, as NoMoreExams said. If fact, it might be something as simple as ((i + j)xk) x k and (i+ j) x (k x k). What are those?

Hmm. Well I think the latter is 0 since k x k=0. I know that that the angle between (i+j) and k is non-zero since the angles between i and k and j and k are non-zero, hence the angle between (i+j) x k and k is non-zero, hence the cross product is non-zero.

Is that what you are thinking Halls?

1. What is the definition of cross-product?

The cross-product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector as output. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is defined as the product of the magnitude of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

2. What does it mean for a mathematical operation to be associative?

A mathematical operation is said to be associative if the grouping of the operands does not affect the result. In other words, when performing an associative operation on three or more operands, the result will be the same regardless of the order in which the operations are performed.

3. How can we prove whether cross-product is associative?

To prove whether cross-product is associative, we must show that for any three vectors A, B, and C, (A x B) x C = A x (B x C). This can be done by using the properties of vectors and the definition of cross-product along with algebraic manipulation and the use of geometry.

4. What are some real-world applications of cross-product?

Cross-product has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and angular momentum in physics. In engineering, it is used to determine the direction of forces and moments on structures. In computer graphics, it is used to calculate the orientation of objects and to create 3D effects.

5. Is cross-product commutative as well as associative?

No, cross-product is not commutative. This means that the order in which the operands are multiplied affects the result. In other words, A x B is not equal to B x A. However, it is associative, meaning that the grouping of the operands does not affect the result.