Prove Z7 is a Ring Under + and x Operations

In summary, the six definitions of a ring were used to prove that Z7 is a ring under the operations of addition and multiplication, denoted as + and *, respectively. The proof for additive associativity showed that [a]7+[b]7+[c]7 = [a]7+([b]7+[c]7) and the commutativity proof showed that [a]7+[b]7 = [b]7+[a]7. The identity element of 0 was shown to exist and be unique, and the existence of an additive inverse was proven by finding a unique element y such that x + y = 0. The associative property of multiplication was shown by [a]7 * ([b
Zoey93
Hey there,

I need some help with this assignment:

Use the definition for a ring to prove that Z7 is a ring under the operations + and x as defined as follows: [a]7+7 = [a+b]7 and [a]7 x 7 = [a x b]7

1. state each step of your proof
2. provide written justification for each step.But First I must use the six definitions of a ring to prove that z7 satisfies them.
A ring is a set R equipped with two binary operations,1 here denoted by + and *, that have the following properties.

1. (a + b) + c = a + (b + c) for all a, b and c in R (addition is associative).
2. a + b = b + a for all a and b in R (addition is commutative).
3. There is an element 0 ∈ R such that 0 + x = x + 0 = x for all x ∈ R.
4. For each element x ∈ R, there is a unique element y ∈ R such that x + y = y + x = 0. (We denote y by −x.)
5. (a * b) * c = a * (b * c) for all a, b, and c in R (multiplication is associative).
6. (The distributive law) a * (b + c) = a * b + a * c and (b + c)* a = b * a + c * a for all a, b, and c in R.

This is what I have so far:

1. Additive Associativity Property
[a+b]7+[c]7=[a]7+[b+c]7
~[a+b]7+[c]7=[a]7+7+[c]7 Given
~[a]7+7+[c]7=[a]7+(7+[c]7) Addition of Integers is Associative
~[a]7+(7+[c]7)=[a]7+[b+c]7 Given

2. Additive Commutativity Property
[a]7+7=7+[a]7
~[a]7+7=[a+b]7 Given
~[a+b]7=[b+a]7 Addition of Integers is Commutative
~[b+a]7=7+[a]7 Given

Physics news on Phys.org
I find your proof of associativity hard to follow. To me, it should run like this:

$[a]_7 + (_7 + [c]_7) = [a]_7 + [b+c]_7$ (by definition of addition in $\Bbb Z_7$)

$= [a + (b + c)]_7$ (by definition of addition in $\Bbb Z_7$, again)

$= [(a+b) + c]_7$ (by the associativity of addition in the integers)

$= [a+b]_7 + [c]_7$ (by definition of addition in $\Bbb Z_7$)

$= ([a]_7 + _7) + [c]_7$ (by definition of addition in $\Bbb Z_7$), QED.

That is, at some point all of $a,b,c$ should be "inside the brackets".

Your proof of commutativity is better, line 3 is the critical step.

Hello Deveno,

Thank you for your help. So I finished the assignment but there are a few things I need to fix. I need help correcting number 4, my professor said that my statement is incorrect. Also, I need help correcting part B the zero divisor, my professor said that it was incorrect. Here is the link to my assignment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9x2mows1fb5l7a7/Task 2 AA zk.docx?dl=0

For number 4, you need to show that for any $[a]_7 \in \Bbb Z_7$, there exists $_7 \in \Bbb Z_7$ such that:

$[a]_7 + _7 = _7 + [a]_7 = [0]_7$, and that such a $_7$ is unique (that is, $b$ is unique up to an integer multiple of $7$).

While not strictly necessary, it is usual to consider only $a \in \{0,1,2,3,4,5,6\}$, since any other integer $a$ is equivalent modulo $7$ to one of these.

So it then falls upon you to find a suitable $b \in \Bbb Z$ that works.

You are correct that $b = -a$ would work, but the usual choice is $b = 7-a$ which guarantees that $b \in \{1,2,3,4,5,6,7\}$.

This actually breaks down into "two cases" $a = 0$ (in which case we prefer $[0]_7$ rather than $[7]_7$, although these are equal since:

$7 - 0 = 7 = 1\cdot 7 \in 7\Bbb Z$), and $a \neq 0$, in which case $b \in \{1,2,3,4,5,6\}$).

It follows from the identity property of $[0]_7$ that $[0]_7 + [0]_7 = [0+0]_7 = [0]_7$, and that $[0]_7$ is the unique congruence class that has this property for $[0]_7$, that is:

$-[0]_7 = [0]_7$.

If $a \neq 0$, it follows that $[a]_7 + [7-a]_7 = [a+(7-a)]_7 = [a+(-a+7)]_7 = [(a+-a)+7]_7 = [0+7]_7 = [7]_7 = [0]_7$.

Thus for any $a \in \{0,1,2,3,4,5,6\}$, there is at least one $b \in \{0,1,2,3,4,5,6\}$, such that $[a]_7 + _7 = [0]_7$.

The equation $_7 + [a]_7 = [0]_7$ is a direct result of $+$ being commutative in $\Bbb Z_7$. However, we're not quite done yet. We still have to show that if $b \in \{0,1,2,3,4,5,6\}$ is such that $[a]_7 + _7 = [0]_7$, that no other $c \neq b \in \{0,1,2,3,4,5,6\}$ has this property.

Assume, for the sake of showing a contradiction, that such a $c \neq b$ exists.

We have $[a+b]_7 = [a]_7 + _7 = [a]_7 + [c]_7 = [a+c]_7$, that is:

$a+b - (a+c) = 7k$, for some integer $k$. Thus:

$b - c = 7k$. Since both $b,c \in \{0,1,2,3,4,5,6\}$, we have $|b - c| < 7$. Hence $k = 0$, contradiction.

The set $\{0,1,2,3,4,5,6\}$ is called a set of representatives for $\Bbb Z_7$, and is handy for showing uniqueness as we have done here. That is:

$[a]_7$ does not uniquely determine $a$, but it *does* if we require $a \in \{0,1,2,3,4,5,6\}$.

I'm not sure of your professors' issue for number 4, but I suspect it is that you argued using $[-a]_7$, instead of finding $-([a]_7)$.

With regards to part B, you have made a mistake in arguing:

since $7$ is prime, neither $a$ nor $b$ divide $7$. This is not true, as either $a$ or $b$ might be $1$, which *does* divide $7$.

It is easier to make the reverse argument, that if $[a]_7\cdot_7 = [0]_7$, then either $[a]_7 = [0]_7$ or $_7 =[0]_7$ (or both). To make this argument, assume that $[a]_7 \neq [0]_7$, and show that we *must* have $_7 = [0]_7$.

1. What is a ring in abstract algebra?

A ring is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and two binary operations, usually addition (+) and multiplication (x). The operations must follow certain properties, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity, to be considered a ring.

2. How do you prove that Z7 is a ring under + and x operations?

To prove that Z7 (the set of integers modulo 7) is a ring, we need to show that it satisfies all the required properties. For addition, we need to show that it is closed, associative, has an identity element (0), and every element has an inverse. For multiplication, we need to show that it is closed, associative, and has an identity element (1).

3. What is the identity element for addition and multiplication in Z7?

The identity element for addition in Z7 is 0, as adding 0 to any element does not change its value. The identity element for multiplication in Z7 is 1, as multiplying any element by 1 does not change its value.

4. What is the inverse of an element in Z7?

The inverse of an element in Z7 is the number that, when added or multiplied by the original element, results in the identity element. For example, the inverse of 3 in Z7 is 4, as 3 + 4 ≡ 7 ≡ 0 (mod 7) and 3 x 4 ≡ 12 ≡ 1 (mod 7).

5. What is the significance of proving that Z7 is a ring under + and x operations?

Proving that Z7 is a ring under + and x operations shows that it has all the necessary properties to be considered a ring, which makes it a useful mathematical structure for solving equations and studying other abstract concepts in algebra. It can also be used as a basis for constructing other mathematical structures, such as fields and groups.