Proving A=B ∪ (A ∩ B) with Distributive Law

• Thread starter senobim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: I've checked solution manual for this part and found this:B ∪( A ∩ B )= (B ∩ A) ∪ (B ∩ B )= (B ∩ A) = AThe only case where this solution could work is when A = B (the only case that I could think of)If B ⊂ A, then it's not true that A = A ∩ B. It is true that B = A ∩ B in this case.
senobim
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

Greetings! I've been working on basic algebra of sets.

Refer to Exercise 2.4. Use the identities A = A ∩ S and S = B ∪ B and a distributive law to prove that If B ⊂ A then A = B ∪ (A ∩ B). Exercise 2.4 asked to draw Venn's diagram of this case. So I did. (posted from solution manual)

I had really hard time to prove that identity so I've checked solution manual for this part and found this:
B ∪( A ∩ B ) = (B ∩ A) ∪ (B ∩ B ) = (B ∩ A) = A

The only case where this solution could work is when A = B (the only case that I could think of) Or am I missing something? Is there any way to prove it without A = B assumption? (I think, I could prove it using associative law, but clearly exercise only permits distributive. I am confused.)
1.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,407
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
senobim said:
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

Greetings! I've been working on basic algebra of sets.

Refer to Exercise 2.4. Use the identities A = A ∩ S and S = B ∪ B
How are these identities? A ∩ S = A only if A ⊂ S. What is S? How is S equal to B ∪ B? And B ∪ B is just B.

senobim said:
and a distributive law to prove that If B ⊂ A then A = B ∪ (A ∩ B).
This doesn't make sense to me. If B ⊂ A, then A ∩ B = B, so B ∪ (A ∩ B) = B ∪ B = B, not A.
senobim said:
Exercise 2.4 asked to draw Venn's diagram of this case. So I did. (posted from solution manual)

I had really hard time to prove that identity so I've checked solution manual for this part and found this:

The only case where this solution could work is when A = B (the only case that I could think of) Or am I missing something? Is there any way to prove it without A = B assumption? (I think, I could prove it using associative law, but clearly exercise only permits distributive. I am confused.)
View attachment 228441
Yes, the problem confuses me as well.
What book is this from? Are you sure you have written the problem exactly as stated in the book?

Last edited:
Ohh, after copying the problem, somehow, I've lost complement sets. Excuse me!

The book is Mathematical statistics with application by D.Wackerly et al.

A = A ∩ S , S = B ∪ B'

If B ⊂ A then A = B ∪ (A ∩ B')

Ok, If A = A ∪ B and A = A ∩ B it's possible to prove that identity, although I am still a little confused how is A = A ∩ B if B ⊂ A

By definition the intersection A ∩ B of two sets A and B is the set that contains all elements of A that also belong to B, so that implies A ∩ B = B if B ⊂ A.

Last edited:
senobim said:
Ohh, after copying the problem, somehow, I've lost complement sets. Excuse me!

The book is Mathematical statistics with application by D.Wackerly et al.

A = A ∩ S , S = B ∪ B'
Is S the universal set? You don't mention this anywhere, and it's not labelled as such in the image you attached. Many textbooks use U for the universal set, at least those written in English.
senobim said:
If B ⊂ A then A = B ∪ (A ∩ B')

Ok, If A = A ∪ B and A = A ∩ B it's possible to prove that identity, although I am still a little confused how is A = A ∩ B if B ⊂ A
If B ⊂ A, then it's not true that A = A ∩ B. It is true that B = A ∩ B in this case.

Edit: I mislabeled the properties I meant, but it's now fixed.
This implication, If B ⊂ A then A = B ∪ (A ∩ B'), is easy to prove using DeMorgan's Laws the Distributive Laws, which is what they have used in the solution you posted (with corrections for complements).

The two forms of this law are:
  • A ∪ (B ∩ C) = (A ∪ B) ∩ (A ∪ C) and
  • A ∩ (B ∪ C) = (A ∩ B) ∪ (A ∩ C)
senobim said:
By definition the intersection A ∩ B of two sets A and B is the set that contains all elements of A that also belong to B, so that implies A ∩ B = B if B ⊂ A.

You wrote this in post #1:
senobim said:
I haven't really looked at this. You said you had omitted the complement marks, so possibly they are missing in this, as well.

Last edited:
S - is a universal set.
Mark44 said:
If B ⊂ A, then it's not true that A = A ∩ B. It is true that B = A ∩ B in this case.

In that case answer posted in a solution manual of this book, doesn't make any sense at all (compliment marks added)

B ∪( A ∩ B' ) = (B ∩ A) ∪ ( B ∩ B' ) = (B ∩ A) = A

Mark44 said:
  • A ∪ (B ∩ C) = (A ∪ B) ∩ (A ∪ C) and
  • A ∩ (B ∪ C) = (A ∩ B) ∪ (A ∩ C)

I fail to see how they are using these law to prove that implication.

My attemp to prove it:

B ∪ (A ∩ B') = [distributive law] = (B ∪ A) ∩ (B ∪ B') = (B' ∩ A) = A

senobim said:
S - is a universal set.

In that case answer posted in a solution manual of this book, doesn't make any sense at all (compliment marks added)

B ∪( A ∩ B' ) = (B ∩ A) ∪ ( B ∩ B' ) = (B ∩ A) = A
You wrote something similar in post #1. The first equality is wrong. Either the work posted in your book (or wherever) has a typo, or you mistyped what was there.

It should be
B ∪ (A ∩ B' ) = (B ∪ A) ∩ ( B ∪ B' )
Earlier I referred to this as one of De Morgan's Laws, which is incorrect. This is one of the distributive laws of set theory.

Continuing from the above, since B ⊂ A, then B ∪ A = A, and B ∪ B' = S.
So B ∪ (A ∩ B' ) = (B ∪ A) ∩ ( B ∪ B' ) = A ∩ S = ?
senobim said:
I fail to see how they are using these law to prove that implication.
The work shown in the solution uses a distributive law of set theory, not De Morgan's Law as I called it.

Mark44 said:
Continuing from the above, since B ⊂ A, then B ∪ A = A, and B ∪ B' = S.
So B ∪ (A ∩ B' ) = (B ∪ A) ∩ ( B ∪ B' ) = A ∩ S = ?

= A

Solution manual is wrong, I posted exactly as it is. Thank you for your time!

Related to Proving A=B ∪ (A ∩ B) with Distributive Law

1. What is the Distributive Law?

The Distributive Law is a mathematical principle that states that for any sets A, B, and C, the equation A ∪ (B ∩ C) = (A ∪ B) ∩ (A ∪ C) is always true. This law allows us to manipulate and simplify expressions involving sets.

2. How is the Distributive Law used to prove A=B ∪ (A ∩ B)?

To prove A=B ∪ (A ∩ B) using the Distributive Law, we can rewrite the expression as A ∪ (B ∩ A) and then apply the Distributive Law to get (A ∪ B) ∩ (A ∪ A). Since A ∪ A is equal to just A, this simplifies to (A ∪ B) ∩ A, which is equivalent to A.

3. Why is it important to prove A=B ∪ (A ∩ B) with the Distributive Law?

Proving A=B ∪ (A ∩ B) with the Distributive Law is important because it allows us to demonstrate the validity of this equation, which is a fundamental concept in set theory. It also helps us understand and apply the Distributive Law in other mathematical contexts.

4. Can the Distributive Law be used with other operations besides union and intersection?

Yes, the Distributive Law can be used with other operations, such as set difference and symmetric difference. For example, the equation A ∩ (B ∆ C) = (A ∩ B) ∆ (A ∩ C) is a variation of the Distributive Law for the symmetric difference operation.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Distributive Law?

No, the Distributive Law is a proven mathematical principle that holds true for all sets A, B, and C. However, it is important to note that this law only applies to binary operations, meaning it cannot be used for sets with more than two elements.