Proving a function is injective

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the injectivity of a function f: ]1, +inf[ → ]0, +inf[ defined by f(x)=x^2 +2x +1. The method used involves setting two inputs a and b in the domain equal to each other and solving for a=b. The quadratic equation (a+1)^2 = (b+1)^2 is derived and it is noted that a and b are strictly greater than 1, making it impossible for the equation to have more than one solution. It is also mentioned that calculus techniques can be used to prove the injectivity of the function, but it is not necessary for this particular problem.
Cha0t1c
Homework Statement
Let f: ]1, +inf[ → ]0, +inf[ be defined by f(x)=x^2 +2x +1. Prove f is injective.
Relevant Equations
f(a) = f(b) ==> a=b
Hello,
Let f: ]1, +inf[ → ]0, +inf[ be defined by f(x)=x^2 +2x +1.

I am trying to prove f is injective.

Let a,b be in ]1, +inf[ and suppose f(a) = f(b).

Then, a^2 + 2a + 1 = b^2 + 2b + 1.

How do I solve this equation such that I end up with a = b?

Solution:

(a + 1) ^2 = (b + 1)^2

sqrt[(a+1)^2] = sqrt[(b+1)^2]

abs(a + 1) = abs(b + 1)

since a>1 and b>1

a + 1 = b +1
thus a = b

hence f is injective.

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cha0t1c said:
Hello,
Let f: ]1, +inf[ → ]0, +inf[ be defined by f(x)=x^2 +2x +1.

I am trying to prove f is injective.

Let a,b be in ]1, +inf[ and suppose f(a) = f(b).

Then, a^2 + 2a + 1 = b^2 + 2b + 1.

How do I solve this equation such that I end up with a = b?
It's a quadratic equation.

Likes Cha0t1c
PeroK said:
It's a quadratic equation.
(a+1)^2 = (b+1)^2, How did I not see that?!

Cha0t1c said:
(a+1)^2 = (b+1)^2, How did I not see that?!
But you're not done.
If ##(a + 1)^2 = (b + 1)^2## then ##a + 1 = \pm (b + 1)##. What more do you need to do to conclude that a = b?

Likes Cha0t1c
Mark44 said:
But you're not done.
If ##(a + 1)^2 = (b + 1)^2## then ##a + 1 = \pm (b + 1)##. What more do you need to do to conclude that a = b?
But a and b are strictly greater than 1 for all a and b since the domain is ] 1, +inf [. Doesn't it free us from this situation since b + 1 will always be greater than 0?

Cha0t1c said:
But a and b are strictly greater than 1 for all a and b since the domain is ] 1, +inf [. Doesn't it free us from this situation since b + 1 will always be greater than 0?

Yes, it does.

Likes Cha0t1c
If you know how to differentiate you can use that to see where the function is strictly increasing/decreasing and thus not taking the same value twice.

WWGD said:
If you know how to differentiate you can use that to see where the function is strictly increasing/decreasing and thus not taking the same value twice.
But the thread was posted in the Precalc section. If the thread was posted appropriately, we can't assume any prior knowledge of calculus.

Likes PeroK
Mark44 said:
But the thread was posted in the Precalc section. If the thread was posted appropriately, we can't assume any prior knowledge of calculus.

Yes, but the argument still holds without calculus if you know about parabolas.

Math_QED said:
Yes, but the argument still holds without calculus if you know about parabolas.
My comment was about the use of calculus techniques such as differentiation in a thread posted in the Precalc section, not about any properties of parabolas.

I like the idea of looking at the increasing nature of the function (x+1)^2 on the domain [-1,inf), which is obvious even without differentiating, for this problem.

Related to Proving a function is injective

1. What does it mean for a function to be injective?

A function is injective if every element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. In other words, no two distinct elements in the domain can map to the same element in the range.

2. How do you prove that a function is injective?

To prove that a function is injective, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not injective. Another way to prove injectivity is by using algebraic methods, such as showing that if f(x1) = f(x2), then x1 = x2.

3. Can a function be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a function can be both injective and surjective. A function that is both injective and surjective is called a bijective function.

4. What is the difference between injective and bijective functions?

The main difference between injective and bijective functions is that bijective functions are both injective and surjective, while injective functions only need to satisfy the injectivity property. In other words, bijective functions are one-to-one and onto, while injective functions are only one-to-one.

5. Can a non-linear function be injective?

Yes, a non-linear function can be injective. The shape of the graph does not determine whether a function is injective or not. As long as each input maps to a unique output, the function is considered injective.