Proving Behavior of Particle in Infinite Potential: Wave Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a particle in an infinite potential well or "particle in a box." The question is how to describe the wave function for this situation and where to start in solving it. The person responding suggests reading the Wikipedia link provided and mentions that this is a common example used in teaching quantum mechanics. They also mention that there are subtle problems with this example, such as the inability to define a momentum operator.
loversphisics
Hello, guys! I have a question. How can I prove the behavior of a particle subjected to an infinite potential? Will the wave function exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

loversphisics said:
Hello, guys! I have a question. How can I prove the behavior of a particle subjected to an infinite potential? Will the wave function exist?
Do you mean like a particle in a box? A particle in an infinite potential well? Can you be more specific? Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_in_a_box

Likes vanhees71
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.Do you mean like a particle in a box? A particle in an infinite potential well? Can you be more specific? Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_in_a_box
Yes! It´s like a particle in a box. Do you how can i describe the wave function to this exemple ? Where do i start to solve this question ?

loversphisics said:
Yes! It´s like a particle in a box. Do you how can i describe the wave function to this exemple ? Where do i start to solve this question ?
Did you read the Wikipedia link that I posted? That should answer your question pretty well.

berkeman said:
Did you read the Wikipedia link that I posted? That should answer your question pretty well.
IMG! I hadn't seen the link above. I'll read it and anything I'll come here. Thank you very much.

Likes berkeman
Wave functions are interesting. Even more so their collapse.

Another common term for this situation is "infinite square well." If you Google for this phrase you will find many lecture notes about it. I think almost every introduction to quantum mechanics by way of Schrödinger's equation starts with this example. :smile:

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Yes, and almost any introduction hides the subtle problems of this only apparently simple example. E.g., you cannot define a momentum operator but its square (and thus the Hamiltonian used to define the model)...

Likes LittleSchwinger
H2: What is the concept of "Proving Behavior of Particle in Infinite Potential: Wave Function"?

The concept of "Proving Behavior of Particle in Infinite Potential: Wave Function" is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in an infinite potential well. It involves the use of the Schrodinger equation and boundary conditions to determine the probability of finding a particle at a certain position within the well.

H2: How does the infinite potential well affect the behavior of particles?

The infinite potential well creates a confined space for particles, meaning they have a limited region in which they can exist. This leads to the particles exhibiting wave-like behavior, as described by the Schrodinger equation. The well also affects the energy levels of the particles, causing them to be quantized.

H2: What is the significance of the wave function in this model?

The wave function, represented by the Greek letter psi (ψ), is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position within the infinite potential well. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate various properties of the particle, such as its energy and momentum.

H2: How does the behavior of particles in an infinite potential well differ from that in a finite potential well?

In an infinite potential well, particles are confined to a specific region and can only exist at certain energy levels. In contrast, particles in a finite potential well can exist at any energy level and are not confined to a specific region. Additionally, the behavior of particles in an infinite potential well is described by a continuous wave function, while particles in a finite potential well have a discontinuous wave function.

H2: What are some real-world applications of the "Proving Behavior of Particle in Infinite Potential: Wave Function" model?

The concept of "Proving Behavior of Particle in Infinite Potential: Wave Function" has many practical applications, such as in the design of semiconductors and quantum computing. It is also used in the study of atomic and molecular structures, as well as in understanding the behavior of particles in nuclear reactions. Additionally, this model has implications in the fields of medicine and materials science.