Proving BF action is a difference of Chern-Simons actions

• A
  • Thread starter StarWombat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    chern-simons
In summary, the conversation discusses the BF action and its relation to the difference of Chern-Simons terms. The factor of 2kappa in the BF action can be obtained by considering two Chern-Simons actions, but there is a discrepancy when expanding the first terms of each action. The conversation also mentions an extra term that vanishes due to the wedge product version of the Jacobi identity.
StarWombat
TL;DR Summary
Trying to prove a result about BF and CS actions, and looking for guidance with some of the working and interpretation
I believe this boils down to lack of familiarity on my part with wedge products of forms, so the answer is probably simple - but it's better to ask a stupid question than to remain ignorant! I've been looking at <https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9505027>, and the idea that the BF [1] action
$$S_{BF}=\int_M tr\left(B\wedge F+\frac{\kappa^2}{3}B∧B∧B\right)$$
can be written as proportional to the difference of Chern-Simons [2] terms, i.e. ##2\kappa S_{BF}=(1/2)(S_{CS}(A+κB)−S_{CS}(A−κB))## where
$$ S_{CS}(A)=\int_M tr(A\wedge dA+\frac{2}{3}A\wedge A\wedge A)$$
So, when I expand this out, the factor of ##2\kappa## is easy to obtain - it just comes about because there are two Chern-Simons actions - although it's not quite that simple. The second term in each CS action leads to the expected numerical factor, but the first terms give
$$ (1/2)\left(\int_M tr(A+\kappa B)\wedge dA -\int_M tr(A-\kappa B)\wedge dA\right) = (1/2)\int_M tr(2\kappa B\wedge dA) = \kappa\int_M tr(B\wedge F)$$
This doesn't agree with the factor being ##2\kappa## (as the paper I'm looking at claims, and which I do get for the ##B^3## term), rather than just ##\kappa##. So my first question is why am I off by a factor of two in this term?

There's also an extra term proportional to
$$tr(A\wedge A\wedge B+A\wedge B\wedge A+B\wedge A\wedge A)$$
arising from the second term in each CS action. If this were an ordinary product of matrices, the cyclic nature of the trace would mean that the three terms are equal and I'd get ##3tr AAB##. However, this term must be equal to zero, so my second question is am I right in presuming the wedge product version of the Jacobi identity sends this term to zero? Is there another/better way to understand why this term vanishes?

Thanks in advance.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BF_model
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chern–Simons_theory

What is the BF action?

The BF action is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a field theory. It is a combination of two terms - the B term, which involves the field strength tensor, and the F term, which involves the field itself.

What is the Chern-Simons action?

The Chern-Simons action is a topological term that describes the behavior of gauge fields in three dimensions. It is a gauge-invariant quantity that is used to study topological phases of matter.

How are the BF and Chern-Simons actions related?

The BF action can be written as a difference of two Chern-Simons actions. This means that the BF action can be viewed as a special case of the Chern-Simons action, with certain constraints on the field strength tensor and the gauge field.

Why is proving the BF action is a difference of Chern-Simons actions important?

Proving that the BF action is a difference of Chern-Simons actions is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between these two mathematical expressions. It also allows for the application of techniques and results from Chern-Simons theory to the study of BF theory.

What are the implications of this proof in the field of physics?

This proof has significant implications in the field of physics, particularly in the study of topological phases of matter. It also has applications in quantum field theory and string theory, providing a better understanding of the underlying mathematical structures and relationships between different theories.