Proving Convex Set Properties: A Guide to Showing the Convexity of X-Y

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that the set $X-Y = Z = \{x-y \mid x \in X, y \in Y\}$ is convex if $X$ and $Y$ are convex sets. The steps taken so far involve assuming a point $r$ on the segment line of $\overline{pq}$ and showing that it can be written as $kp + (1-k)q$ where $p \in Z$ and $q \in Z$. The steps also involve showing that $kp + (1-k)q$ lies in $Y$. This, along with the convexity of $X$ and $Y$, proves that $Z$ is convex. The assumption
rputra
I need help on this problem:

If $X$ and $Y$ are convex sets, show that $X-Y = Z = \{x-y \mid x \in X, y \in Y\}$ is also convex.

Here are the steps I have gone so far:

Let $p \in Z$ such that $p = x_1 - y_1$, and let $q \in Z$ such that $q = x_2 - y_2$. Assume that $r$ lays in the segment line of $\overline {pq}$ so that there exists $k$ and $k'$, with $k, k' \geq 0$ and $k+k' = 1$, such that $r = kp + (1-k)q$. By way of contradiction, we are going to show that $r \notin Z$, thus implying that $Z$ is indeed concave.

Then,
$$\begin{align}
r &= kp + (1-k)q \\
&= k(x_1 - y_1) + (1-k)(x_2 - y_2) \\
&= x_1k - y_1k + x_2 - y_2 - x_2k + y_2k \\
&= \ldots \\
&= \ldots
\end{align}$$

But then I do not how to follow up. Any help or hint would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tarrant said:
I need help on this problem:

If $X$ and $Y$ are convex sets, show that $X-Y = Z = \{x-y \mid x \in X, y \in Y\}$ is also convex.

Here are the steps I have gone so far:

Let $p \in Z$ such that $p = x_1 - y_1$, and let $q \in Z$ such that $q = x_2 - y_2$. Assume that $r$ lays in the segment line of $\overline {pq}$ so that there exists $k$ and $k'$, with $k, k' \geq 0$ and $k+k' = 1$, such that $r = kp + (1-k)q$. By way of contradiction, we are going to show that $r \notin Z$, thus implying that $Z$ is indeed concave.

Then,
$$\begin{align}
r &= kp + (1-k)q \\
&= x_1k - y_1k + x_2 - y_2 - x_2k + y_2k \\
&= \ldots \\
&= \ldots
\end{align}$$

But then I do not how to follow up. Any help or hint would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

I am not sure why are you invoking the contradiction approach. It's rather straightforward. And you have to show that $Z$ is convex and not concave!

Here is what you do

$$\begin{align}
r &= kp + (1-k)q \\
&= [kx_1 +(1-k)x_2 ]- [ky_1+ (1-k)y_2] \\
&= x-y
\end{align}$$
where $x=kx_1+(1-k)x_2$ and $y=ky_1+(1-k)y_2$. Note that $x\in X$ and $y\in Y$ since $X$ and $Y$ are convex. Thus $kp+(1-k)q$ lies in $X-Z=Y$, showing that $Z$ is convex.

caffeinemachine said:
I am not sure why are you invoking the contradiction approach. It's rather straightforward. And you have to show that $Z$ is convex and not concave!

Here is what you do

$$\begin{align}
r &= kp + (1-k)q \\
&= [kx_1 +(1-k)x_2 ]- [ky_1+ (1-k)y_2] \\
&= x-y
\end{align}$$
where $x=kx_1+(1-k)x_2$ and $y=ky_1+(1-k)y_2$. Note that $x\in X$ and $y\in Y$ since $X$ and $Y$ are convex. Thus $kp+(1-k)q$ lies in $X-Z=Y$, showing that $Z$ is convex.

My bad, my bad! Sorry for the dumb opinion. Thank you for pointing that out! Just to let you know that I forgot to mention that $X$ and $Y$ are in vector space. (Or perhaps you have already known it by implication?) That means that $X$ and $Y$ are closed under addition and scalar multiplication, am I correct in these? Thanks again and again for your time and effort.

Tarrant said:
My bad, my bad! Sorry for the dumb opinion. Thank you for pointing that out! Just to let you know that I forgot to mention that $X$ and $Y$ are in vector space. (Or perhaps you have already known it by implication?) That means that $X$ and $Y$ are closed under addition and scalar multiplication, am I correct in these? Thanks again and again for your time and effort.
The implication that $X-Y$ is convex follows from the convexity of $X$ and $Y$ alone. We do not need to assume that $X$ and $Y$ are vector spaces. If something is confusing you then you may start from the beginning in the next post.

1. What is a convex set?

A convex set is a set where, for any two points within the set, all points along the line connecting them are also within the set. In other words, a convex set is a set that does not have any indentations or holes.

2. How can I prove the convexity of a set?

To prove the convexity of a set, you can use the definition of a convex set and show that for any two points within the set, all points along the line connecting them are also within the set. This can be done through various methods such as using the properties of convex functions or using the convex combination definition.

3. Why is proving convex set properties important?

Proving convex set properties is important because convexity is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has numerous applications in fields such as optimization, economics, and statistics. Understanding and proving convex set properties allows for the development of more efficient algorithms and models in these fields.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving convex set properties?

One common mistake to avoid when proving convex set properties is assuming that a set is convex based on its shape or geometric appearance. Convexity is a mathematical concept that requires a rigorous proof, so it is important to use the definition and appropriate techniques when proving convex set properties.

5. Can convex set properties be proven for any set?

No, not all sets are convex. For a set to be convex, it must satisfy the definition of convexity, which means that for any two points within the set, all points along the line connecting them must also be within the set. If a set has indentations or holes, it is not convex and therefore cannot have convex set properties.