Proving division of continuous functions

In summary: So if g(x) is within e of g(a), what can you say about g(x)?In summary, the conversation discusses proving the continuity of f/g at a when f and g are continuous at a and g(a) is not equal to 0. The conversation explores different approaches, including manipulating the delta-epsilon definition of continuity, using limit theorems, and showing that 1/g(x) is continuous at a. The conversation also includes a helpful trick for manipulating absolute value inequalities and a geometric intuition for understanding the problem.
buZZ

Homework Statement

Okay, so if f and g are continuous functions at a, then prove that f/g is continuous at a if and only if g(a) # 0

Homework Equations

Assuming to start off the g(a)#0, by the delta-epsilon definition of continuity, basically, We know that |f(x)| and |g(x)| are bounded.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have messed around with the end result that we need, which is when |x-a|< delta
|f(x)/g(x)-f(a)g(a)|<Epsilon. This is what I've come up with:

|1/(g(x)g(a))|*|f(x)g(a)-f(a)g(x)|.
By looking at each piece it seems like they can be bounded as well. However, how do i manipulate what each one is bounded by so that when I multiply and add everything out, I get a nice simple Epsilon?

Physics news on Phys.org
you know...I could be going about it completely the wrong way too..

buZZ said:
you know...I could be going about it completely the wrong way too..
You've already proven a bunch of limit theorems. Can you use those limit theorems to derive this one?

P.S. I assume by # you meant [itex]\neq[/itex]; you should say that someplace rather than just using it without warning.

buZZ said:
|1/(g(x)g(a))|*|f(x)g(a)-f(a)g(x)|.
By looking at each piece it seems like they can be bounded as well. However, how do i manipulate what each one is bounded by so that when I multiply and add everything out, I get a nice simple Epsilon?
If both pieces are bounded by [itex]\sqrt{\epsilon}[/itex], then what is their product bounded by?

(I assume by "piece" you meant the two multiplicands)

Hurkyl said:
You've already proven a bunch of limit theorems. Can you use those limit theorems to derive this one?

P.S. I assume by # you meant [itex]\neq[/itex]; you should say that someplace rather than just using it without warning.
sorry about that, I didn't realize you could do that...I'm new here,
And I need to use the rigorous definitions of continuity, so deriving it here from what I know about the bunches of limit theorems I know isn't sufficient.

Hurkyl said:
If both pieces are bounded by [itex]\sqrt{\epsilon}[/itex], then what is their product bounded by?

(I assume by "piece" you meant the two multiplicands)

It doesn't seem that easy. Maybe I should back up.
The fact that f and g are continuous at a mean that for |x-a|<delta,
|f(x)-f(a)|<Something involving epsilon(1)
|g(x)-g(a)|<something involving ep(2)

By triangle inequality,
|f(x)|< something involving E(1) + |f(a)|
|g(x)|< something involving E(2) + |g(a)|

Since this is what we know, we have to start multiplying around and around using these two inequalities to get the final result |1/(g(x)g(a))|*|f(x)g(a)-f(a)g(x)|. For example,
|f(x)g(a)|< something involving E(1)*|g(a)|+|f(a)g(a)|.

Now I'm confusing myself again, Am I making this too complicated? or what

There's a famous trick that's very useful for manipulating absolute value inequalities:

AB - CD = AB - AD + AD - CD = A(B-D) + (A-C)D

So if B-D and A-C are things you happen to know something about...

that only seems useful if I'm trying to prove that f*g is continuous at a, but I'm lost as to see why that's useful for f/g

Because you have

|1/(g(x)g(a))|*|f(x)g(a)-f(a)g(x)|

Specifically, the
|f(x)g(a)-f(a)g(x)|

term can be split. to deal with the 1/g(x), note that eventually g(x)>g(a)-e (e being epsilon) for all x within delta of a, for any epsilon

Okay, abandon my initial approach. I think it'd be ten times easier if I show that 1/g(x) is continuous at a. Since g(a) is not zero, then g(x) has to bounded away from zero. Which means that 1/g(x) will not get infinitely large, but rather, will be bounded by something else. Now if only I could put that into a nice algebraic argument that would have a bit more clout.
If |g(x)-g(a)|< e then how do you get that g(x) > g(a) - e without ignoring the absolute values?

By definition, that means -e< g(x)-g(a) < e so g(a)-e<g(x) and g(x)< g(a)+e

Geometric intuition time: If |x-a|<e for any kind of x, a and e, that means that x is within e of a.

Related to Proving division of continuous functions

What is the definition of division of continuous functions?

The division of continuous functions is a mathematical operation that involves dividing one continuous function by another to form a new continuous function.

What are the key concepts in proving division of continuous functions?

The key concepts in proving division of continuous functions include the properties of continuous functions, the definition of limits, and the use of the quotient rule for derivatives.

How do you prove division of continuous functions using the quotient rule?

To prove division of continuous functions using the quotient rule, you first take the derivative of the numerator and the denominator separately. Then, you apply the quotient rule by dividing the derivative of the numerator by the original denominator and subtracting the derivative of the denominator times the original numerator divided by the square of the original denominator.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when proving division of continuous functions?

Common mistakes to avoid when proving division of continuous functions include forgetting to check for undefined points, incorrectly applying the quotient rule, and not simplifying the resulting function.

What are some real-world applications of division of continuous functions?

Division of continuous functions has many real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate rates of change and in economics to model supply and demand. It is also used in engineering to design and optimize systems, and in finance to analyze data and make predictions.