Proving Double Sum Equivalence

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove the following equation: \sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty} f(n,m) = \sum\limits_{p=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{q=0}^{p} f(q,p-q), where f(n,m) is a function of n and m. There is debate over whether this equation is true, with some suggesting it may be a typo and others providing examples where it is not true. One person suggests a proof using absolute convergence, while another proposes a proof using the Maclaurin series. References to other texts are mentioned for further
James R
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Does anybody know how to prove the following?

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty} f(n,m) = \sum\limits_{p=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{q=0}^{p} f(p,p-q)[/tex]

f(n,m) is any function of n and m.

Note the change of the limiting values on the sums.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd be very impressed if a suitable proof exists, considering that it's not true.

For example, if
[tex]f(x,y)=2^{y-2x}[/tex]
then the LHS is clearly not convergent, but the RHS is.

James R said:
Does anybody know how to prove the following?

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty} f(n,m) = \sum\limits_{p=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{q=0}^{p} f(p,p-q)[/tex]

f(n,m) is any function of n and m.

Note the change of the limiting values on the sums.

That looks false to me, but it may be a little typo. Do you perhaps mean:

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty} f(n,m) = \sum\limits_{p=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{q=0}^{p} f(q,p-q)[/tex]

This kind of rearrangement usually follows from absolute convergence pretty easily, are you sure there's no restrictions on f(n,m)?

shmoe said:
That looks false to me, but it may be a little typo. Do you perhaps mean:

[tex]\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty} f(n,m) = \sum\limits_{p=0}^{\infty} \sum\limits_{q=0}^{p} f(q,p-q)[/tex]

This kind of rearrangement usually follows from absolute convergence pretty easily, are you sure there's no restrictions on f(n,m)?

That's still false.
Consider, for example [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] is [itex]2^{-x!-y!}[/itex] if [itex]y>x[/itex] and [itex]0[/itex] otherwise. Both sums are absolutely convergent, but the LHS is non-zero, and the RHS is zero.

If there is absolute convergence, then
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}f(m,n)=\sum_{p=0}^\infty\sum_{q=0}^p f(p+q,p-q)+\sum_{p=0}^\infty\sum_{q=0}^p f(p+q+1,p-q)[/tex]
works. Although, I'd be inclined to write that
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}f(m,n)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m>0,n>0,m+n=k}f(m,n)[/tex]

Last edited:
NateTG said:
That's still false.
Consider, for example [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] is [itex]2^{-x!-y!}[/itex] if [itex]y>x[/itex] and [itex]0[/itex] otherwise. Both sums are absolutely convergent, but the LHS is non-zero, and the RHS is zero.

The RHS is not zero. Take the p=1 term, it's f(0,1)+f(1,0), one of these is non-zero. (Maybe you missed where I changed f(p,p-q) to f(q,p-q))

You can think of the double sum as a sum over the integer lattice (n,m) where n and m are >=0. The LHS sums along infinite vertical lines (e.g. (0,0), (0,1), (0,2),...) then sums the results. My version sums along the lines with slope -1 (the lines m+n=p), then sums the results. James version looks to sum everything under the line y=x say (though I'd expect it was a typo).

Your version

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}f(m,n)=\sum_ {k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m>0,n>0,m+n=k}f(m,n)[/tex]

is the same as mine except you seem to be missing all points where one of n or m is zero. If you meant for n and m to be >= to zero instead of just >0, then it's the same as mine (take k=p, m=q)

Last edited:
Yeah, those should have been greater than or equal to.

shmoe said:
The RHS is not zero. Take the p=1 term, it's f(0,1)+f(1,0), one of these is non-zero. (Maybe you missed where I changed f(p,p-q) to f(q,p-q))

Yeah, I misread that as (q,q-p) which is no good.

Damn! Sorry about that. It was a typo, and should read:

That is, it is f(q,p-q) rather than f(p,p-q).

So, given that, does anybody have a proof?

Here's one specific context, for example.

We know that exp(x+y) = exp(x)exp(y).

Writing exp(x+y) and exp(x) as Maclaurin series, I would like to prove that the left hand side equals the right hand side. If you try that, it leads to a double sum of the type given.

Last edited:
You will be able to find proofs of this sort of thing under various assumptions in most intro analysis texts, see Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis for example.

Related to Proving Double Sum Equivalence

What is "Proving Double Sum Equivalence"?

"Proving Double Sum Equivalence" is a mathematical concept that involves showing that two different double summation expressions are equivalent, meaning that they produce the same result when evaluated.

Why is it important to prove double sum equivalence?

Proving double sum equivalence is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to work with. It also helps to establish relationships between different mathematical concepts and can be used to solve various problems in mathematics and other fields.

What is the process for proving double sum equivalence?

The process for proving double sum equivalence involves breaking down both expressions into simpler forms, manipulating them using algebraic techniques, and showing that they ultimately result in the same value when evaluated. This can involve using properties of summation, such as commutativity and associativity, as well as other mathematical principles.

What are some common challenges when proving double sum equivalence?

Some common challenges when proving double sum equivalence include keeping track of multiple summation indices, dealing with complex expressions, and ensuring that all steps in the proof are logically and mathematically sound. It can also be challenging to know which algebraic manipulations to use in order to simplify the expressions and reach the desired result.

What are some real-world applications of proving double sum equivalence?

Proving double sum equivalence has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. For example, it can be used to analyze the efficiency of algorithms, model physical systems, and optimize resource allocation in various industries. It is also a fundamental concept in advanced mathematics and is used in many areas of research.