Proving Innocence with Physics in Accident

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in determining the speed at which they were hit in a car accident, based on the distance they were pushed by the other vehicle and the weight of their car. They provide their calculations and ask for someone to double-check their math, but the forum does not offer help with physics or math for traffic accidents. The individual was involved in an accident where they were making a left turn on a yellow light and got hit by a car running a red light. They both received tickets and the individual is seeking to prove fault using their calculations. However, the forum states that the accident was a matter of proper judgment and caution and the responsibility lies with the individual for not properly judging the safety of making the turn. The
TChadwick
I understand that most likely there are no accident experts on this forum and I am not looking for one per-say. I was in an accident where I turned left after entering the intersection on a yellow, pausing for a red and then proceeding, only to be hit by a guy running the red light. We both received tickets for running a red light and I received a warning for not yielding to him. I have done what I believe is the correct math to determine that he hit me doing roughly 14 mph, and I'm hoping those on this forum might be willing to double-check my math. I welcome any and all assistance! When the gentlemen hit me, he pushed me approximately 2.732532 meters based off some convenient scraping. My car weighs 1715.48634 kg and using a coefficient of friction of 0.75 (split difference from source 1: 0.7 http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict.html#coe and source 2: 0.8, http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/crstp.html#c1) Resulting in:

D = (Vinitial 2) / (2 * u * g)
2.732532 meters = (Vinitial 2) / (2 * 0.75 * 9.8)
Vinitial = 6.3378403577 m/s
Can anyone check this?

Thanks again for any and all help!

Likes nasu
Physics news on Phys.org
cant say anything about physics, but in this case, i don't believe you can use that to prove fault
if that's what your wanting to do

if i understand right, your at and intersection, making a left, pass the light/line on a yellow
wait for an opening, then get clipped by oncomming traffic while their light is now red

this situation is "a matter of proper judgment and caution"

the reason you got ticketed is the officer decided you failed to properly judge wether you would
be able to make your turn safely before the light change of oncomming traffic (the timmings have an offset for turn lane)

theres is no dissagreement as to thay hit you, but that you should have already been gone
or have stopped behind the line and waited for next light

and that is what the officer had to make a judgment on

I'm sorry but we don't get involved in helping people with physics or math for traffic accidents. Thread locked.

What is the role of physics in proving innocence in an accident?

Physics plays a crucial role in accident investigation and reconstruction. By using principles of motion, forces, and energy, scientists can analyze the evidence and determine what happened during the accident. This can help prove innocence by showing that the laws of physics support the defendant's version of events.

How can physics be used to determine the cause of an accident?

By using physics, scientists can analyze the physical evidence at the accident scene, such as tire marks, vehicle damage, and the location of objects. They can also recreate the accident using computer simulations and mathematical models to determine the most likely cause or sequence of events.

Can physics be used to refute eyewitness testimony?

Yes, physics can be used to refute eyewitness testimony by providing a scientifically supported explanation for what actually happened. For example, if a witness claims that a car was traveling at a high speed, but the physics of the accident scene suggest otherwise, the testimony may be called into question.

What types of accidents can be investigated using physics?

Physics can be applied to various types of accidents, including car crashes, industrial accidents, and even medical malpractice incidents. Any event that involves the principles of motion and forces can be analyzed using physics to determine what happened and who may be responsible.

What kind of evidence is needed to prove innocence using physics?

In order to prove innocence with physics in an accident, scientists will need to gather and analyze physical evidence from the scene, such as vehicle damage, skid marks, and witness statements. They may also need to conduct experiments and simulations to recreate the accident and test different scenarios.