Proving length contraction exists

In summary, the conversation is about a gedanken experiment to show length contraction described as L=Lo/γ. The two systems involved are aligned at t=t'=0 and a mirror is placed at the end of a meterstick. A flashbulb goes off at the origin and a light pulse is sent down the x' axis, reflected, and returned. The question is how Mary, in the moving system, would see what Frank, in the fixed system, is seeing. The solution involves flipping the equations and using basic physics principles. It is also noted that the equation for length contraction is part of the Lorentz transformation, which the book is deriving.
daselocution

Homework Statement

Hey All; I am trying to follow along with the following example in my book, but I am getting lost somewhere.

"We can perform another gedanken experiment to arrive at the same result (showing that length contraction is described as L=Lo/γ; this time we lay the meterstick along the x' axis in the moving system K'. The two systems are aligned at t=t'=0. A mirror is placed at the end of the meterstick, and a flashbulb goes off at the origen at t=t'=0, sending a light pulse down the x' axis where it is reflected and returned. Mary (in the Moving system sees the stick at rest in the system K' and measures the proper length Lo (which should be 1 meter). Mary uses the same clock fixed at x'=0 for the time measurements. The stick is moving at speed v with respect to Frank (in the Fixed system K). The clocks at x=x'=0 both read zero when the origens are aligned just when the flashbulb goes off. Notice that in system K, by the time the light reaches the mirror the entire stick as moved a distance vt1 and by the time the light has been reflected back to the front of the stick again the stick as moved another total distance vt2; you should be able to find the solution in terms of length contraction as in the earlier examples.

I've tried it a few times and I'm really not sure where I keep on screwing up, but I cannot get derive the equation for length contraction using the lorentz transformations.

Homework Equations

ScreenShot2013-01-19at50642PM_zps3b4e77a1.png

ScreenShot2013-01-19at50630PM_zps7c7b6133.png

ScreenShot2013-01-19at50617PM_zps19175108.png

The Attempt at a Solution

photo1_zps650ea6d8.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
That response was at first frustrating but ultimately quite helpful. Does this make sense?:

When I started off doing the problem I was set on finding out what the length in Mary's system would be if it was transformed into Frank's system. Upon further thought, is the question instead asking how Mary would see what Frank is seeing? I know that in order to get the right answer I just need to flip my x=(x'+vt...etc.) into x'=(x-vt...) and the only reason I can come up with to say that flip makes sense is to say that we are actually trying to figure out how Mary would see what Frank is seeing, which is to say that we want the units as being in Mary's system, the one that starts with x', and to have that answer be based on the measurements that Frank makes in his own system of Mary's system. Does that follow? Am I thinking about it correctly then? This line of thought makes sense to me in that it takes into account the fact that Mary is moving with respect to Frank in the same way you could alternatively visualize Frank moving with -v with respect to Mary.

That response was at first frustrating but ultimately quite helpful. Does this make sense?
Well yes ... I've been doing this for a long time ;)

If I see how you are thinking, I can figure out how to explain things to you better - so I can work less but smarter - I'm not getting paid remember. ;) You will learn more, and retain what you have learned, and gain confidence in the subject.

Anyway - off your description:
Turning things upside down can be useful.

Mary has the "proper length", since she is stationary wrt the length being measured - she's just measuring it in a convoluted way.

You want to know what the length is in Frank's frame - in this F frame, the length is moving. Moving lengths are shorter than proper lengths. Try not to be distracted by the equations ... just use basic physics (v=d/t) inside each reference frame. The pattern should be the same as for the time-dilation one.

Take care - the flash-bulb goes off at the same place in both frames.

Start from
(1) ##L+v\Delta t_1 = c\Delta t_1##
(2) ##L-v\Delta t_2 = c\Delta t_2##
(3) ##\Delta t = \Delta t_1 + \Delta t_2##

... take it a step at a time.

In Frank's frame, Mary's clock is slow: ##\gamma \Delta t' = \Delta t## (4)
(unprimed frame is Frank's.)

Note, however:
I cannot get derive the equation for length contraction using the lorentz transformations
... you realize that the equation for length contraction is (part of) the Lorentz transformation. The book is deriving it.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
Note, however: ... you realize that the equation for length contraction is (part of) the Lorentz transformation. The book is deriving it.

Ahh I did not actually realize that. Thank you very much, I was able to get it with that help.

That would help - yes.
It was one of those situations: was it a slip or was it really meant that the way it was written - better check JIC. Glad to be able to help :)

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in which the length of an object appears to decrease when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer.

2. How is length contraction related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Length contraction is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the Special Theory of Relativity which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

3. Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

No, length contraction is only noticeable at extremely high speeds, such as near the speed of light. In everyday life, objects are not moving at these speeds, so length contraction is not noticeable.

4. How is length contraction proven to exist?

Length contraction has been proven to exist through various experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the Ives-Stilwell experiment. These experiments showed that the speed of light remains constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

5. Is length contraction a real physical phenomenon or just a mathematical concept?

Length contraction is a real physical phenomenon that has been observed and proven through experiments. It is not just a mathematical concept, but rather a fundamental aspect of the nature of space and time as described by Einstein's theory of relativity.