Proving Negative G-Forces with an Example

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that negative Gs are occurring in a stunt pilot's maneuver. The homework statement provides a scenario and the Homework Equations offer possible solutions. The Attempt at a Solution includes calculations and speculates about the direction of travel and the pilot's acceleration. The conversation concludes with a question about whether traveling vertically downwards would result in negative Gs.
BlueBiro
Hi, nice forum. I was thinking how I would go about proving with an example, that negative Gs are occurring?

Homework Statement

Say a stunt pilot is doing a maneuver that will expose him to negative Gs. It could look like this:
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Aeros_fig_englishbunt.svg[/URL]
Let his mass = 70kg and v = 60 m/s
These can be modified if you like

Homework Equations

Fc = (mv²)/r & F = ma

or ac = v²/r ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was hoping to be able to finish with something like: if r > 1024m then he experiences -Gs but the answer is always positive. The only thing that could be -ive is velocity but it's squared. Am I attacking this wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear from your diagram what the direction of travel is.

He would be traveling from the point (the top).
Using the above velocity, with a radius of 150m, his accel would = 24 ms² ≈ 2.4 g's.
Would I be correct in saying that when he is travveling vertically downwards that would be 2.4 negative g's?

Related to Proving Negative G-Forces with an Example

1. How can negative G-forces be proven in a scientific way?

To prove negative G-forces, scientists use instruments such as accelerometers, which measure the acceleration and deceleration of objects. They also use mathematical equations and calculations to analyze the data collected from these instruments.

2. What is an example of a negative G-force?

An example of a negative G-force is when a roller coaster rapidly descends from a high point, causing the riders to feel weightless or experience a floating sensation.

3. How do negative G-forces affect the human body?

Negative G-forces can cause blood to flow away from the head, resulting in a decrease in blood pressure and oxygen supply to the brain. This can lead to symptoms such as dizziness, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness.

4. Are there any practical applications for studying negative G-forces?

Yes, understanding negative G-forces is important in fields such as aviation and space travel. Pilots and astronauts need to be aware of how negative G-forces can affect their bodies and take precautions to prevent injury or loss of consciousness.

5. Can negative G-forces be harmful?

Yes, negative G-forces can be harmful if not managed properly. In extreme cases, they can cause damage to the body's organs and tissues. This is why it is important to study and understand negative G-forces to ensure the safety of individuals who may experience them.