Proving non homeomorphism between a closed interval & ##\mathbb{R}##

In summary: Thanks for the hintsWould another way be noticing that any bijection from a closed interval maps to a closed set? (While ##\mathbb{R}## is...open?)I think the answer to this question is in the original post. I'll try to find it.I think the answer to this question is in the original post. I'll try to find it.
davidge said:
Yes

Why not? Can you point out where I'm wrong in the following? Suppose ##X## is a non compact space and suppose we have a surjection ##f## from ##X## to another space ##Y##. Then

$$X = \bigcup_{i \in I} U_i = \bigcup_{i \in F \subset I} U_i \Longleftrightarrow F = I$$

Also, ##Y = f(X)##. That is, ##Y## is the image of ##X## under ##f##. But $$ f(X) = f \bigg(\bigcup_{i \in I} U_i \bigg) = f \bigg(\bigcup_{i \in F \subset I} U_i \bigg)$$ with ##F = I##, which means ##Y## is also not compact.

Like Infrared pointed out: what if ##Y##={##pt##}, a singleton? Or consider ##[-1,1)## under ##f(x)=x^2 ##.

Likes davidge
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Like Infrared pointed out: what if ##Y##={##pt##}, a singleton? Or consider ##[-1,1)## under ##f(x)=x^2 ##.
Oh, I see. So what can we conclude from all this? Connectedness is a stronger condition than compactness when determining whether or not two spaces are homeomorphic?

davidge said:
Connectedness is a stronger condition than compactness when determining whether or not two spaces are homeomorphic?

No, neither compactness nor connectedness implies the other. [itex](0,1)[/itex] is connected but not compact. [itex] \{0,1\}[/itex] is compact but not connected.

Edit: Also, sorry but I can't understand your attempted proof that the image of a non-compact space is non-compact.

Likes davidge
davidge said:
Oh, I see. So what can we conclude from all this? Connectedness is a stronger condition than compactness when determining whether or not two spaces are homeomorphic?
I think, if I( understood you correctly) that you are trying to argue ## (A \rightarrow B) \rightarrow (\neg A \rightarrow \neg B )## e.g., if compact is sent to compact then non-compact is mapped into non-compact, through continuous functions.

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
No, neither compactness nor connectedness implies the other. [itex](0,1)[/itex] is connected but not compact. [itex] \{0,1\}[/itex] is compact but not connected.
I see
Infrared said:
sorry but I can't understand your attempted proof that the image of a non-compact space is non-compact.
Suppose there is a surjection ##f## from a non compact space ##X## to another space ##Y##. As ##f## is a surjection, each ##y \in Y## will be the image of at least one ##x \in X##. So we can write ##Y## as the image of ##X## under ##f##, can't we? If so, it follows that ##Y## is also not compact, by the arguments shown in my post #34.
WWGD said:
I think, if I( understood you correctly) that you are trying to argue ## (A \rightarrow B) \rightarrow (\neg A \rightarrow \neg B )## e.g., if compact is sent to compact then non-compact is mapped into non-compact, through continuous functions.
Excuse me. I was actually trying to ask whether we should test for connectedness or compactness when we want to know whether two spaces are homeomorphic.

Likes WWGD
davidge said:
I see
Suppose there is a surjection ##f## from a non compact space ##X## to another space ##Y##. As ##f## is a surjection, each ##y \in Y## will be the image of at least one ##x \in X##. So we can write ##Y## as the image of ##X## under ##f##, can't we? If so, it follows that ##Y## is also not compact, by the arguments shown in my post #34.

Excuse me. I was actually trying to ask whether we should test for connectedness or compactness when we want to know whether two spaces are homeomorphic.
Ah, sorry. I can't see a general argument to be made, I just think it is more of a case-by-case basis.

Likes davidge
davidge said:

I really don't understand this argument at all, so I'll just guess at where you're going wrong. Writing a space as an infinite union of open sets does not make a space non-compact. Not being compact would only follow if this open cover had no finite sub-cover.

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
Writing a space as an infinite union of open sets does not make a space non-compact. Not being compact would only follow if this open cover had no finite sub-cover.
Yes, but in most cases, a open cover doesn't have a finite sub-cover only when there are infinite elements in the index set, i.e. when a infinite number of unions is needed to cover the space.

WWGD said:
Ah, sorry. I can't see a general argument to be made, I just think it is more of a case-by-case basis.
Oh, ok

davidge said:
Yes, but in most cases, an open cover doesn't have a finite sub-cover only when there are infinite elements in the index set, i.e. when a infinite number of unions is needed to cover the space.

I don't know what you mean by 'most' here. You're interested in the case that the image is compact, which means you can find a finite sub-cover..

In any event, this thread has drifted from the topic question. I'd suggest making a new thread.

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
I don't know what you mean by 'most' here. You're interested in the case that the image is compact, which means you can find a finite sub-cover..

In any event, this thread has drifted from the topic question. I'd suggest making a new thread.
Ok. Thanks.