Proving non homeomorphism between a closed interval & ##\mathbb{R}##

In summary: Thanks for the hintsWould another way be noticing that any bijection from a closed interval maps to a closed set? (While ##\mathbb{R}## is...open?)I think the answer to this question is in the original post. I'll try to find it.I think the answer to this question is in the original post. I'll try to find it.
davidge
I was trying to show that a closed interval ##[a,b]## and ##\mathbb{R}## cannot be homeomorphic. I would like to know whether this can actually be considered as a proof. It is the following:

- The closed interval ##[a,b]## can be written as ##[a,p] \cup [p,b]##, where ##a \leq p \leq b##.
- ##\mathbb{R}## can be written as ##(- \infty, q) \cup (s, \infty)##, where ##s < q##.

Let ##[a, b] = A## and ##[p,b] = B##.
If there is a homeomorphism ##f## from ##[a, b]## to ##\mathbb{R}##, then

- ##\mathbb{R} = f(A) \cup f(B)##

Each point on ##f(A) \cap f(B)## is the image of one, and only one, point which is in both ##A## and ##B##. Considering the extreme case, there will be only one point on ##A \cap B##, namely ##\text{{p}}##. On the other hand, ##f(A) \cap f(B)## will have more than one point (possibly infinite points) as it is the intersection of two open intervals ##f(A)## and ##f(B)## whose union is ##\mathbb{R}##.
So ##f## cannot be an injection, which contradicts ##f## being a homeomorphism.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean to write [itex]A=[a,p][/itex]. How do you know that [itex]f(A)[/itex] and [itex]f(B)[/itex] are of the form [itex](-\infty,q)[/itex] and [itex](s,\infty)[/itex], respectively?

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
I assume you mean to write [itex]A=[a,p][/itex]. How do you know that [itex]f(A)[/itex] and [itex]f(B)[/itex] are of the form [itex](-\infty,q)[/itex] and [itex](s,\infty)[/itex], respectively?
You are correct. I should have only said that ##\mathbb{R} = f(A) \cup f(B)##. We don't know the form of ##f(A)## nor ##f(B)##.

Okay, but then you can't conclude [itex]f(A)\cap f(B)=(s,q)[/itex].

Infrared said:
Okay, but then you can't conclude [itex]f(A)\cap f(B)=(s,q)[/itex].
Yes. I'm going to edit my post.

Wait, by a suitable choice of the function ##f##, ##f(A)## and ##f(B)## would have those forms, wouldn't?

You don't get to choose [itex]f[/itex]. You have to prove that no such [itex]f[/itex] is a homeomorphism.

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
You don't get to choose [itex]f[/itex]. You have to prove that no such [itex]f[/itex] is a homeomorphism.
Plase, take a look at the opening post again. I have edited it.

I think I still have the same objection. Why are [itex]f(A)[/itex] and [itex]f(B)[/itex] open intervals?

davidge said:
On the other hand, ##f(A) \cap f(B)## will have more than one point (possibly infinite points) as it is the intersection of two open intervals ##f(A)## and ##f(B)## whose union is ##\mathbb{R}##.

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
I think I have the same objection still. Why are [itex]f(A)[/itex] and [itex]f(B)[/itex] open intervals?
Because ##\mathbb{R}## is open, and thus it has to be the union of two open intervals?

davidge said:
Because ##\mathbb{R}## is open, and thus it has to be the union of two open intervals?

Having [itex]\mathbb{R}=A\cup B[/itex] doesn't mean that [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are open. What if, say, [itex]A=(-\infty,0][/itex] and [itex]B=[0,\infty)[/itex]?

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
Having [itex]\mathbb{R}=A\cup B[/itex] doesn't mean that [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are open. What if, say, [itex]A=(-\infty,0][/itex] and [itex]B=[0,\infty)[/itex]?
In this case, as ##A## is closed and ##(- \infty, 0]## is not, ##f## would not be a bijection. Similarly for ##B## and ##f(B)##.

davidge said:
In this case, as ##A## is closed and ##(- \infty, 0]## is not, ##f## would not be a bijection. Similarly for ##B## and ##f(B)##.

[itex](-\infty,0][/itex] is a closed subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Likes davidge
I have to leave now, but here are a couple hints/solution sketches in case you get stuck:

Show that a continuous injection [itex] f:[a,b]\to\mathbb{R} [/itex] has to be (strictly) monotonic. Examine [itex]f(a)[/itex] to violate surjectivity.

Alternatively, recall the following form of the intermediate value theorem: If [itex]J\subset\mathbb{R}[/itex] is an interval and [itex]f:J\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous, then [itex]f(J)[/itex] is an interval. It can be used as follows: [itex]f([a,b))[/itex] must be an interval in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], but it is also the punctured line [itex]\mathbb{R}\setminus\{f(b)\}[/itex] by bijectivity. Contradiction.

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
I have to leave now, but here are a couple hints/solution sketches in case you get stuck:

Show that a continuous injection [itex] f:[a,b]\to\mathbb{R} [/itex] has to be (strictly) monotonic. Examine [itex]f(a)[/itex] to violate surjectivity.

Alternatively, recall the following form of the intermediate value theorem: If [itex]J\subset\mathbb{R}[/itex] is an interval and [itex]f:J\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous, then [itex]f(J)[/itex] is an interval. It can be used as follows: [itex]f([a,b))[/itex] must be an interval in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], but it is also the punctured line [itex]\mathbb{R}\setminus\{f(b)\}[/itex] by bijectivity. Contradiction.
Thanks for the hints

Would another way be noticing that any bijection from a closed interval maps to a closed set? (While ##\mathbb{R}## is open.)

No, [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is closed too, as a subspace of itself (open does not imply not closed). Also, mere bijections don't preserve openness/closedness- you're using the fact that [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is continuous when you say that [itex]f[/itex] takes closed sets to closed sets.

If you're familiar with compactness, you could just say [itex] [a,b][/itex] is compact while [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] isn't and this would show the stronger statement that there is no continuous surjection [itex][a,b]\to\mathbb{R}[/itex], but it's better to do things with your bare hands when learning this stuff.

Likes davidge
WWGD said:
Hint: Heine -Borel theorem.

See my last post.

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
See my last post.
Ah, sorry. You can then use the connectivity number: removal of anyone point will disconnect the Real line, while the same is not the case for [a,b]. Can you see that?EDIT: along the lines of post 14, consider this and the Euler number.

Last edited:
Likes davidge
WWGD said:
Ah, sorry. You can then use the connectivity number: removal of anyone point will disconnect the Real line, while the same is not the case for [a,b]. Can you see that?

Yep, this is basically my second hint in post 14 (restating IVT in connectivity terms).

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
If you're familiar with compactness, you could just say [itex] [a,b][/itex] is compact while [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] isn't and this would show the stronger statement that there is no continuous surjection [itex][a,b]\to\mathbb{R}[/itex], but it's better to do things with your bare hands when learning this stuff.
Yes, I find it more easy to show they are not homeomorphic by arguments of compactness. But the thing is that I want to prove it without using compactness.
WWGD said:
Ah, sorry. You can then use the connectivity number: removal of anyone point will disconnect the Real line, while the same is not the case for [a,b]. Can you see that?
How does one show this?

Infrared said:
[itex]f([a,b))[/itex] must be an interval in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], but it is also the punctured line [itex]\mathbb{R}\setminus\{f(b)\}[/itex] by bijectivity. Contradiction.
Sorry, I don't see.

davidge said:
Sorry, I don't see.

The intermediate value theorem tells you that [itex]f([a,b))[/itex] is an interval. Since [itex]f[/itex] is an injection, [itex]f(b)\notin f([a,b))[/itex] as otherwise we would have [itex]f(c)=f(b)[/itex] for some [itex]c\in[a,b)[/itex], contradicting injectivity. Also, for any real [itex]y\neq f(b)[/itex], there is a [itex]x\in[a,b)[/itex] with [itex]f(x)=y[/itex] by surjectivity. Hence, [itex]f([a,b))=\mathbb{R}\setminus\{f(b)\}[/itex], which is not an interval. Contradiction.

Is any step still unclear?

Likes davidge
Oh, got it now. Thanks.

Infrared said:
Yep, this is basically my second hint in post 14 (restating IVT in connectivity terms).
Edited to acknowledge.

Likes davidge
davidge said:
Yes, I find it more easy to show they are not homeomorphic by arguments of compactness. But the thing is that I want to prove it without using compactness.

How does one show this?Sorry, I don't see.
What happens when you remove ( one- or- more of) the endpoints of ##[a,b]##, is the resulting space connected? By contrast, what happens when you remove any point from the Real line; is the resulting space connected?

Likes davidge
WWGD said:
What happens when you remove ( one- or- more of) the endpoints of ##[a,b]##, is the resulting space connected?
I don't know how to use the concept of connectness in this case, as the resulting space e.g. ##[a,b)## is half-open, and by the definition of connectness the space must be open.

davidge said:
I don't know how to use the concept of connectness in this case, as the resulting space e.g. ##[a,b)## is half-open, and by the definition of connectness the space must be open.
Yes, but we are considering connectedness, not openness; the space remains connected.

Likes davidge
WWGD said:
Yes, but we are considering connectedness, not openness; the space remains connected.
What definition of connectedness are you thinking of? The one I know states that a space is disconnected if it can be expressed as the union of two open spaces, such that their intersection is empty.

davidge said:
What definition of connectedness are you thinking of? The one I know states that a space is connected if it can be expressed as the union of two open spaces, such that their intersection is empty.

Well, yes, the definition I know of for connectedness is a "negative definition" , in that a space is connected if there exists no disconnection of the space. But tyou need to tighten your definitoon, otherwise, ## (0,1) \cup (2,3) ## is connected.

Likes davidge
WWGD said:
Well, yes, the definition I know of for connectedness is a "negative definition" , in that a space is connected if there exists no disconnection of the space. But tyou need to tighten your definitoon, otherwise, ## (0,1) \cup (2,3) ## is connected.
Oops, I edited my last post. I meant "disconnected" instead of "connected".

Likes WWGD
I think I have found a problem. Consider ##(0, 2 \pi]## and ##[-1,1]##, and the function ##\text{Sin(x)}##. There seems to be a surjection from ##(0, 2 \pi]## to ##[-1,1]##.

- By compactness theorem, this can't be true, since the former is not compact while the latter is.
- By connectedness, this is true, since both are connected.

How do we solve this problem?

davidge said:
By compactness theorem, this can't be true, since the former is not compact while the latter is.
What is the "compactness theorem"? What does it say?

Likes davidge
Krylov said:
What is the "compactness theorem"? What does it say?
Well, a half-open space requires infinite unions of closed spaces, approaching its open end element, but never reaching it. So isn't it not compact?

davidge said:
I think I have found a problem. Consider ##(0, 2 \pi]## and ##[-1,1]##, and the function ##\text{Sin(x)}##. There seems to be a surjection from ##(0, 2 \pi]## to ##[-1,1]##.

- By compactness theorem, this can't be true, since the former is not compact while the latter is.
How do we solve this problem?

I think the theorem you're talking about is that the image of a compact space under a continuous map is compact. This says nothing about when the domain is not compact. It is of course possible for a non-compact space to map surjectively onto a compact one. Take the constant function [itex](0,1)\to\{1\}[/itex] for a simpler example.

Likes davidge
Infrared said:
I think the theorem you're talking about is that the image of a compact space under a continuous map is compact.
Yes
Infrared said:
This says nothing about when the domain is not compact
Why not? Can you point out where I'm wrong in the following? Suppose ##X## is a non compact space and suppose we have a surjection ##f## from ##X## to another space ##Y##. Then

$$X = \bigcup_{i \in I} U_i = \bigcup_{i \in F \subset I} U_i \Longleftrightarrow F = I$$

Also, ##Y = f(X)##. That is, ##Y## is the image of ##X## under ##f##. But $$ f(X) = f \bigg(\bigcup_{i \in I} U_i \bigg) = f \bigg(\bigcup_{i \in F \subset I} U_i \bigg)$$ with ##F = I##, which means ##Y## is also not compact.