Proving one Differentiation results to another

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the derivative of (sin4x + cos4x) using mathematical induction and the nth derivative notation. The key steps involve differentiating the right hand side of the equation and proving the induction step.
Khayyam89

Homework Statement

I need in proving that the derivative (d[tex]^{n}[/tex]/dx[tex]^{n}[/tex])(sin4x + cos4x) = 4n-1 cos(4x + n[tex]\pi[/tex]/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand implicit differentiation in basic problems but I get stump with the n exponent in the differentiation symbol; am I suppose to treat it as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... etc derivative?
If that's so, how should I prove that the left equation equals the right one.

So far I got to: 4(cos3x - sin3x)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want you could try proving it by mathematical induction.

dn/dxn means the nth derivative

For the "induction step" you need to prove that IF
[tex]d^n 4(sin^4 x+ cos^4 x)= 4^{n-1} cos(4x+ n\pi/2)[/tex]
then
[tex]d^}{n+1} 4(sin^4 x+ cos^4 x)= 4^{n} cos(4x+ (n+1)\pi/2)[/tex]
You should be able to do that just by differentiating the right hand side of the first equationl.

Thank you, I understand now.

Related to Proving one Differentiation results to another

What is the purpose of proving one differentiation result to another?

The purpose of proving one differentiation result to another is to establish a connection or relationship between two different mathematical expressions or concepts. This can help in simplifying complex equations, solving problems, and gaining a deeper understanding of the fundamentals of differentiation.

What are the key steps in proving one differentiation result to another?

The key steps in proving one differentiation result to another include identifying the two expressions or concepts to be compared, setting up the proof by stating the given information and the goal to be proved, using the properties of differentiation and algebraic manipulation to transform one expression into the other, and providing a logical argument to support the transformation.

Can we use any differentiation rule to prove one result to another?

No, we cannot use any differentiation rule to prove one result to another. It is important to carefully select the appropriate differentiation rules based on the given expressions and the desired result. Using incorrect rules can lead to incorrect conclusions and invalid proofs.

How can we verify the validity of a proof for proving one differentiation result to another?

To verify the validity of a proof, we can check if each step in the proof follows logically from the previous step and if the given information and the goal to be proved are accurately represented. We can also try solving the problem using a different approach to see if we arrive at the same result.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving one differentiation result to another?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving one differentiation result to another include using incorrect differentiation rules, making careless errors in algebraic manipulation, and assuming the given information without logical justification. It is also important to double-check the final result to ensure it is equivalent to the desired result.