Proving Onto and 1-1 Properties of Function Compositions

In summary, the theorem states that if two functions are 1 - 1 correspondences, then the function between the two sets is also 1 - 1 correspondence.
JProgrammer
I am trying to prove this function theorem:

Let F:X→Y and G:Y→Z be functions. Then
a. If F and G are both 1 – 1 then G∘F is 1 – 1.
b. If F and G are both onto then G∘F is onto.
c. If F and G are both 1 – 1 correspondences then G∘F is a 1 – 1 correspondence.

Part a has already been proven, but I need to prove parts b and c. This is as far as I got on part b:Part b: If F is onto, then that means that each y has at least one x. If G is onto, then that each z has at least one y.

I do know that I need to prove b before c can be proven.

If someone could show me how b and c would be proven I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
JProgrammer said:
I am trying to prove this function theorem:

Let F:X→Y and G:Y→Z be functions. Then
a. If F and G are both 1 – 1 then G∘F is 1 – 1.
b. If F and G are both onto then G∘F is onto.
c. If F and G are both 1 – 1 correspondences then G∘F is a 1 – 1 correspondence.
Part b: If F is onto, then that means that each y has at least one x. If G is onto, then that each z has at least one y.
It is incorrect to say "each y has at least one x". Here $x$ and $y$ are elements of sets $X$, $Y$, $Z$. They can very well be numbers. What does it mean to say, for example, that 5 has 3?

The fact that $G\circ F$ is onto means, by definition, that for every $z\in Z$ there exists an $x\in X$ such that
\[
(G\circ F)(x)\overset{\text{def}}{=}G(F(x))=z.\qquad (*)
\]
Proofs of statements of the form "For every $z\in Z$..." start with the phrase "Fix an arbitrary $z\in Z$". We know that $G$ is onto, i.e., for each $z\in Z$ there exists a $y\in Y$ such that $G(y)=z$. Apply this fact to the $z$ we fixed. This gives us some $y\in Y$ such that $G(y)=z$. Now apply the fact that $F$ is onto to that $y$ and recall that our goal is (*).

Let z be any member of Z. Then, since G is onto, there exist y in Y such that G(y)= z. Further, since F is onto there exist ...

For (c), what is the definition of "1-1 correspondence"?

HallsofIvy said:
For (c), what is the definition of "1-1 correspondence"?
1 -1 correspondence means that the function is both 1 - 1 and onto.

JProgrammer said:
1 -1 correspondence means that the function is both 1 - 1 and onto.
Good! So once you have done (a) and (b), (c) follows immediately.

1. What is a function theorem?

A function theorem is a mathematical statement that describes the relationship between a function and its inputs and outputs. It is used to prove the existence or properties of a function.

2. How do you prove a function theorem?

To prove a function theorem, you must first define the function and its inputs and outputs. Then, you use mathematical logic and techniques such as induction, contradiction, or direct proof to show that the theorem holds true for all possible inputs and outputs.

3. What is the importance of proving a function theorem?

Proving a function theorem is important because it allows us to establish the validity of mathematical statements and make predictions based on the properties of a given function. It also provides a solid foundation for further mathematical research and applications.

4. What are some common types of function theorems?

Some common types of function theorems include the Intermediate Value Theorem, the Mean Value Theorem, the Extreme Value Theorem, and the Inverse Function Theorem. These theorems are frequently used in calculus and analysis to prove the existence and properties of functions.

5. Can a function theorem be disproven?

Yes, a function theorem can be disproven if a counterexample is found that contradicts the statement. This means that there exists at least one input and output pair that does not satisfy the theorem, thus proving it to be false. However, if a function theorem is proven to be true, it cannot be disproven.