Proving partial deviatives not continous

• Thread starter wowowo2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the conversation is about proving that the function fx(x,y) is not continuous at the point (0,0). The attempt at a solution involves finding the partial derivative of the function and taking the limit as x and y approach 0,0. However, the conclusion is that the partial derivative is actually continuous and there may be an error in the reasoning. Further help is requested to determine the mistake.
wowowo2006

Homework Statement

f(x,y) = y^2 + (x^3)*sin(1/x) when x =/= 0
= y^2 when x = 0

i want to prove fx(x,y) is not continuous at (0,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i found when x=/=0 , fx = 3(x^2)sin(1/x) - xcos(1/x) -----eq(1)
and limit(x,y -> 0,0) eq(1) = 0 as sin and cos is bounded
and the actual fx(0,0) = limit(h->0) (f(h,0)-f(0,0))/h = lim(h->0) (h^2)*sin(1/h) = 0
it seem limfx(0,0) = fx(0,0)
so i cannot conclude that fx is not continuous at (0,0)
where did i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
can someone offer help please?.

I think the partial derivative is actually continious. Graphing it shows it has no oscillation, which is a quantitative definition of continuity.

Related to Proving partial deviatives not continous

1. What does it mean for a partial derivative to not be continuous?

When a partial derivative is not continuous, it means that the function is not smooth and does not have a defined value at certain points. This can occur when there is a point of discontinuity or a sharp change in the function.

2. How is the continuity of a partial derivative determined?

The continuity of a partial derivative can be determined by taking the limit of the function as it approaches the point in question. If the limit exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point, then the partial derivative is continuous.

3. Why is it important to prove that partial derivatives are not continuous?

Proving that partial derivatives are not continuous is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at certain points. It can also help us identify points of discontinuity and understand how the function changes in those areas.

4. What are some common methods used to prove that partial derivatives are not continuous?

Some common methods used to prove that partial derivatives are not continuous include using the definition of continuity, taking the limit of the function, and using the Mean Value Theorem.

5. Can a function have partial derivatives that are not continuous at certain points but still be differentiable?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have partial derivatives that are not continuous at certain points but still be differentiable. This can occur when the function is continuous but has a sharp change or corner at a certain point, making the partial derivatives not continuous at that point.