Proving properties of the Dirac delta function

In summary, the Dirac delta function is a function that takes a negative value when x approaches 0. It can be proved to be equal to 0, and it can be proved to be the sum of two other functions.
"Don't panic!"
I've been thinking about the properties of the Dirac delta function recently, and having been trying to prove them. I'm not a pure mathematician but come from a physics background, so the following aren't rigorous to the extent of a full proof, but are they correct enough?

First I aim to prove that [itex] x\delta (x) =0[/itex]. Let [itex] f[/itex] be an arbitrary (integrable) function. Then, [tex] \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} (xf(x)) \delta (x) \; dx=0f(0)=0[/tex] where we have used the filtering property of [itex] \delta[/itex]-function. As [itex] f[/itex] was chosen arbitrarily we must conclude that [itex] x\delta (x) [/itex].

Next, I aim to prove that [itex] \delta (x^{2} - a^{2}) =\frac{1}{2 \vert a\vert} (\delta (x - a)+ \delta (x+a)) [/itex]. Consider the following, [tex] \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty}\delta (x^{2} - a^{2})f(x)\;dx[/tex] Now, let [itex] x=\sqrt{u} [/itex] then [itex] dx=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{u}} du[/itex] and so [tex]\int_{0} ^{\infty}\delta (x^{2} - a^{2})f(x)\;dx=\int_{0} ^{\infty}\delta (u - a^{2})\frac{f(\sqrt{u})} {2 \sqrt{u}} \;dx =\frac{f(\vert a\vert)} {2 \vert a\vert} [/tex] Similarly, let [itex] x=-\sqrt{u} [/itex] then [itex] dx=-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{u}} du[/itex] and so [tex]\int_{-\infty} ^{0}\delta (x^{2} - a^{2})f(x)\;dx=\int_{0} ^{\infty}\delta (u - a^{2})\frac{f(-\sqrt{u})} {2 \sqrt{u}} \;dx =\frac{f(-\vert a\vert)} {2 \vert a\vert} [/tex] and hence [tex]\int_{-\infty} ^{\infty}\delta (x^{2} - a^{2})f(x)\;dx=\int_{0} ^{\infty}\delta (x^{2} - a^{2})f(x)\;dx+\int_{-\infty} ^{0}\delta (x^{2} - a^{2})f(x)\;dx=\frac{f(\vert a\vert)} {2 \vert a\vert}+\frac{f(-\vert a\vert)} {2 \vert a\vert}\\ \qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\quad\;\;\;=\frac{1} {2\vert a\vert}(f(a)+f(-a))=\int_{-\infty} ^{\infty}\frac{1}{2 \vert a\vert} (\delta (x - a)+ \delta (x+a))f(x) \;dx[/tex] Thus implying that [itex] \delta (x^{2} - a^{2}) =\frac{1}{2 \vert a\vert} (\delta (x - a)+ \delta (x+a)) [/itex].

Would this be correct at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the statements about these integrals are in a sense what's rigorous about the delta function. To make them complete you would need to be precise about what test functions are used and whether the integrals written do converge, but as a handwavy proof this is fine I think : the calculations would be the same in a rigorous proof, with just extra care added to make sure no infinity is lurking.

wabbit said:
Yes, the statements about these integrals are in a sense what's rigorous about the delta function. To make them complete you would need to be precise about what test functions are used and whether the integrals written do converge, but as a handwavy proof this is fine I think : the calculations would be the same in a rigorous proof, with just extra care added to make sure no infinity is lurking.

Ok cool. As much as I would love to be able to prove them rigorously I don't think I have quite the level of mathematical training to do so, so I guess I'll have to settle for the formal (but non-rigorous) proof in my first post.

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is used to describe the concentration of a point mass at a specific location. It is defined as 0 for all values of x except at x=0, where it is infinitely large.

2. What is the significance of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function is significant in mathematics and physics as it allows for the representation of point sources and impulse functions in equations. It is also used in signal processing and probability theory.

3. How is the Dirac delta function used to prove properties?

The Dirac delta function is used to prove properties by integrating it with other functions and applying certain mathematical techniques such as substitution and the properties of the delta function itself. The result of the integration can then be used to prove a particular property.

4. Can the Dirac delta function be used to prove properties in multiple dimensions?

Yes, the Dirac delta function can be extended to multiple dimensions. In this case, it is represented as δ(x,y) or δ(x,y,z) for two or three dimensions, respectively. The same principles and techniques can be applied to prove properties in multiple dimensions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Dirac delta function to prove properties?

One limitation of using the Dirac delta function to prove properties is that it is an idealized function and does not have a physical representation. Therefore, its use may not always accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Additionally, it can be challenging to manipulate mathematically due to its infinite nature.