Proving that a propagator decays exponentially for spacelike separations

• Thread starter NanakiXIII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Propagator
In summary, the author is trying to show that the propagator for spacelike separation decays like e^{-m r} and they are stuck. The author hit a point where they needed to use the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma, but they were stuck because they were not familiar with Jordan's lemma. If you argue carefully and let a->inf., you will get the desired result.
NanakiXIII
I'm trying to show that the propagator for spacelike separation decays like [itex]e^{-m r}[/itex] and I'm stuck. At some point I hit the integral

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dk}{\sqrt{k^2 + m^2}} e^{i k r}.
[/tex]

Integration of complex functions not being my forte, I only managed to get to this point using provided answers, but I don't understand the next step. Apparently the above integral is equal to

[tex]
2 \int_0^{\infty} dy e^{-(y+m) r} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(y+m)^2 - m^2}},
[/tex]

where the substitution [itex]k = i(m+y)[/itex] has been made. Now there are several things I don't understand. Firstly, I see how the integrand has changed, but since the integrand is not an even function of [itex]k[/itex] or [itex]y[/itex], how is it possible to change the integration limits to [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]\infty[/itex]? Secondly, shouldn't the integration now be along the complex axis, i.e. shouldn't the upper limit be [itex]i \infty[/itex], due to the [itex]i[/itex] in the substitution? Finally, there is also a bit of text where the author says the integrand has a branch cut going from [itex]i m[/itex] to [itex]i \infty[/itex], and one has to fold the contour of the integral around this cut. I don't see what that cut has to do with anything whatsoever, or exactly what contour he is using.

Could someone help me along with this? I think I understand the rest of the derivation, this is the last link I need.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider Fa(k) = 1/sqrt(k^2 +m^2) for |k|<=a & 0 otherwise.
Applying the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma , the integral of exp(irk)Fa(k) =o(r) as r-> inf.
If you argue carefully & let a->inf. , you'll get the desired result.

I don't quite follow. I'm not familiar with this lemma, but it seems to say that the integral goes to 0 as [itex]r[/itex] goes to infinity, not to [itex]O(r)[/itex] (I'm assuming that's what you meant). Could you elaborate a little? This is not homework, I'm just trying to understand the author's derivation.

I figured it out. Thanks, though.

Eynstone said:
Consider Fa(k) = 1/sqrt(k^2 +m^2) for |k|<=a & 0 otherwise.
Applying the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma , the integral of exp(irk)Fa(k) =o(r) as r-> inf.
If you argue carefully & let a->inf. , you'll get the desired result.

Could you elaborate on this a little bit more?
Since the integral of NanakiXIII's question is the same as
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=420759

But, there is a problem to use Jordan's lemma.
To perform the integral along the keyhole contour, we need some regularization as weejee did in that series of post.

Related to Proving that a propagator decays exponentially for spacelike separations

1. What is a propagator in physics?

A propagator is a mathematical function used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one position to another over a specific period of time.

2. Why is it important to prove that a propagator decays exponentially for spacelike separations?

This proof is important because it helps to validate and refine our understanding of quantum field theory and the behavior of particles at different distances. It also has implications for the consistency and accuracy of our mathematical models.

3. How do scientists go about proving that a propagator decays exponentially for spacelike separations?

Scientists use mathematical methods and theories, such as quantum field theory and functional analysis, to analyze and manipulate the equations related to propagators. They also conduct experiments and observations to test the predictions made by these equations.

4. What evidence supports the exponential decay of propagators for spacelike separations?

Experimental data from particle accelerators, as well as observations of particle interactions in various contexts, provide strong evidence for the exponential decay of propagators for spacelike separations. Additionally, mathematical calculations and simulations based on quantum field theory also support this decay.

5. Are there any practical applications of this proof?

While the proof itself may not have direct practical applications, the underlying theories and principles used to prove it have significant real-world applications, such as in the development of technologies like quantum computing and in understanding the behavior of particles in extreme environments, like black holes.