Proving that an Integer lies between x and y using Set Theory

In summary: Can we assume ##\mathbb Q## is dense in ##\mathbb R##?Actually, I’m using this result to prove the density of ##\mathbb Q##.
Hall
Homework Statement
Show that there exits an integer between x and y if ##x, y \in R## and ##y-x \gt 1##.
Relevant Equations
Without Archimedean Property.
## y-x \gt 1 \implies y \gt 1+x##

Consider the set ##S## which is bounded by an integer ##m##, ## S= \{x+n : n\in N and x+n \lt m\}##.

Let's say ##Max {S} = x+n_0##, then we have
$$
x+n_0 \leq m \leq x+(n_0 +1)$$
We have,
$$
x +n_0 \leq m \leq (x+1) +n_0 \lt y+ n_0 $$
Thus,
##x+n_0 \leq m \lt y +n_0 ##
$$
x \leq m-n_0 \lt y$$
Since, m and n were integers, we have an integer between x and y.

As I didn't use Archimedean property, I'm a little doubtful if I'm correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
The argument is correct. For sufficiently large ##m##, the set ##S## is nonempty and what you say follows. Obviously, ##m\leqslant x+n_0+1## has to be true, because ..?

Use \max to obtain ##\max S## instead. Also ##S := \left \{x+n \mid n\in\mathbb N \ \text{and}\ x+n<m \right \} ##. When you press the Reply button to my post, you see the syntax I use.

Likes Hall and Delta2
Hmm, but the relative axiom we use here (one of the axioms on the set of real numbers) is that every bounded non empty set has supremum and infimum, not necessarily maximum and minimum.. How do we prove that the supremum of S is the maximum of S?

The Archimedean property is invoked for the set ##S##. More specifically, given ##x+1##, there exists ##m\in\mathbb N## such that ##x+1<m##. Hence, ##S\neq\emptyset##.

The completeness axiom is not necessary, because ##S## is finite.

Likes Delta2
nuuskur said:
The completeness axiom is not necessary, because S is finite.
How do we know that S is finite?

Delta2 said:
There are finite number of integers between any two real numbers, in our case the real numbers are ##x## and ##m##. Integers are not dense.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
nuuskur said:
The argument is correct. For sufficiently large ##m##, the set ##S## is nonempty and what you say follows. Obviously, ##m\leqslant x+n_0+1## has to be true, because ..?

Use \max to obtain ##\max S## instead. Also ##S := \left \{x+n \mid n\in\mathbb N \ \text{and}\ x+n<m \right \} ##. When you press the Reply button to my post, you see the syntax I use.
Yes, I can see the subtle point that choice of ##m## should be greater than ##x##, else the proof collapses down.

• Wow
Likes nuuskur
Delta2 said:
If ##x+1<m##, then there are finitely many ##n## for which ##x+n<m##.
Hall said:
Yes, I can see the subtle point that choice of ##m## should be greater than ##x##, else the proof collapses down.
My question is why ##x+n_0+1 \geqslant m## is necessarily true. How did we pick ##n_0##?

It seems to me that the answer depends on what we assume we already know about integers and real numbers.

E.g we could use the density of the rationals to explicity construct an integer between ##x## and ##y##.

Can we assume ##\mathbb Q## is dense in ##\mathbb R##?

nuuskur said:
If ##x+1<m##, then there are finitely many ##n## for which ##x+n<m##.
Suffices to apply the Archimedean property again to conclude this. It is required to accept that there are finitely many integers between any two integers, which is reasonable, I think.

Alternatively, one might assume ##S## is countable, but that means it's unbounded (this requires Archimedean property) and it leads to contradiction using the ordering-related axioms in ##\mathbb R##.

My preference would be to denote ##S := \{n\in\mathbb N \mid x+n <m\}## instead. For aesthetical reasons and also it's clear that ##S## can be at most countable.

Some comments regarding assumptions.
  1. Completeness implies density. Density implies Archimedean property (AP).
  2. AP and well-orderedness of ##\mathbb N## imply density of ##\mathbb Q## in ##\mathbb R##.
  3. AP is strictly weaker than completeness.
AP is sufficient to solve this problem.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
nuuskur said:
My question is why x+n0+1⩾m is necessarily true. How did we pick n0?
That’s how we designed the things. We said, ##x +n_0## is the last candidate (in the series ##x+n##, where ##n## is a natural number) which is less than ##m##, that surely implies the next candidate will be greater than ##m##.

Likes nuuskur and Delta2
PeroK said:
It seems to me that the answer depends on what we assume we already know about integers and real numbers.

E.g we could use the density of the rationals to explicity construct an integer between ##x## and ##y##.

Can we assume ##\mathbb Q## is dense in ##\mathbb R##?
Actually, I’m using this result to prove the density of ##\mathbb Q##.

I’m finding it a little tough to digest that in Real Analysis, we accept a complicated thing like Completeness axiom without a proof, yet doesn’t accept such an evident thing as the existence of an integer between two numbers which are off by more than 1.

• Love
Likes Delta2
Hall said:
Actually, I’m using this result to prove the density of ##\mathbb Q##.

I’m finding it a little tough to digest that in Real Analysis, we accept a complicated thing like Completeness axiom without a proof, yet doesn’t accept such an evident thing as the existence of an integer between two numbers which are off by more than 1.
Your first problem is to define what you mean by a Real Number. You can assume something intuitive like the number line. Or, you have a hard task to define the set of real numbers and proving their properties.

That's why my response was that a question like this all depends on your starting point.

For example, if we take the Real numbers to be the set of Cauchy sequences of rationals then the density of ##\mathbb Q## in ##\mathbb R## follows immediately.

PeroK said:
Your first problem is to define what you mean by a Real Number. You can assume something intuitive like the number line. Or, you have a hard task to define the set of real numbers and proving their properties.

That's why my response was that a question like this all depends on your starting point.

For example, if we take the Real numbers to be the set of Cauchy sequences of rationals then the density of ##\mathbb Q## in ##\mathbb R## follows immediately.
Yes, you got a valid point, the moment I said ##y## and ## x## were reals, “a snake lurked in” (I don’t if that expression even mean anything here).

• Haha
Likes Delta2
Hall said:
accept a complicated thing like Completeness axiom without a proof, yet doesn’t accept such an evident thing as the existence of an integer between two numbers which are off by more than 1.
Intuitively something might be evident. But it's not an axiom. Hence it needs to be proved using the axioms. In principle, you want your proof to assume as little as possible. In this case, assuming AP is enough. You also have to be careful of running in circles, i.e, if you're not sure whether you are using any consequence of the thing you are trying to prove, then don't use it.

In a complete ordered field like ##\mathbb R##, completeness is an axiom and needs not be proved.

Likes Delta2
nuuskur said:
Intuitively something might be evident. But it's not an axiom. Hence it needs to be proved using the axioms. In principle, you want your proof to assume as little as possible. In this case, assuming AP is enough. You also have to be careful of running in circles, i.e, if you're not sure whether you are using any consequence of the thing you are trying to prove, then don't use it.

In a complete ordered field like ##\mathbb R##, completeness is an axiom and needs not be proved.
Are you sure you need Completeness? It's true for the rationals and other dense subsets of ##\mathbb R##.

1. What is Set Theory?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a formal framework for understanding and manipulating these collections.

2. How can Set Theory be used to prove that an integer lies between two numbers?

In Set Theory, we can represent numbers as sets, and use set operations to manipulate them. To prove that an integer lies between two numbers, we can use the subset relation to show that the integer is contained within the set of numbers between the two given numbers.

3. What are the basic set operations used in Set Theory?

The basic set operations used in Set Theory are union, intersection, complement, and subset. Union combines two sets, intersection finds the common elements between two sets, complement finds the elements that are not in a set, and subset checks if one set is contained within another set.

4. Can Set Theory be applied to other areas of mathematics?

Yes, Set Theory is a fundamental concept that is used in many areas of mathematics, such as algebra, calculus, and topology. It provides a powerful tool for understanding and solving problems in these fields.

5. How does Set Theory relate to real-world applications?

Set Theory has many real-world applications, such as in computer science, where it is used to model data structures and algorithms. It is also used in statistics, economics, and other fields to represent and analyze data. Set Theory provides a rigorous and systematic approach to problem-solving that can be applied to various real-world scenarios.