Proving that Angular Moment is Conserved - Kepler's 2nd Law

In summary: You can use it to show that the change in angular momentum is zero, but not that it is conserved.In summary, Kepler's 2nd law of planetary motion states that the radius vector drawn from the Sun to any planet sweeps out equal areas in equal time intervals. By considering the small area swept out by the radius vector in time dt, it can be shown that \frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{L}{2m}, where L is angular momentum. This expression also proves that angular momentum is conserved in this situation, thus proving Kepler's 2nd law. However, it cannot be used to directly prove conservation of angular momentum.
BOAS

Homework Statement

Kepler’s 2nd law of planetary motion says that the radius vector drawn from the Sun to any planet sweeps out equal areas in equal time intervals. By considering the small area swept out by the radius vector in time dt, show that [itex]\frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{L}{2m}[/itex] , where L is angular momentum. Then show that the angular momentum is conserved for this situation, thus proving Kepler’s 2nd law.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec L = \vec r \times m \vec v[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This might be a little hard to follow without a diagram, but i'll do my best to label everything clearly.

The area of a sector is given by [itex]A = \frac{1}{2} r^{2} \theta[/itex], so the area swept out by the planet in time dt is given by [itex]\frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} r^{2} \frac{d \theta}{dt}[/itex].

The velocity of the planet perpendicular to the radius vector is [itex]v_{p} = v \sin \phi[/itex] where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between the radius and velocity vectors.

[itex]\frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} r v \sin \phi[/itex]

From the expression for the magnitude of the cross product [itex]rv \sin \phi = |\vec r \times \vec v|[/itex]
Therefore, we can say [itex]\frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{L}{2m}[/itex]. (after multiplying by a factor of 1/m).

I am confused by what it means to prove that angular momentum is conserved in this situation. I know how to prove that angular momentum is conserved for two bodies each exerting a force on one another, but I don't see the link to Kepler's second law.

Should I be understanding the 'situation' simply to mean a planet orbiting the sun, or can I use keplers second law to prove conservation of angular momentum?

This is a first year classical mechanics question, if that in any way affects how you'd respond.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
The area of a sector is given by [itex]A = \frac{1}{2} r^{2} \theta[/itex], so the area swept out by the planet in time dt is given by [itex]\frac{dA}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} r^{2} \frac{d \theta}{dt}[/itex].
What about changes in r?
I am confused by what it means to prove that angular momentum is conserved in this situation. I know how to prove that angular momentum is conserved for two bodies each exerting a force on one another, but I don't see the link to Kepler's second law.
Kepler's law follows from conservation of angular momentum and the equality you just derived.
Should I be understanding the 'situation' simply to mean a planet orbiting the sun, or can I use keplers second law to prove conservation of angular momentum?
That would be a circular argument.

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotation of an object around a fixed point. It is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

2. How is Angular Momentum Conserved?

According to Kepler's 2nd Law, angular momentum is conserved in a system where there is no external torque acting on the object. This means that the rotation of an object will remain constant unless an external force is applied.

3. Can Angular Momentum be Proven to be Conserved?

Yes, angular momentum can be proven to be conserved mathematically using the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This states that the initial angular momentum of a system will always equal the final angular momentum, as long as there is no external torque acting on the system.

4. How is Kepler's 2nd Law Related to Angular Momentum?

Kepler's 2nd Law states that the area swept out by a line connecting a planet to the sun is equal in equal time intervals. This is directly related to angular momentum, as the rate of change of angular momentum is equal to the force acting on the planet multiplied by the distance between the planet and the sun.

5. Why is it Important to Prove that Angular Momentum is Conserved?

Proving that angular momentum is conserved is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that helps us understand the behavior of rotating objects in space. It also has practical applications, such as in space missions and satellite orbits.