Proving that the total mechanical energy is conserved with time

In summary, the total mechanical energy of a system, represented by ##E(t)##, is constant with time. This is proven by taking the derivative of ##E(t)## and setting it equal to 0, which leads to the conclusion that ##-f(x(t)) = ma(t)## and the function ##f(x(t))##, which is equal to ##-V'(x(t))##, represents the force acting on the object in the system. This can also be proven using the work-energy theorem, which states that the change in kinetic energy (KE) and potential energy (PE) will always be equal, resulting in a net change of 0.
Hamiltonian
Homework Statement
Prove that Total mechanical Energy is conserved with time.
Relevant Equations
-
proof of energy being conserved with t.png

To prove: total mechanical energy is constant with time
where ##E(t)## is the total mechanical energy and ##V(x(t))## is the potential energy of the object-system.
$$E(t) = 1/2 mv^2 + V(x(t))$$

taking the the derivative of ##E(t)## with respect time should give 0.
in the third step in the attached file i don't understand why ##-f(x(t)) = ma(t)##
also what is the significance of the function ##f(x(t))## which is equal to ##-V'(x(t))##

my attempt to a solution:
taking an example of a spring and block system(even though its not very general but I thought I'd get the idea).
so i defined ##E = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2##
from this i got ##E' = v(ma + kx)##
I could not further simplify this.

also I think I was able to prove the above using the work energy theorem ##\Delta KE = -\Delta PE ## hence ##\Delta(KE + PE) = 0##
so what am missing and doing wrong in the above method stated by me.:oldconfused:

Physics news on Phys.org
It's called Newton's law, usually written as ##F = ma##

In your example ## F = - kx## for a spring.

Likes Steve4Physics
If you like, you can re-state their proof from a slightly different starting point; assuming the particle moves in some potential ##V(x)##, then$$m\ddot{x} = F_x = -V'(x)$$ $$m\ddot{x}\dot{x} = - V'(x) \dot{x}$$ $$\frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2 \right) = -\frac{d}{dt} V(x)$$ $$\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2 + V(x) \right) = 0 \implies \frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2 + V(x) = E = \text{constant}$$

Likes BvU, PeroK and Hamiltonian

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy in a system. Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion.

2. How is mechanical energy conserved?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In a closed system with no external forces, the total mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) will remain constant over time.

3. How do you prove that mechanical energy is conserved?

To prove that mechanical energy is conserved, you can perform experiments to measure the potential and kinetic energies at different points in time and see if their sum remains constant. This can also be shown mathematically by using the equations for potential and kinetic energy and showing that their sum remains constant.

4. What factors can affect the conservation of mechanical energy?

The conservation of mechanical energy can be affected by external forces acting on the system, such as friction or air resistance. These forces can cause a transfer of energy from potential to kinetic, resulting in a decrease in the total mechanical energy over time.

5. Why is it important to prove the conservation of mechanical energy?

Proving the conservation of mechanical energy is important because it is a fundamental principle in physics and helps us understand the behavior of systems. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the motion and energy of objects in various situations.