Proving the Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer

In summary: This is a infinite sum.(3) We can factor the expansion (1+x)^k as follows:(1+x)^k=\left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 1\\1 & x\\x & k\end{array}\right)The first and last terms on the left are finite and the middle term is infinite. This is because the binomial coefficient, ##(1+x)^k##, is the product of two terms that are finite and one term that is infinite.Therefore, the binomial series is not infinite. In summary, the binomial series expansion of 1
Adrenaline101
TL;DR Summary
What is the method to prove that a binomial series is not infinite when k is a non-negative integer.
Hello,

I was wondering how to prove that the Binomial Series is not infinite when k is a non-negative integer. I really don't understand how we can prove this. Do you have any examples that can show that there is a finite number when k is a non-negative integer?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean the series expansion of ##(1+x)^k##? Why should it be infinite?

Gaussian97 said:
Do you mean the series expansion of ##(1+x)^k##? Why should it be infinite?
Yes, I mean that expansion. I was wondering how to prove that this series expansion is finite when k i a non-negative integer, because eventually, if the value of k is non-negative, this binomial series's values will eventually be 0.
I just cannot find a written proof that allows me to understand why this is happening.

Shouldn't the fact that it is a finite degree polynomial be enough proof?

Adrenaline101 said:
Yes, I mean that expansion. I was wondering how to prove that this series expansion is finite when k i a non-negative integer, because eventually, if the value of k is non-negative, this binomial series's values will eventually be 0.
I just cannot find a written proof that allows me to understand why this is happening.
Any real analysis textbook should cover the convergence of power series. In general, a power series has a radius of convergence: e.g. for the binomial expansion:
$$(1 - x)^{-1} = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 \dots$$ converges for ##|x| < 1## and diverges otherwise.

Likes Delta2
Adrenaline101 said:
Summary:: What is the method to prove that a binomial series is not infinite when k is a non-negative integer.

Hello,

I was wondering how to prove that the Binomial Series is not infinite when k is a non-negative integer. I really don't understand how we can prove this. Do you have any examples that can show that there is a finite number when k is a non-negative integer?

Thank you!
You mean ##k## is a negative integer, right? When ##k## is a positive integer, the expansion has a finite number of terms.

Oh I see... Sorry, I was stuck on a particular idea, which is more simple in reality.
Thank you!

Let ##n ## be a non-negative integer. If ##n=0## then for ## a \neq 0, a^n=1##, If not, :

## (1 +x )^n = (1+x)(1+x)...(1+x) ## (n times) . The expression consists of a total of n expressions,each with two terms. If you want more rigor, do induction on n. If the expression ##(1+x(^k## is finite, so is ##(1+x)^{k+1} =(1+x)^k (1+x)## . If not, consider that the expanded expression consists of all monomials ## a_n x^n ## given by ## \Sigma_{i=0}^n nCi x^i ##, where nCi is "n Choose i" . This is a finite sum with (n+1) terms.

There's various way to do it:

(1) [itex](1 + x)^k[/itex] is a product of [itex]k[/itex] polynomials of degree 1, and is therefore a polynomial of degree [itex]k[/itex].

(2) We have [tex](1 + x)^\alpha = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n[/tex] where [tex]a_{n+1} = \frac{(\alpha - n)}{n+1}a_{n}[/tex] with [itex]a_0 = 1[/itex]. If [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a non-negative integer then [tex]a_{\alpha + 1} = \frac{(\alpha - \alpha)}{\alpha + 1}a_\alpha = 0[/tex] and thus [itex]a_n = 0[/itex] for all [itex]n > \alpha[/itex].

A compact way: [itex]
2^{n}=(1+1)^{n}=\int_{k=0}^{n}\begin{pmatrix}
k\\
n\\
\end{pmatrix}1^{k}\cdot 1^{n-k}=\int_{k=0}^{n}\begin{pmatrix}
k\\
n\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

1. What is the Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer?

The Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer is a mathematical formula used to expand a binomial expression raised to a non-negative integer power. It is commonly written as (a+b)^n, where a and b are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

2. How do you prove the Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer?

The Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer can be proved using mathematical induction. This involves showing that the formula holds true for the base case (n=0) and then assuming it holds true for n=k and using this assumption to prove it for n=k+1. This process is repeated until the formula is proven for all non-negative integers.

3. What are the applications of the Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer?

The Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer has many applications in mathematics and other fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve problems involving binomial coefficients, probability, and combinatorics. It is also used in the development of algorithms and in the study of polynomials.

4. Can the Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer be extended to negative integers?

No, the Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer is only valid for non-negative integer powers. For negative integer powers, the formula needs to be modified to include negative binomial coefficients.

5. How is the Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer related to Pascal's Triangle?

The coefficients in the Finite Binomial Series for k Non-Negative Integer can be found in Pascal's Triangle. The kth row of Pascal's Triangle corresponds to the coefficients of the binomial expansion for (a+b)^k. This relationship can be used to quickly find the coefficients for larger values of k.