Proving that a square of an odd integer is also odd

In summary, for any arbitrary odd x, x^2 is also odd because of the definition of an odd number and the fact that integers are closed under addition and multiplication. Another approach is to use the definition of a prime number.
hackedagainanda
Prove that for any arbitrary odd x, that x^2 is also odd.

By definition an odd number is an integer that can be written in the form of 2k + 1 for some integer k. This means that x = 2k + 1 where k is an integer

So let x^2 = (2k + 1)^2 we then get 4k^2 + 4k + 1 = 2(2k^2 + 2k) + 1, This is where I get lost, I understand that k is an integer but how does it follow that 2k^2 + 2k is an integer?

Physics news on Phys.org
The product of an integer and an integer is an integer.
The sum of an integer and an integer is an integer.

More formally, integers are closed under addition and multiplication.

Thanks! I totally overlooked that :eek:

hackedagainanda said:
Prove that for any arbitrary odd x, that x^2 is also odd.

By definition an odd number is an integer that can be written in the form of 2k + 1 for some integer k. This means that x = 2k + 1 where k is an integer

So let x^2 = (2k + 1)^2 we then get 4k^2 + 4k + 1 = 2(2k^2 + 2k) + 1, This is where I get lost, I understand that k is an integer but how does it follow that 2k^2 + 2k is an integer?
Another way is to use the fact that ##2## is a prime and then apply the definition of a prime.

1. How can you prove that a square of an odd integer is also odd?

The simplest way to prove this is by using the definition of an odd integer. An odd integer can be written as 2n+1, where n is any integer. When we square this, we get (2n+1)^2 = 4n^2 + 4n + 1. This can be rewritten as 2(2n^2+2n)+1, which is still in the form of an odd integer. Therefore, the square of an odd integer is also odd.

2. Can you provide a mathematical proof for this statement?

Yes, the proof for this statement is shown in the answer to the previous question. It uses the definition of an odd integer and algebraic manipulation to show that the square of an odd integer is still in the form of an odd integer.

3. Is this statement true for all odd integers?

Yes, this statement is true for all odd integers. It is a fundamental property of odd integers that can be proven mathematically.

4. Can you give an example to illustrate this statement?

Sure, let's take the odd integer 7. When we square it, we get 7^2 = 49. Since 49 can be written as 2(24)+1, it is still in the form of an odd integer. Therefore, the square of 7 is also odd.

5. Why is it important to prove this statement?

This statement is important because it helps us understand the properties of odd integers and their relationship with other numbers. It also has applications in various mathematical proofs and calculations.