Proving the Inequality: sin(x) < x for x > 0

In summary, the speaker wants to prove the inequality sin(x)<x for all x>0 and suggests using the function f(x)=x-sin(x) to show that it is increasing for all x>0. However, they realize that this alone does not prove the inequality and they cannot show that lim f(x) as x->0 is positive. Instead, they show that there is equality at x=0 and only at x=0, leading to the conclusion that sin(x)<=x for all x>=0 with equality only at x=0. The speaker also notes that this method may not be the most efficient way to prove the inequality.
nos
Hello all,

I want to prove the following inequality.
sin(x)<x for all x>0.

Now I figured that I put a function f(x)=x-sin(x), and show that it is increasing for all x>0. But this alone doesn't prove it. I need to show we have inequality from the start. I can't show that lim f(x) as x->0 is positive cause this limit equals 0. I can show that we have equality at x=0, and only at x=0. Therefore, sin(x) <=x for all x>=0, and we only have equality at x=0. So sin(x)<x for all x>0. This doesn't seem the right way to do it though.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nos said:
Hello all,

I want to prove the following inequality.
sin(x)<x for all x>0.

Now I figured that I put a function f(x)=x-sin(x), and show that it is increasing for all x>0. But this alone doesn't prove it. I need to show we have inequality from the start. I can't show that lim f(x) as x->0 is positive cause this limit equals 0. I can show that we have equality at x=0, and only at x=0. Therefore, sin(x) <=x for all x>=0, and we only have equality at x=0. So sin(x)<x for all x>0. This doesn't seem the right way to do it though.

No, you are correct: [itex]x - \sin x[/itex] is zero at x = 0 and is thereafter strictly increasing, so [itex]x - \sin x[/itex] can't be zero or negative for [itex]x > 0[/itex].

You can visualize it comparing the graphs of ## y(x)=x## and ##y(x)=\sin{(x)}##

Hint: sin(0) = 0, and 0 < d(sin(x))/dx < 1 for 0 < x <= π/2 (why?).

Related to Proving the Inequality: sin(x) < x for x > 0

1. What is the proof that sin x is always less than x for all positive values of x?

The proof is based on the fact that the sine function is defined as the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. Since the hypotenuse is always longer than the opposite side, the sine of any angle will always be less than the measure of the angle itself. This applies to all values of x, including positive values.

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate this proof?

Yes, for example, let's take x = 1 radian. The sine of 1 radian is approximately 0.84147, while 1 radian itself is equal to 1. Therefore, sin 1 < 1. This can also be seen on the unit circle, where the length of the arc corresponding to 1 radian is longer than the vertical distance from the origin to the point on the circle, which represents the sine of 1 radian.

3. What is the significance of this proof?

This proof is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between the sine function and the angle it represents. It also allows us to make more accurate approximations and calculations when dealing with trigonometric functions.

4. Does this proof only apply to positive values of x?

Yes, this proof only applies to positive values of x. For negative values of x, the inequality is reversed, meaning that sin x > x. This can also be observed on the unit circle, where the length of the arc corresponding to a negative angle is shorter than the vertical distance from the origin to the point on the circle.

5. Are there any exceptions to this proof?

No, there are no exceptions to this proof. It holds true for all positive values of x, regardless of how large or small the value may be. However, it is important to note that this proof only applies to real numbers and may not hold true for complex numbers.