Proving the Irrationality of $\sqrt{3}$

• MHB
  • Thread starter paulmdrdo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, the proof that $\sqrt{3}$ is irrational is based on showing that in that case $p$ and $q$ must both be even. However, the reason that even numbers are important in that proof is that an even number is a multiple of $2$. If you go back to that proof and substitute "multiple of $2$" every time you see the word "even", then you will have a better idea of how to do the proof for $\sqrt3$. All you will have to do is to replace "multiple of $2$" by "multiple of $3$". The proof for $\sqrt3$ should not involve the word "even" at all. What really matters (
paulmdrdo1
prove that $\sqrt{3}$ is irrational.

this is what I tried

$\sqrt{3}=\frac{p}{q}$ whee p and q are integers in lowest terms. common factor of +\-1 only.

squaring both sides

$\frac{p^2}{q^2}=3$

$p^2=3q^2$ assuming that $3q^2$ is even then $p^2$ is even hence p is also even.

$(3k)^2=3q^2$ where is k is an even integer.

then,

$q^2=3k^2$ q is also even

if p and q is even they have common factor of 3, thus contradicting the assumption that they have no common factor except +\-1. hence $\sqrt{3}$ is irrational.

is my proof correct? if it's not, can you show me the correct proof of this.

thanks!(Talking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
prove that $\sqrt{3}$ is irrational.

this is what I tried

$\sqrt{3}=\frac{p}{q}$ whee p and q are integers in lowest terms. common factor of +\-1 only.

squaring both sides

$\frac{p^2}{q^2}=3$

$p^2=3q^2$ assuming that $3q^2$ is even then $p^2$ is even hence p is also even.

$(3k)^2=3q^2$ where is k is an even integer.

then,

$q^2=3k^2$ q is also even

if p and q is even they have common factor of 3, thus contradicting the assumption that they have no common factor except +\-1. hence $\sqrt{3}$ is irrational.

is my proof correct? if it's not, can you show me the correct proof of this.

thanks!(Talking)
You have the right idea, but it is buried in a layer of confusion surrounding the word "even". You are obviously trying to model your proof on the standard proof that $\sqrt2$ is irrational. The proof for $\sqrt2$ is based on showing that in that case $p$ and $q$ must both be even. But the reason that even numbers are important in that proof is that an even number is a multiple of $2$. If you go back to that proof and substitute "multiple of $2$" every time you see the word "even", then you will have a better idea of how to do the proof for $\sqrt3$. All you will have to do is to replace "multiple of $2$" by "multiple of $3$". The proof for $\sqrt3$ should not involve the word "even" at all. What really matters (as you have realized towards the end of your argument) is that $p$ and $q$ must both be multiples of $3$. If you focus your argument entirely on that, and leave out all references to numbers being even, then you will have a good proof of this result.

It would also be a good idea to prove that the square of number is only a multiple of three if the number was a multiple of three.

This would be easiest to prove using the contrapositive, which is "if the number is not a multiple of three, then the square is not a multiple of three".

So if we have integers p and k such that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} p = 3k + 1 \end{align*}$ then

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} p^2 &= \left( 3k + 1 \right) ^2 \\ &= 3k^2 + 6k + 1 \\ &= 3 \left( k^2 + 2k \right) + 1 \end{align*}$

which is not a multiple of three. Also if p and k were integers such that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} p = 3k + 2 \end{align*}$, then

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} p^2 &= \left( 3k + 2 \right) ^2 \\ &= 9k^2 + 12k + 4 \\ &= 9k^2 + 12k + 3 + 1 \\ &= 3 \left( 3k^2 + 4k + 1 \right) + 1 \end{align*}$

which is also not a multiple of three.

Therefore if the square of a number was a multiple of three, the original number had to have been a multiple of three. Q.E.D.

A lesser known form of proof runs as follows:

If $n$ is a natural number, and $\sqrt{n} \in \Bbb Q$, then $\sqrt{n} \in \Bbb Z$.

You may want to reflect a bit on why this is so, because it is NOT obvious. I suggest approaching this problem like so:

Suppose $n = \dfrac{a^2}{b^2}$, and that $p$ is a prime for which $p^k|b$ but $p^{k+1}\not\mid b$. Show that $p^k|a$, and thus conclude $b|a$.

So in looking for square root(s) of 3, we need only consider $\{-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3\}$, which we can test individually.

In particular, any square-free positive integer must have an irrational square root (this is a powerful result, as it handles MANY cases "all at once").

This is my second attemp

squaring both sides

$\frac{p^2}{q^2}=3$

$p^2=3q^2$ since $3q^2$ is a multiple of 3 p must also be a multiple of 3.

now I have,

$(3k)^2=3q^2$

then,

$q^2=3k^2$ $q^2$ is also a multiple of 3.

but if p and q is even they have common factor of 3, thus contradicting the assumption that they have no common factor except +\-1. hence $\sqrt{3}$ is irrational.

is this now correct?

thanks!(Talking)

1. What is the definition of an irrational number?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be written as a simple fraction and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimal places.

2. Why is proving sqrt{3} irrational important?

Proving that sqrt{3} is irrational is important because it helps to establish the properties of irrational numbers and their relationship to rational numbers. It also serves as a foundation for other proofs involving irrational numbers.

3. How can I prove that sqrt{3} is irrational?

The most common and simplest proof is by contradiction. Assume that sqrt{3} is rational and can be expressed as a/b, where a and b are integers. Then, square both sides of the equation and show that this leads to a contradiction. Since sqrt{3} cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, it must be irrational.

4. Can you provide an example of a proof for sqrt{3} being irrational?

Sure, here is a simple proof by contradiction: Assume that sqrt{3} is rational and can be expressed as a/b, where a and b are integers. Then, a^2/b^2 = 3. This means that a^2 is divisible by 3, which implies that a is also divisible by 3. Let a = 3k, where k is an integer. Substituting this into the original equation, we get (3k)^2/b^2 = 3, which simplifies to 3k^2/b^2 = 1. This means that b^2 is also divisible by 3, which contradicts our initial assumption that a/b is in its simplest form. Therefore, sqrt{3} must be irrational.

5. Are there any other methods for proving sqrt{3} is irrational?

Yes, there are various other methods such as the Euclidean algorithm, the continued fraction expansion method, and the use of modular arithmetic. However, the proof by contradiction is the most commonly used and simplest method for proving the irrationality of sqrt{3}.