Proving the results for the trace of a matrix

In summary, there is confusion about the solution presented for a problem, particularly regarding the use of Newton's identity and the meaning behind the highlighted parts in pink and orange. The conversation also includes a helpful link for further clarification.
PainterGuy
Homework Statement
Verifying the trace problem.
Relevant Equations
Please check my work.
Hi,

I was trying to do the following problem. I was able to do the part in pink highlight (please check "My attempt") but the part in orange highlight makes no sense to me. I'd really appreciate if you could help me to solve the part in orange. Thank you!

1616673111083.png
My attempt:

1616673125106.png
The solution presented below doesn't make much sense to me either.

I do not understand the writing for step in green highlight below. I interpret it as shown below. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
1616673240667.png

Also I do not understand the reason for using Newton's identity and how it works in this case.

1616673458373.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What theorem are you trying to prove?

It looks to me as though all of the pink and blue bits are definitions rather than theorems, except for the last line of the pink part and the second equality in each line of the pink part.
Since the second equality in each pink row follows easily from the first equality (the "definition" part of the row), we are left with the last row of the pink part as the theorem you have to prove.
If so, why have you coloured that last row pink, if pink indicates the parts you have managed to prove?

What do you mean by "the orange part makes no sense to me"? It just gives definitions for the scalars ##\alpha_1, ..., \alpha_n##. For it to make sense, all you need is to understand the meaning of the RHS of each of those equalities, which I infer from your post above that you already do.

I have not worked through the above in detail, and have not seen Newton's identity before, but I can correct your interpretation of the green bit. The LHS is a capital Lambda, and RHS entries are lower case lambdas. So the the equation is:
$$\Lambda_k = \sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i{}^k,\quad\quad\quad\quad k\in\mathbb N$$
This is another definition, defining ##\Lambda_k##, which differs from ##\lambda_k##.

Likes PainterGuy
andrewkirk said:
It looks to me as though all of the pink and blue bits are definitions rather than theorems

Thank you but which ones are the blue bits? I don't think there are any blue bits. Could you please clarify?

Sorry I meant orange rather than blue. I sometimes get my colours mixed up!

Likes PainterGuy
Last edited:

1. What is the trace of a matrix?

The trace of a matrix is the sum of its diagonal elements. It is denoted by tr(A) or tr(AT) and is a scalar value.

2. Why is proving the results for the trace of a matrix important?

Proving the results for the trace of a matrix is important because it helps us understand the properties of matrices and their operations, which are essential in many fields of science and mathematics.

3. How do you prove the results for the trace of a matrix?

The results for the trace of a matrix can be proved using various methods such as mathematical induction, properties of matrices, and algebraic manipulations. It ultimately depends on the specific result that needs to be proved.

4. Can the trace of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the trace of a matrix can be negative if the sum of its diagonal elements is negative. However, the trace is usually considered as a positive value.

5. What are some applications of the trace of a matrix?

The trace of a matrix has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used in calculating the moment of inertia in physics, finding the eigenvalues of a matrix, and determining the similarity between two matrices.