Reducing an algebraic fraction, cyclic in three variables, to another

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and the attempt to solve it using Autodesk Sketchbook. The problem is solved using clumsy algebra and brute force, but someone is looking for hints on a more elegant approach. The solution involves writing the numerator in a different form and simplifying it to equal abc.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
If ##2s = a+b+c##, prove that $$\boxed{\pmb{\frac{1}{s-a}+\frac{1}{s-b}+\frac{1}{s-c}-\frac{1}{s}=\frac{abc}{s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}}}$$
Relevant Equations
I don't know if the following three formulae will be useful, all equivalent to one another and written out in different forms.
1. ##ab(a-b)+bc(b-c)+ca(c-a) = -(a-b)(b-c)(c-a)##
2. ##a^2(b-c)+b^2(c-a)+c^2(a-b)=-(a-b)(b-c)(c-a)##
3. ##a(b^2-c^2)+b(c^2-a^2)+c(a^2-b^2)= (a-b)(b-c)(c-a)##
1639486398865.png

Problem :
Let me copy and paste the problem statement as it appears in the text, as shown above.

Attempt : I can sense there is an "elegant" way of doing this, but I don't know how. I show below my attempt using ##\text{Autodesk Sketchbook}##. I hope am not violating anything.

1639489036427.png

Ok so I have got the answer, with clumsy algebra and using brute force.Does someone have hints to an elegant approach?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
You can write the numerator as [tex]
\begin{split}
(s-a)(s-b)(s-(s-c)) + s(s-c)((s - a) + (s - b))
&= c(s-a)(s-b) + s(s-c)(2s - a - b) \\
&= c(s-a)(s-b) + sc(s-c) \\
&= c(2s^2 - (a + b + c)s + ab) \\
&= c(2s^2 - 2s^2 + ab) \\
&= abc.
\end{split}[/tex]

• Love
Likes Delta2 and docnet

1. What is an algebraic fraction?

An algebraic fraction is a mathematical expression that contains both a numerator and a denominator, which are made up of algebraic terms (such as variables, constants, and operations). It can also be referred to as a rational expression.

2. What does it mean for an algebraic fraction to be cyclic in three variables?

A cyclic algebraic fraction is one where the variables appear in a specific order, such as x, y, and z, and this order is repeated throughout the expression. This means that the fraction can be simplified using cyclic properties, where the variables can be rearranged in a specific way to make the expression simpler.

3. Why would you want to reduce an algebraic fraction?

Reducing an algebraic fraction can make it easier to work with and solve. It can also help to simplify the expression and make it more manageable. In some cases, reducing the fraction can also reveal patterns or relationships between the variables.

4. How do you reduce a cyclic algebraic fraction in three variables?

To reduce a cyclic algebraic fraction, you can use the cyclic properties to rearrange the variables in a specific order. Then, you can factor out common terms and simplify the expression. This process may need to be repeated multiple times until the fraction is fully reduced.

5. Are there any limitations to reducing a cyclic algebraic fraction?

Yes, there are limitations to reducing a cyclic algebraic fraction. The fraction must be cyclic in three variables and follow a specific order for the cyclic properties to be applicable. Additionally, the variables in the expression must be able to be rearranged and factored in order for the fraction to be reduced.