Proving Theorem 1 in Spivak's Calculus: Tips & Tricks

In summary, the problem is that the student is struggling to understand the proof and is missing the intuition behind the two choices that the author makes.
Simpl0S
Hello

I am struggling with proving theorem 1, pages 98-99, in Spivak's Calculus book: "A function f cannot approach two different limits near a."

I understand the fact that this theorem is correct. I can easily convince myself by drawing a function in a coordinate system and trying to find two different limits at a given x coordinate and it will not work.

But when proving the theorem I fail to see the notion behind two choices that Spivak made in proving this theorem:

(i) he chooses delta = min(d1, d2), and
(ii) he chooses epsilon = |L - M| / 2

I understand the structure of the proof, which is a proof by contradicting the assumption that L unequal M. But I am stuck at the above two mentioned choices of delta and epsilon.

I apologize sincerely for not using Latex symbols and notation and for not posting pictures of the text, but atm I am on my smartphone and do not have access to a computer.

Any reference/help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I downloaded the PF app. And I noticed that one can use it to upload pictures.

The problem and part 1 of the proof:

IMG_1473781452.714081.jpg

Part 2 of the proof:

IMG_1473781498.193049.jpg

In terms of choosing epsilon to be half the difference between the limits:

Eventually the function must get within epsilon of both limits. But it can't be less than half the distance from them both at the same time.

if you and a friend stand 1m apart. No one can stand within 0.5m of you both at the same time.

Now that you put it in terms of distance it makes sense. But how does one develop the intuition to "see" what value for a variable one should choose when proving theorems?

I figured the delta part out:

Since the definition of a limit states, that "for all epsilon > 0, there is some delta > 0,..." It means that if we have the two deltas above mentioned one can always choose a smaller one, thus by taking the min(d1, d2) makes also sense.

Thank you for your reply!

I guess a lot of people see the epsilon- delta definition as mysterious, but it always seemed to me a fairly logical way of formalising the geometric behavior of a continuous function.

Take a fresh look at it from that perspective perhaps.

1. What is Theorem 1 in Spivak's Calculus?

Theorem 1 in Spivak's Calculus is a fundamental theorem that states the existence of a unique number called the limit of a function at a given point. It is a key concept in calculus and is used to solve various mathematical problems.

2. Why is it important to prove Theorem 1 in Spivak's Calculus?

Proving Theorem 1 is essential because it forms the foundation for many other theorems and concepts in calculus. It helps us understand the behavior of functions and their limits, which is crucial in solving real-world problems related to rates of change and optimization.

3. What are some tips for proving Theorem 1 in Spivak's Calculus?

Some tips for proving Theorem 1 include understanding the definition of a limit, using the epsilon-delta method, breaking the proof into smaller steps, and practicing with different functions. It is also helpful to draw a graph of the function to visualize the concept.

4. Can Theorem 1 be proved using other methods besides the epsilon-delta approach?

Yes, Theorem 1 can be proved using other methods such as the squeeze theorem, the limit laws, or the sequential criterion for limits. However, the epsilon-delta approach is the most commonly used and is considered the most rigorous method of proof.

5. How can I apply Theorem 1 in solving calculus problems?

Theorem 1 can be used to evaluate limits of functions, determine continuity of functions, and prove other theorems in calculus. It is also used in finding derivatives and integrals of functions. Understanding and applying Theorem 1 is crucial in mastering calculus and its applications in various fields.