Proving Triangle Inequality: How to Justify Your Work | Homework Tips

• Thread starter lovemake1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about justifying a proof for the inequality la - bl <= lal + lbl. The process of the proof involves looking at specific cases and using properties of absolute values and inequalities to derive the final result. The justification for each step is based on the properties of inequalities and absolute values.
lovemake1

Homework Statement

la - bl <= lal + lbl

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have prooved this triangle inequality. but please check if there are any obvious errors.

-2ab <= 2labl
a^2 - 2ab + b^2 <= a^2 + 2labl + b^2
( la - bl)^2 <= (lal + lbl)^2

*sqrt both sides
la - bl <= lal + lbl

The problem is now that i have somewhat prooved this inequality, how do i justify it?
In an assignment or on a test I need to write the process of my work.
How would i go aobut justifying this proof?

Heres my shot at it:

ab <= l ab l is true for all real numbers
therefore -2ab <= 2l ab l is the same case.

add a^2, b^2 to both sides and squareroot it.
lal >= a
lbl >= b
therefore lal + lbl >= la - bl

I don't feel very comfortable justifying inequalities, let alone I am not very good at it.
are there any ways to justify without feeling too awkard? some keywords i need to be using?
please help, i want to learn more

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have "proved" it then that is a "justification"?

Are you asking how to justify each step?

You first say that [itex]-2ab\le |2ab|[/itex].
Justify that by looking at cases. If [itex]ab\le 0[/itex] then the two sides are equal. If [itex]ab> 0[/itex] then the left side is negative and the right side is positive.

Next you have [itex]a^2- 2ab+ b^2\le a^2+ |2ab|+ b^2[/itex] which is true because you have added the same thing to both sides of the inequality.

Next, [itex](a- b)^2\le (|a|+ |b|)^2[/itex]
Okay, the left side is exactly the same as the left side in the previous inequality but I would recommend adding something to the previous inequality:
[itex]a^2- 2ab+ b^2\le a^2+ |2ab|+ b^2= |a|^2+ 2|a||b|+ |b|^2[/itex]
That last equality is true because [itex]x^2= |x|^2[/itex] for any real number and |xy|= |x||y| for any real numbers.

Finally, from [itex](a- b)^2\le (|a|+ |b|)^2[/itex]
you derive [itex]|a- b|\le |a|+ |b|[/itex].

That is true because if x and y are positive numbers and x> y, then x= y+ a for some positive a so [itex]x^2= y^2+ 2ay+ a^2[/itex] so that [itex]x^2[/itex] is equal to [itex]y^2[/itex] plus some positive number.

Yes, that is a perfectly valid proof.

1. What is the triangle inequality theorem?

The triangle inequality theorem states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side.

2. Why is it important to prove the triangle inequality theorem?

Proving the triangle inequality theorem is important because it is a fundamental concept in geometry and is used in various mathematical and scientific applications.

3. How can I prove the triangle inequality theorem?

There are multiple ways to prove the triangle inequality theorem, but the most common method is to use the properties of inequalities and the properties of triangles, such as the Pythagorean theorem and the triangle sum theorem.

4. What are some tips for proving the triangle inequality theorem?

Some tips for proving the triangle inequality theorem include drawing accurate diagrams, labeling all given information, and using the given properties and theorems to logically justify each step of the proof.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the triangle inequality theorem?

Yes, the triangle inequality theorem is used in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics, where the concept of triangles and their properties are essential in designing and constructing structures and analyzing forces and motion.