Proving vector identities with index notation (help with the del operator)

In summary, the conversation involves proving the vector identity \left(a\times\nabla\right)\bullet\left(u \times v\right)=\left(a \bullet u \right)\left(\nabla \bullet v \right)+\left(v \bullet \nabla \right)\left(a \bullet u \right)-\left(a \bullet v \right)\left(\nabla \bullet u \right)-\left(u \bullet\nabla\right)\left(a \bullet v \right) where a, u, and v are vectors and a is a constant vector. The conversation discusses using index notation and the product rule to prove the identity, with a focus on the order of operations
ShearStress

Homework Statement

Prove the vector identity: [tex]\left(a\times\nabla\right)\bullet\left(u \times v\right)=\left(a \bullet u \right)\left(\nabla \bullet v \right)+\left(v \bullet \nabla \right)\left(a \bullet u \right)-\left(a \bullet v \right)\left(\nabla \bullet u \right)-\left(u \bullet\nabla\right)\left(a \bullet v \right)[/tex]
Where a, u, and v are vectors (and a is a "constant vector")

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so in index notation I've gotten the left-hand side as...
[tex]LHS=a_{l}u^{l}\partial_{m}v^{m}-a_{m}v^{m}\partial_{l}u^{l}[/tex]

Which, since the dot product on the RHS is commutative, it seems that the RHS is just twice the LHS I've come up with in index notation. What am I missing here? Is there some weird property of the del operator in index notation that I can just double the terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your calculation for the LHS, but [itex]\nabla \cdot v \neq v \cdot \nabla[/itex]. So you can't just add them together,

Okay well then it seems I'm even more thoroughly confused than I originally thought. I still think I have the LHS correct but I'm not entirely sure about using the gradient/del in index notation. Does it matter if you move it around within the term? Such as, are the following terms equivalent:
[tex]a_{l}\partial_{m}u^{l}v^{m}=a_{l}u^{l}\partial_{m}v^{m}[/tex] ? Or does the order you write the stuff in matter when the del operator is involved?

I think what has really confused me is when you have a dot product with a del operator on the outside, that somehow results in one of the vectors times the partial derivative of the other plus the other vector times the partial derivative of the other. Help?

Keep in mind that [itex]\partial_m[/itex] is a differential operator, and so order of operations and brackets are important. For example, [itex]\partial_m\left[f(x_1,x_2,x_3)g(x_1,x_2,x_3)\right]=(\partial_m f)g+f(\partial_m g)[/itex].

Don't let the indices get to you it is just the product rule. Also keep in mind that the exercise states that a is a constant vector. Without that fact you won't be able to prove the identity.

If you did everything correctly you get [itex]a_m\partial_n(u_mv_n)-a_n \partial_m(u_mv_n)[/itex] before using the product rule on the LHS.

Related to Proving vector identities with index notation (help with the del operator)

1. How do I use the del operator in vector identities?

The del operator, represented by ∇, is used to calculate derivatives in vector calculus. To use it in vector identities, you can apply it to each term in the identity and then manipulate the resulting expressions using algebraic rules.

2. What is the significance of index notation in proving vector identities?

Index notation, also known as Einstein notation, is a shorthand way of writing vector equations using indices to represent the components of vectors and matrices. It allows for easier manipulation of vector expressions and makes it easier to prove vector identities using the del operator.

3. Do I need to know calculus to prove vector identities with the del operator?

Yes, a basic understanding of calculus is necessary to prove vector identities using the del operator. This includes knowledge of derivatives, partial derivatives, and the chain rule.

4. Can I use the del operator to prove any vector identity?

No, the del operator can only be used to prove certain vector identities that involve derivatives. It cannot be used to prove identities that do not involve derivatives or those that involve other operations, such as dot or cross products.

5. Are there any tips for proving vector identities with the del operator?

One helpful tip is to carefully apply the del operator to each term in the identity and then simplify the resulting expressions using algebraic rules. It can also be helpful to use substitution or other algebraic techniques to manipulate the expressions and reach the desired result.