PSA Dont scale a cliff while on a hike

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scale
In summary, the hiker attempted to scale a vertical wall with his trusty helicopter as backup, but was unsuccessful and ended up being rescued by the mountain rescue team.
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if he got charged for the cost of that rescue. There are some places where you get charged if it is determined that you should have known better and not done what you did (or went hiking in a closed area, for example)...

Likes russ_watters, Astronuc and BillTre
berkeman said:
I wonder if he got charged for the cost of that rescue. There are some places where you get charged if it is determined that you should have known better and not done what you did (or went hiking in a closed area, for example)...
Society's little tax on the stupid.

Likes russ_watters
berkeman said:
My Alps trip this year ended when I got hit on the ankle by a falling rock and I had to call for the rescue helicopter (first time ever). It cost CHF 4,500 (regardless of circumstances) - although that was covered by my mountain rescue insurance. Nothing is cheap in Switzerland.

Likes russ_watters
I was climbing the Dreieselwand, which is the snow face on the Lenzspitze when a rock came out of nowhere (I didn't even see it) and thumped me on the left ankle. I got to the summit, but the only way off is to climb the ridge on the right. I got as far as the summit of the Nadelhorn climbing on one foot and one knee by the end (actually not as hard as you'd think), but my ankle was so painful by then, that I decided not to risk the descent and aggravating the injury any further.

Lenzspitze Nadelhorn 3.jpg

• Wow
Likes Astronuc, Keith_McClary, BillTre and 2 others
Hike a mountain - for the faint of heart.
Use a bicycle.

Riding the white line

• Wow
Likes jedishrfu, Astronuc and PeroK

1. What are the potential dangers of scaling a cliff while on a hike?

Scaling a cliff while on a hike can be extremely dangerous and can lead to serious injuries or even death. It is important to understand that cliffs are unstable and can have loose rocks or unstable ledges, making them unsafe for climbing. Additionally, the risk of falling from a great height is very high and can result in serious injuries.

2. Can anyone scale a cliff while on a hike?

No, scaling a cliff while on a hike should only be attempted by experienced and trained climbers with proper equipment. It requires a certain level of strength, skill, and knowledge to navigate safely and avoid potential hazards. It is not recommended for beginners or inexperienced hikers.

3. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken before attempting to scale a cliff while on a hike?

Yes, it is important to always wear appropriate gear and safety equipment, such as a helmet and harness, when attempting to scale a cliff. It is also crucial to assess the route and the condition of the cliff before attempting to climb, and to have a plan in case of an emergency. It is also recommended to have a partner or a guide with you for added safety.

4. What should I do if I encounter a cliff while on a hike?

If you come across a cliff while on a hike, it is important to not attempt to scale it unless you are an experienced and trained climber. Instead, try to find an alternative route or turn back and find a different trail. It is always better to err on the side of caution and prioritize your safety.

5. Is it ever safe to scale a cliff while on a hike?

In general, it is not recommended to scale a cliff while on a hike. However, if you are an experienced and trained climber and have the appropriate gear and safety precautions in place, it may be safe to do so. It is important to always assess the risks and make an informed decision before attempting to climb a cliff while on a hike.