Pulley and Pins on a Frame (beginner statics)

In summary: If we treat the straight sections of rope and the forces they exert as all separate then the two pieces touching a pulley exert a net force which passes through the centre of the pulley. The magnitudes, directions and lines of action are independent of the pulley radius, and we can notionally shrink them all to zero.In summary, the problem statement asks for a solution to a problem in which different forces are exerted on different parts of a frame. The problem is solved by assuming that the forces exerted on the straight sections of rope are all independent and that the forces exerted on the two pieces touching a pulley are also independent.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-4_17-23-59.png

Homework Equations

***i posted the questions and my free body diagrams below

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi. I'm trying to analyze this structure particularly at points C and B.

when drawing the free body diagram, i notice there would be pin forces on C as well as B. Also, there are the tension forces from the rope.

Am i suppose to draw all these out? How would i show the reaction forces on the other free body diagram. Would i write the reaction forces of the pin forces as well as the tension forces?

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-4_17-23-59.png
    upload_2018-5-4_17-23-59.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 3,298
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HI, I see a nice picture but no problem statement ! "analyze" is more like a mission statement than a problem statement :rolleyes: . Any givens ? Pulley radii ?
lc99 said:
Am I supposed to draw all these out?
I can't read the exercise composer's mind from here.
lc99 said:
How would i show the reaction forces on the other free body diagram
What other diagram ? I don't even see the one, let alone the other !

BvU said:
HI, I see a nice picture but no problem statement ! "analyze" is more like a mission statement than a problem statement :rolleyes: . Any givens ? Pulley radii ?
I can't read the exercise composer's mind from here.
What other diagram ? I don't even see the one, let alone the other !
Oops. I left out the important stuff!
upload_2018-5-4_17-58-16.png

The question wants me to find reaction forces at supports D and A
What i mean was how i would go about breaking apart the frame into separate free body diagrams

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-4_17-58-16.png
    upload_2018-5-4_17-58-16.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,300
Last edited:
upload_2018-5-4_20-29-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-4_20-29-29.png
    upload_2018-5-4_20-29-29.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,315
lc99 said:
The question wants me to find reaction forces at supports D and A
Then you should not need to get into details of forces on the pulleys. Just treat ABC and its pulleys as one body. You can include the sections of rope in contact with the pulleys and between the pulleys.

haruspex said:
Then you should not need to get into details of forces on the pulleys. Just treat ABC and its pulleys as one body. You can include the sections of rope in contact with the pulleys and between the pulleys.
Thank you. I'll be back with a new diagram and hopefully the correct answer!

haruspex said:
Thanks so much. I was able to get the correct answer. Ughh, this took a while for me to figure out! I didn't know i didn't have to draw the pulley...I kept getting the wrong numbers with that.

lc99 said:
I was able to get the correct answer
Out of curiosity: did you have to assume pulley C has diameter zero ? I can't find the torque of ##\bf P## around A if I cannot make that assumption.

BvU said:
Out of curiosity: did you have to assume pulley C has diameter zero ? I can't find the torque of ##\bf P## around A if I cannot make that assumption.
Yes, I noticed that but decided it did not matter.
If we treat the straight sections of rope and the forces they exert as all separate then the two pieces touching a pulley exert a net force which passes through the centre of the pulley. The magnitudes, directions and lines of action are independent of the pulley radius, and we can notionally shrink them all to zero.

Likes lc99

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs through the groove. When force is applied to one end of the rope, the pulley can lift or move an object attached to the other end. This is because the pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object by distributing it over multiple ropes and pulleys.

2. What is the purpose of using pins on a frame with a pulley?

Pins are used on a frame with a pulley to act as anchor points for the ropes or cables. They keep the ropes in place and prevent them from slipping off the pulley, ensuring that the pulley system functions properly and efficiently.

3. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force applied to the rope. For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and the force applied to the rope is 20 pounds, the mechanical advantage would be 5 (100/20 = 5).

4. Can I use multiple pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage?

Yes, adding more pulleys to a system can increase the mechanical advantage. Each additional pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object, making it easier to lift heavier objects. However, adding more pulleys also increases the length of rope needed for the system.

5. What are some common applications of pulleys with pins on a frame?

Pulleys with pins on a frame are commonly used in various industries, such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation. They are also commonly used in everyday objects, such as window blinds, exercise equipment, and flagpoles. Pulleys with pins on a frame are also used in rescue operations, such as in cranes and hoists, to lift heavy objects or people to safety.