Pulley system to balance the weight of a person

In summary, @lorenz0 has provided a summary of the content of this conversation. The upper pulley has a mass which results in ##T_4=3F+M_Pg.##
lorenz0
Homework Statement
If the mass of the man to be saved is ##m##, the mass of the smaller pulley ##m_p## and the mass of the bigger pulley ##M_p##, find: ##T_1, T_2, T_3, T_4, T_5, F.##
Relevant Equations
##\vec{F}=m\vec{a}##
Since we are dealing with an ideal rope, we have that ##T_1=T_2=T_3=F and T_2+T_3=2F=(m+m_p)g\Leftrightarrow F=\frac{m+m_p}{2}g.##
##T_4=3F+(m+m_p+M_p)g=\frac{3}{2}(m+m_p)g+(m+m_p+M_p)g=(\frac{5}{2}m+\frac{5}{2}m_p+M_p)g## and ##T_5=mg-2F.##

Is this correct? If not, I woould appreciate a brief explanation on how to deal with these ideal-pulley ideal-rope systems since they seem quite counterintuitive to me.

Attachments

• pulley.png
    pulley.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 74
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that ##T_1 = T_2 = T_3## and that we can call this ##F##. As you say, the pulleys are ideal so all three tensions will match.

I agree that ##T_2 + T_3 = 2F##. Since those two tensions support the man plus the smaller pulley, it follows that ##2F = (m+m_p)g##. So yes, we can conclude that ##F=\frac{m+m_p}{2}g##

You will have to persuade me that ##T_4 = 3F + (m + m_p + M_p)g##. How did you arrive at that? I think you are double dipping there.

Likes lorenz0, Steve4Physics and Lnewqban
@lorenz0, in addition to what @jbriggs444 has said, can I add this...

Presumably the system is in equilibrium (acceleration = 0).

Your equations/logic could be clearer if not joined together into a single line/paragraph.

The facts that ##T_1 = T_2 = T_3## and ##T_2+T_3=2F## lead to ##T_1 = F##. Can you see a simpler way to get this relationship directly?

All parts of the system are in equilibrium. You can draw a free body diagram for any part of the system. If you draw (or just imagine) a free body diagram for the upper pulley alone, it should help you.

Likes Lnewqban and lorenz0
Steve4Physics said:
@lorenz0, in addition to what @jbriggs444 has said, can I add this...

Presumably the system is in equilibrium (acceleration = 0).

Your equations/logic could be clearer if not joined together into a single line/paragraph.

The facts that ##T_1 = T_2 = T_3## and ##T_2+T_3=2F## lead to ##T_1 = F##. Can you see a simpler way to get this relationship directly?

All parts of the system are in equilibrium. You can draw a free body diagram for any part of the system. If you draw (or just imagine) a free body diagram for the upper pulley alone, it should help you.
Drawing the free body diagram for the upper pulley alone, it seems that ##T_4=3F+M_Pg.## Is this correct?

Last edited:
lorenz0 said:
Drawing the free body diagram for the upper pulley alone, it seems that ##T_4=3F.## Is this correct?
No. You missed something this time.

jbriggs444 said:
No. You missed something this time.
The mass of the upper pulley, I guess.

Likes jbriggs444
lorenz0 said:
Drawing the free body diagram for the upper pulley alone, it seems that ##T_4=3F.## Is this correct?
Pulley.jpg

lorenz0 said:
The mass of the upper pulley, I guess.
You mean the weight of the upper pulley. (Hopefully it's not a 'guess', as a free body diagram must include the body's weight.) Your Post #4 edited equation is now correct.

BTW, it's best to not significantly edit a post once someone has replied to it. Better to write a new Post making clear any changes you want. That can avoid confusion and messages at cross-purposes.

Likes lorenz0 and Lnewqban

1. How does a pulley system work to balance the weight of a person?

A pulley system uses a combination of ropes, wheels, and a central axle to distribute the weight of an object evenly. When a person stands on one side of the pulley, their weight is transferred to the rope, which is then redirected to the other side of the pulley. This creates an equal force on both sides, allowing the person's weight to be balanced.

2. What are the main components of a pulley system?

The main components of a pulley system are the rope, the pulley wheel, and the axle. The rope is attached to the object being lifted and is looped around the pulley wheel, which is then connected to the axle. The axle serves as the central point of rotation for the pulley system.

3. How many pulleys are needed to balance the weight of a person?

To balance the weight of a person, at least two pulleys are needed. This creates a simple pulley system known as a "single fixed pulley." However, adding more pulleys can increase the mechanical advantage and make it easier to lift heavier weights.

4. What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is the ratio of the output force (the weight being lifted) to the input force (the force applied to the rope). In a simple pulley system with one fixed pulley, the mechanical advantage is 1, meaning the input force and output force are equal. Adding more pulleys increases the mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavier weights.

5. Are there different types of pulley systems for balancing weight?

Yes, there are different types of pulley systems for balancing weight, including single fixed pulleys, compound pulleys, and block and tackle systems. Each type has its own unique configuration and mechanical advantage, making them useful for different applications. The type of pulley system used depends on the weight being lifted and the desired mechanical advantage.